River Trent - Tide Times for June & July

Featured Posts

Tide Tables for Hull or June & July 2017.

Allows you to work out your timings for the River Trent - ie at Cromwell Lock the 'Flood' starts roughly 4 hours after HW Hull, and the 'Ebb' begins approximately 5 hours after HW Hull

Edit to add : Times are already adjusted to BST

June - July Tide Tables.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, mross said:

flood 4 hours after and ebb 5 hours after?????????????????? One should be before????

Alan is correct. See here - at Cromwell the flood starts 4h after HW Hull, and finishes one hour later, when the ebb starts.

tidaltrent.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

This has relevance, as all being well we would be going from Cromwell to Torksey on the 4th or 5th of July.  Obviously nearer the time I will consult the lock keeper, but when would you expect to leave Cromwell, at the start of the Ebb?

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

This has relevance, as all being well we would be going from Cromwell to Torksey on the 4th or 5th of July.  Obviously nearer the time I will consult the lock keeper, but when would you expect to leave Cromwell, at the start of the Ebb?

We usually leave a couple of hours before high water . There is hardly any tide to slow you down that far up river.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We usually leave a couple of hours before high water . There is hardly any tide to slow you down that far up river.

What would the lock opening times be given start of ebb at Cromwell is 08:40 on the 4th?  Does it get to a point at low water where you can not get over the cill at Torksey?

pends

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

Does it get to a point at low water where you can not get over the cill at Torksey?

Yes - usually. Not always.

this is the thing with the Trent . No rules apply all of the time . Not all rules suit all boats.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

What would the lock opening times be given start of ebb at Cromwell is 08:40 on the 4th?  Does it get to a point at low water where you can not get over the cill at Torksey?

Yes it does.

As a general rule you can get over the cill at Torksey two hours before high water to a few hours after. 

But that can be affected by many factors including how much fresh is on the river.

If you miss the lock at Torksey there is a pontoon in the cut to wait for the next tide.

It is 16 miles, so say a max of 4 hours in a NB, so would need to leave 2 hours befor HW at Cromwell to be able to get into Torksey then. The pontoons give the security of a fallback.  So that means leaving Cromwell 06:40 on 4th July, would the lock be open then, i.e. do they open at times based on the tide or is it fixed daytime hours only?

5 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/9676/cromwell-lock implies that Cromwell will open at 0700, but earlier opening can be arranged with five days notice!  I would suggest you ring Cromwell rather than Newark ??

Thanks. Not sure I would know my timing 5 days in advance, so I may aim for the 5th as that works better with the lock hours.  I will talk to Cromwell lock a couple of days before anyway.  Can you moor overnight at Cromwell lock?

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

.  Can you moor overnight at Cromwell lock?

Either on the visitors pontoon, or, against the wall.

On the Pontoon, you can more a NB both sides (both landward and river side)

Toilets, showers, elsan, electric points, Brick built BBQ's for visitor use.

Lockie will call you on VHF when lock is ready to enter.

On the wall at Cromwell with our Cruiser, and on the Visitor pontoon with our NB

CAM00011.jpg

IMG_20140426_184530.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Either on the visitors pontoon, or, against the wall.

Toilets, showers, elsan, electric points, Brick built BBQ's for visitor use.

Lockie will call you on VHF when lock is ready to enter.

On the wall at Cromwell with our Cruiser, and on the Visitor pontoon with our NB

CAM00011.jpg

IMG_20140426_184530.jpg

Great info thanks

9 hours ago, mross said:

OK, I thought it was a typo as this sounded wrong to me.  I stand corrected.

Over the 70 plus miles from Hull to Cromwell the tide is progressively much delayed and diminished from the times and ranges that hold good at Hull, with a shortening period of flood and a correspondingly longer period of ebb as you go further upriver.

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

Aiming for Torksey from Cromwell you can go at any time that suits you. If you have a set of the Trent charts with you and you keep to the deep water channel, there is more than ample depth all the way for a canal boat at any state of the tide. There are floating pontoon moorings in Torksey Cut on which you can wait if there isn't enough depth over the outer cill when you arrive.

If you just happen to leave Cromwell at a time that will see you meeting the flood just short of Torksey then you will have the easiest possible passage. On the last of the ebb the nesses and the drying, shallow, shelving banks along the racks will help you to judge where the deepest water is, you will be stemming the tide so the turn into Torksey Cut will be as easy as it can be, and on everything except the smallest of neaps there will be enough water over the outer cill for you to get straight into the lock without having to wait at all. An added bonus to going downriver late on the ebb is that if you do happen to get it wrong and ground somewhere, then you won't have very long to wait before the next tide lifts you off and you're on your way again.

Edited by PhilAtterley

5 minutes ago, PhilAtterley said:

Torksey Cut will be as easy as it can be, and on everything except the smallest of neaps there will be enough water over the outer cill for you to get straight into the lock

Very true - but some of the Lockies are 'jobsworths' and have been instructed not to allow you to enter the lock until there is in excess of 3 feet of water over the cill.

Unfortunately the boater has no control over the lock operation.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Very true - but some of the Lockies are 'jobsworths' and have been instructed not to allow you to enter the lock until there is in excess of 3 feet of water over the cill.

Unfortunately the boater has no control over the lock operation.

That could be a major inconvenience for a good many folk if we have a dry Summer. I've known it struggle to make 3' over the old outer cill on poor tides after a long, hot, dry spell when there's no fresh in the river, and I believe that BW were stupid enough to make the outer cill on the new chamber the same height as the old one.

Edit to add:

I noticed a few posts back that someone said - quote - "As a general rule you can get over the cill at Torksey two hours before high water to a few hours after." - this is complete and utter nonsense; the flood runs up at Torksey for only 2 hours at the very most, and usually for quite a bit less, so 2 hours before (local) HW is in fact the last few minutes of ebb, with the tide/river level as low as it's going to get !

Edited by PhilAtterley

When the tide arrives at Torksey on springs the water level goes up pretty quickly. A few minutes can gain a foot. So getting over the cill 2 hrs before HW isnt far off the mark (in round numbers )

On Neaps its less pronounced of course.

On springs the tide doesn't necessarily go all the way out at Torksey before the next tide arrives .

The tide can be early or late depending on weather conditions. Half an hour late on one occasion when we were out last year.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

When the tide arrives at Torksey on springs the water level goes up pretty quickly. A few minutes can gain a foot. So getting over the cill 2 hrs before HW isnt far off the mark (in round numbers )

On Neaps its less pronounced of course.

On springs the tide doesn't necessarily go all the way out at Torksey before the next tide arrives .

The tide can be early or late depending on weather conditions. Half an hour late on one occasion when we were out last year.

I wouldn't disagree with Dunkley or Phil as he is trying to have us believe now. He is (in his mind anyway) the oracle of the Trent and what he says goes. :banghead: