Re-painting over new shiny gloss paint

Featured Posts

Hello everyone 

I've purchased a new boat as sailaway + additions. The boat is painted in colours that I don't like, the reason I went ahead and purchased despite this was because circumstances meant we needed to find a boat to buy much earlier than planned and this matched our needs bar the paint! 

The boat is painted in a black gloss with a red coach line. I want to re paint it myself but I'm not sure exactly what will be entailed. As it's newly painted, would it be enough to sand it down enough that the surface becomes rough and then just paint the toplac on top? It's a dark turquoise colour I'll be painting so I think it will be o-k over the black. 

Any advice appricated. :)

Thanks 

Caitlin 

14 minutes ago, ianali said:

Sail away plus, so plenty to do... I would really, really consider keeping the paint as it is. Ian.

Thanks. It's fitted to a stage where all the electrics, water etc are in, including sockets, pumps. 

It will be the last job I do but I'd still like some advice on how to do it! 

You need to watch out that the existing coach line is not raised above the surrounding paint, if you don't intend to put another coach line at that point.  Often I have seen boats where a coach line or the divide of different colours has been painted out, and if you don't fully flatten any edge, it can stand out like a sore thumb.

I assume you consider the existing paint to be in very good order?  If so just flattening the gloss off it shouldbe OK, though I would still undercoat before top-coating in your new colour.  Top coat seldom has the same ability to over-paint a different colour as you get with an undercoat designed for just that purpose, and if you only use top coat, i may take more coats than you might imagine.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, ianali said:

Sail away plus, so plenty to do... I would really, really consider keeping the paint as it is. Ian.

We bought a lined sail away plus additions, we are still working on it after 5 years. Is a boat ever finished?

We have had a lot of time on board and several boating seasons travelling as well.

Cheers

David

You need to know what the original paint was. If it was a two pack or other kind of coating, it may react with your chosen paint once sanded back. 

Try a small area first.

like Alan says, you will almost certainly need an undercoat on a black base layer.

• Greenie 1

I use wet and dry for this sort of job, as Alan says, watch the coach line, its not worth even thinking about going back to bare steel or anything as daft as that, to repaint a coach line you can paint your chosen colour, say, a couple of inches wide with well feathered edges, apply top quality masking tape of , say, an inch wide in a nice straight line then paint your other top colours either side then remove the tape asap before it sticks permanently. There are other ways of doing it but speaking as a dinosaur that's what I do. I also use paint rollers, others would rather pull out their teeth with pliers than use rollers but it gives a pretty good result.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Cpickle said:

Thanks. It's fitted to a stage where all the electrics, water etc are in, including sockets, pumps. 

I hope my earlier post didn't come across as critical or judgemental. I just think you will be busy enough on other tasks. Bet you will love every minute, enjoy the new boat.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Cpickle said:

Don't worry, by the time you get to it the current paint will be years old and it will be time to take it back & repaint from scratch.

Seriously, do the rest of the boat first. It will take so much longer than you think and you will be glad you didn't mess with the paint.

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

You need to watch out that the existing coach line is not raised above the surrounding paint, if you don't intend to put another coach line at that point.  Often I have seen boats where a coach line or the divide of different colours has been painted out, and if you don't fully flatten any edge, it can stand out like a sore thumb.

I assume you consider the existing paint to be in very good order?  If so just flattening the gloss off it shouldbe OK, though I would still undercoat before top-coating in your new colour.  Top coat seldom has the same ability to over-paint a different colour as you get with an undercoat designed for just that purpose, and if you only use top coat, i may take more coats than you might imagine.

Alan 

Thank you so much for the constructive reply, that's really helpful. :) 

Caitlin 

44 minutes ago, Giant said:

Don't worry, by the time you get to it the current paint will be years old and it will be time to take it back & repaint from scratch.

Seriously, do the rest of the boat first. It will take so much longer than you think and you will be glad you didn't mess with the paint.

Thanks, that's what intend to do. I am having professionals do much of the work on the boat, so I hope the paint will not be years old as you say! 

3 hours ago, Bee said:

I use wet and dry for this sort of job, as Alan says, watch the coach line, its not worth even thinking about going back to bare steel or anything as daft as that, to repaint a coach line you can paint your chosen colour, say, a couple of inches wide with well feathered edges, apply top quality masking tape of , say, an inch wide in a nice straight line then paint your other top colours either side then remove the tape asap before it sticks permanently. There are other ways of doing it but speaking as a dinosaur that's what I do. I also use paint rollers, others would rather pull out their teeth with pliers than use rollers but it gives a pretty good result.

Thank you Bee. :)

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

You need to know what the original paint was. If it was a two pack or other kind of coating, it may react with your chosen paint once sanded back. 

Try a small area first.

like Alan says, you will almost certainly need an undercoat on a black base layer.

Thank you Matty. I will check with the Boatbuilder re the type of paint. 

Edited by Cpickle

As the boat is new and I assume has a good paint job, then unless you are a good painter yourself with experience of brushing enamel then maybe hire an indoor wet dock/paint shed and employ somebody who has done it before. It does not need to be a full spec master boat painter (big money), there are several "second division" towpath painters who will do a very reasonable job for a reasonable price.

.............Dave

58 minutes ago, dmr said:

As the boat is new and I assume has a good paint job, then unless you are a good painter yourself with experience of brushing enamel then maybe hire an indoor wet dock/paint shed and employ somebody who has done it before. It does not need to be a full spec master boat painter (big money), there are several "second division" towpath painters who will do a very reasonable job for a reasonable price.

.............Dave

In response to Caitlin, I think I am on Dave's side. In asking the question, you obviously do not know paints - as one who was experienced in painting boats (and those in the "second division" + lower divisions) will know what is involved. I too assume it has a good paint job, and unless you are experienced, you will not get near what you have now. Large flat areas are not easy to get a great finish - and any imperfections will show up badly. Get someone with experience to do it.

I brush painted my last boat and the finish was good but very hard to do!! This boat I spray painted finish much better than brush and took a week in a dry dock. Even after 5 years its still good, I would brighten up your existing paint rather than a full repaint add some panels in a different colour maybe

• Greenie 1

That's an excellent idea. Work with what you have, even if it is for the "interim" while you get the rest of the boat done. At least you don't have to worry about being in primer only and trying to get it done asap. Maybe just paint the roof a lighter colour - something that will work with your eventual colour? I imagine black would make the boat pretty hot in the sun.