Killamarsh Route Refinement Consultation

Featured Posts

On Monday 5th June, there was a consultation with the people of Killamarsh about a change to the proposed route of the Chesterfield Canal through the village when it is restored.

While I doubt there will be that many members of this forum who known of the village of Killamarsh let alone have an understanding of how the land lies I do feel that the information provided in the consultation is interesting to look at and even though we do not live in the area affected I found I had some strong opinions about which I feel would serve the village better and would be more inviting to visit from a boaters perspective. 

KM1.png

KM3.pngKM4.pngKM2.png

There is a really detailed PDF available to download which shows "fly through" images of the routes which help greatly with visualisation.

If you visit the web page here: http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/wp-canalsite/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/KM4.png

There is a link on that webpage you can download the PDF and, should you wish to fill in the questionnaire, there is also a link to that too. 

I wonder how may of you, as boaters, share my views? 

Its difficult without being on the ground I remember Killamarsh as a kid and into my 20s. In recent years I have been back for various reasons and still like the place, for me a canal through the village is a big plus [unlike Rotherham where its a rubbish dump, drug and prostitution habitat!!] villages seem to go well with canals Towns and cities dont. I will look at the downloads and visit the place I think

• Greenie 1

I think that is why the "fly through" images help so much, certainly for me. I really haven't much knowledge of the area at all. I have friends who live there and met them at the consultation last Monday and even though I could drive to their house with ease when we left the leisure centre I had to ask them where their home was in relation to where we were!

At the presentation they had a "rolling" presentation which took tou along the canal and back again as if you were viewing it from a low flying drone which was really helpful. The still images are not as good but still give a good insight.

Sadly the file size of the presentation made it very difficult to work with and it took a lot of tweaking by someone techy and a seriously high powered computer for it to run smoothly on the night so the online version is a very good compromise I think

I seem to recall a feature of the earlier schemes included making the Rother navigable to Rotherham, opening up a new boating ring potential. Has this concept taken a back seat? It certainly captured the imagination at the time!

It is however,important to keep pressing on with the route through Killamarsh as it bring the restoration closer to the locks, tunnel and other proposals for the canal to link up with the present limit of navigation

On 2017-6-10 at 13:49, magpie patrick said:

The "new" plan seems to indicate both routes, which is confusing - unless "Central Line East" will be built in part anyway. Will there really be a junction on the scheme, four locks from the marina indicated?

I am sorry, for some reason the link I posted just opened a photo rather than taking you to the website where you can download a presentation with a number of maps and "fly-through" images.

I will try again

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/route-refinement-consultation-in-killamarsh/

On 2017-6-15 at 12:01, Heartland said:

I seem to recall a feature of the earlier schemes included making the Rother navigable to Rotherham, opening up a new boating ring potential. Has this concept taken a back seat? It certainly captured the imagination at the time!

It is however,important to keep pressing on with the route through Killamarsh as it bring the restoration closer to the locks, tunnel and other proposals for the canal to link up with the present limit of navigation

The Rother Valley Link has not gone away and is very much waiting in the wings. The restoration of the last 9 miles of the Chesterfield Canal HAS to be first and foremost in the priorities of Chesterfield Canal Trust but there is occasionally some suggestion that it could be an outside organisation that takes on and creates The Rother Link, mainly because it is a very useful thing to have for a variety of reasons. 

Some time back I heard that the government had charged all water companies to create a means in their area for large amounts of water to be moved quickly to help alleviate potential flooding. A water company "found" the plan for the Rother Link and creating it would tick the box. They were last heard of looking at ways to get grant aid to build it using the build project as a way of training civil engineers. I have heard nothing of this since but I strongly suspect that the grant aid they were hoping to attract may have been EU money and so if they ever thought they might have got some it won't happen now. 

There is of course some gossip about a little railway project that might happen in the area and if they were to build their railway somebody suggested they are going to have more than a few bucket-fulls of rain water they need to drain ....