Walking down the gunnels

Featured Posts

When we picked up a boat on the Kennet and Avon this year we were told it is now an offence to walk along the gunnels or along the roof while the boat is moving. Apparently there have been a lot of accidents in the midlands so they have made it illegal on hire boats.

Anyone else come across this?

Or should I be looking over my shoulder for mister plod.

48 minutes ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

When we picked up a boat on the Kennet and Avon this year we were told it is now an offence to walk along the gunnels or along the roof while the boat is moving. Apparently there have been a lot of accidents in the midlands so they have made it illegal on hire boats.

Lol.

Was it April 1st you were told this??!

1 hour ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

In alternate months it is illegal to go outside even if you are moored up. 

Moving is strictly prohibited. 

The upside of this is reduced fuel bills for the duration of your holiday.

1 hour ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

It is in the terms and conditions signed by the hirer at Oxfordshire narrow boats. 

6 minutes ago, bastion said:

It is in the terms and conditions signed by the hirer at Oxfordshire narrow boats. 

That doesn't make it 'illegal', which is what the OP asked. 

It just means the T&Cs are being breached, and the hire company can sue for any losses they incur as a result of the breach. Probably also means they have a defence against being sued by a hirer should they they stupidly fall off the roof or gunwale. 

A chap I know who takes people on helmsman courses once told me he teaches his pupils to never walk along the gunwales as it's dangerous. He said the only safe way from the stern to the bow is through the cabin and out of the front door..   I did try to point out that isn't always possible with a traditional boat!

It doesn't take long for something like this to become accepted common knowledge and every one starts quoting it at you, and I mean at you, not to you. Years ago I hired a boat and was told it was illegal to navigate at night, I knew full well that it wasn't but just assumed that the hire boat company didn't have insurance cover for it or more likley didn't want idiots cruising their boat at night. Can't say I blame them for that.

walking the gunnels isn't the safest way to traverse the boat but then it isn't overly dangerous either and on occasion it it the most convenient way to get to where you need to be. I suspect that given time it will become an urban legend of the inland waterways that it "is illegal to walk on the gunnels or roof when the boat is in motion" and those that know it isn't will get fed up explaining, to those who believe that it is, the error of their unfounded beliefs. Next thing you know you will have people believing it is offensive to call a blackboard by the name it's been know by for hundreds of years.

Well said, Bewildered. My early boating experiences were largely with ex working craft, learning from both working boaters and those who strove to emulate them, myself included. Walking the gunnels, the cabin top and at times the top planks were all part of the boating norm. I can only deplore the mindset that adopts modern practice and seeks to impose it on others. I came to the cut as a youngster for the freedom to be found, along with the chance to use initiative and to absorb the sense of tradition. I've been very fortunate to use these in my work as a signwriter and boat decorator.

Travelling around traditional yards in the course of the job, I'm in regular touch with many old timers, both boaters, builders etc. So many, indeed most, share this sort of nonsense with gloom, some of whom are no longer as keen on boating because of these modernisms. It's not just me. For several years now I've preferred to boat in quieter months. One colleague avoids school holiday weeks like the plague. Having suffered an arthritic hip for some time and now convalescing following a new one, boating is on the back burner. At the moment, I'm not anxious to start again. Time will tell......

Dave

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Well said, Bewildered. My early boating experiences were largely with ex working craft, learning from both working boaters and those who strove to emulate them, myself included. Walking the gunnels, the cabin top and at times the top planks were all part of the boating norm. I can only deplore the mindset that adopts modern practice and seeks to impose it on others. I came to the cut as a youngster for the freedom to be found, along with the chance to use initiative and to absorb the sense of tradition. I've been very fortunate to use these in my work as a signwriter and boat decorator.

Travelling around traditional yards in the course of the job, I'm in regular touch with many old timers, both boaters, builders etc. So many, indeed most, share this sort of nonsense with gloom, some of whom are no longer as keen on boating because of these modernisms. It's not just me. For several years now I've preferred to boat in quieter months. One colleague avoids school holiday weeks like the plague. Having suffered an arthritic hip for some time and now convalescing following a new one, boating is on the back burner. At the moment, I'm not anxious to start again. Time will tell......

Dave

Me too. It's a delight to boat in the quieter months as you put it. 

It is also a delight, just a different one, to boat in high summer and marvel at all the marina dwellers with grim and stressed expressions on their faces out on their once-a-year cruises on their £100k shiny boats getting stressed in case a fender gets scratched. 

When travelling on old working boats I spend most of the time standing on the gunnels and walking along them is the only way to get from the counter to the hold. I would suggest explaining to hirers the importance of knowing what to do if someone slips from the gunnel, knocking the engine out of gear and throwing a life ring near them, would be far more beneficial rather than suggesting it is illegal to do it.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I heard legging through tunnels was likely to result in the death penalty being re-introduced.

Only if somebody then loses the evidence that you've done it.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Only if somebody then loses the evidence that you've done it.

I've got evidence thanks. Maybe you weren't there.

I nearly proved it's dangerous to stand on the gunwales when I slipped and dipped a toe in. Also was at risk of falling asleep when stood on them at 0230 in the morning.

21 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I've got evidence thanks. Maybe you weren't there.

I nearly proved it's dangerous to stand on the gunwales when I slipped and dipped a toe in. Also was at risk of falling asleep when stood on them at 0230 in the morning.

Any chance you could bring said wet toe to court as evidence?

1 hour ago, Bewildered said:

Any chance you could bring said wet toe to court as evidence?

It was a bit difficult to preserve the evidence. It was the second foot in water scenario in a week.

I am a repeat offender.

Edited by Captain Pegg