Flexible fuel hose and BSS

Featured Posts

I've got my  BSS coming up and a broken fuel pipe. It's the return of unused diesel from the back of the fuel filter, goes back to the tank  I think I've tracked down (with a lot of help from this site and its FB page) the banjo and first bit of pipe, which leaves me with two bits of 3/16 copper pipe to join together. This was originally done with a bit of flexible fuel hose and I can't work out from the BSS book if this is legit or not - it was replaced by solid pipe a few years ago. One engineer has sworn it's fine and another says it isn't - any examiners on here to give me a definitive answer?

My diesel boat has fuel hose from the tank outlet fuel tap to the agglomerator, then hose to the engine, then hose from the engine back to the tap and overflow spigot on the fuel tank.  So basically all hose between the tank and engine in both directions.  The hose to metal joints are proprietary joints, ie supplied with the hose crimped onto the banjo pipe.

Never had a BSS problem.

The BSS checklist requirements include -

From 2.10.2 ........Fuel feed, return and on-engine hoses must be marked, to denote both suitability for the fuel used and fire resistance, to BS EN ISO7840 or an equivalent standard. 

From 2.11.1   .......Fuel hose connections must be either pre-made end fittings on hose assemblies or hose clips/clamps onto hose nozzles or formed pipe-ends.  Fuel line connections must be free of signs of leaks, signs of damage or deterioration.

I am sure you have it, but if anyone else reading this is interested the BSS checklist is here - https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/194782/2013ecp_private _boats_ed3_public_final.pdf

I think its advised to keep the flexible hose sections reasonably short, but I think that's only advice. I have some quite long flexible sections and not had any BSS troubles. BSS examiners can be a bit variable so its hard to give a definitive answer. Joins should either be proper crimped (swaged) joints, or double stainless jubilee clips (I think).

..............Dave

25 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I am sure you have it, but if anyone else reading this is interested the BSS checklist is here - https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/194782/2013ecp_private _boats_ed3_public_final.pdf

That is NOT the current guide. It was revised in 2015 and the current one is available here: https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

Note that any flexible hose must be marked with the BS/EN spec. If it's a plain hose with no marking an astute inspector will fail it. Obviously it must also be free of any cracks, tears, rips etc (I had a boat fail where at some time in the past a fuel hose had rested against a pulley and had a wear mark on it). 

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

opps - thanks for that.

No probs - lots of folk have the old one bookmarked. The BSS really should change the file name to prevent old bookmarks from working. 

Whilst out last year, I developed a leak on the flexi from the agglomerator to the fuel lift pump which did not show at first because it was sucking in air. This was a premade pipe with crimped ends. The boatyard I called into for assistance cut through the crimps with an angle grinder, leaving the connectors, which were steel, with a ridge on them that the rubber was crimped over. They then supplied a length of the properly marked fuel rubber pipe and two jubilee clips. This passed BSS earlier this year. I now carry a length of compliant hose and relevant jubilee clips (plus the hacksaw I already have) to allow for a recurrence.

The lesson I learnt was that if the connectors in the end of a made up pipe turn in the rubber, change the pipe.

I received a "kit" from Webasto which included flexible hose lengths that had no markings that could be seen. This was queried by a BSS examiner during a preliminary inspection. I contacted Webasto who confirmed that the hose was up to specification. BSS examiner happy however although OK at the moment I feel that Webasto really should supply flexible with the required markings. I expect most on here would agree?

I find jubilee clips at these diameters not very effective because the screw prevents them taking up a circular shape.  Double ear hose clips, squeezed with the correct pliers have always worked.  They also give a neat appearance.

DOUBLE EAR CLAMP O CLIPS AIR SILICONE FUEL HOSE PIPE END SIDE CLOSING PINCERS

295V8NOTE380clips.jpg

showing a distorted, oval 'jubilee' clip.  The type on the right is better.

Edited by mross

19 minutes ago, mross said:

Double ear hose clips, squeezed with the correct pliers have always worked.  They also give a neat appearance.

With those double ear clips, does one crimp one side, then the other, or does the plier somehow crimp both sides at once?

one at a time.  The last photo shows "fuel hose clips" if you want to obtain some; they are easier to remove!  But double ear clips are the best.  The fact that people fit two jubilee clips suggest they don't trust one!  I've seen hoses damaged where jubilee clips were overtightened in a vain attempt to stop a 'weep'.

I seem to recall (could be wrong) that a previous version of the BSS rules demanded only swaged/crimped ends with no jubilee clips. Not particularly relevant if that's no longer required I guess. 

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've got my  BSS coming up and a broken fuel pipe. It's the return of unused diesel from the back of the fuel filter, goes back to the tank  I think I've tracked down (with a lot of help from this site and its FB page) the banjo and first bit of pipe, which leaves me with two bits of 3/16 copper pipe to join together. This was originally done with a bit of flexible fuel hose and I can't work out from the BSS book if this is legit or not - it was replaced by solid pipe a few years ago. One engineer has sworn it's fine and another says it isn't - any examiners on here to give me a definitive answer?

If that's all you're doing, just use a straight (compression fitting) union and forget about flexible - you don't need any!

• Greenie 1

On 10/06/2017 at 17:47, PhilAtterley said:

If that's all you're doing, just use a straight (compression fitting) union and forget about flexible - you don't need any!

That's what we've done in the end. Problem was it's a 3/16th pipe and compression fittings for that are like hen's teeth - we got one in Aquafax and therefore bought their entire stock.  King's Lock chandlery didn't have any - they had one  with a third output so my engineer bought that too. Could have got them online I'm sure.