CRT licence cancellation and BSC records

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hi :)  If you move your boat off CRT waters,  does anyone know the process you would take to tell CRT, and how to stop payments to them? We pay via debit order. Also, as far as I remember when we did our boat safety, we didn't receive a paper copy of the BSC...it was just updated on CRT side (I think they use some sort of PC based system now that inspectors submit directly to?  Is it possible to get a copy of a BSC by asking CRT...

Didn't bother telling them when we moved. (unless you are after a refund) 

Can't you just stop paying dd when no longer liable. 

Don't know about paper bsc as haven't needed one. 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat/licensing-faqs

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/bss-certificates-explained/

Edited by rusty69

The BSC is electronic now you don't get a paper certificate.  You should have been sent a receipt by the examiner and that as the number on it, that should be all you need as all the navigation authorities have access to the electronic database.

As to the CRT payment, I would not just cancel the direct debit, when it bounces that could cause you credit rating issues.  I would  talk to CRT as to the correct process as I would have thought you have committed to an annual licence even though you have not paid it all yet.

3 hours ago, john6767 said:

The BSC is electronic now you don't get a paper certificate.  You should have been sent a receipt by the examiner and that as the number on it, that should be all you need as all the navigation authorities have access to the electronic database.

As to the CRT payment, I would not just cancel the direct debit, when it bounces that could cause you credit rating issues.  I would  talk to CRT as to the correct process as I would have thought you have committed to an annual licence even though you have not paid it all yet.

You don't get a paper one automatically, but I understand that the examiner must provide you with one if you ask for it.

26 minutes ago, PaulG said:

You don't get a paper one automatically, but I understand that the examiner must provide you with one if you ask for it.

That is what I meant by the "receipt"; from the BSS web site.  Other than that it is all electronic I believable, there is no formal certificate as they used to be, exactly as it now with MOT's for cars.

After a successful boat examination, the owner will get a copy of the receipt-style certificate, also called a BSS Examination Report, to keep for their own records. The report can be either a print-out, an electronic version or both as the boat owner prefers - this preference should be made clear when arranging the examination.

I have just had the BSC done on my boat and the examiner sent me a pdf version of the certificate by e mail, if I wanted a hard copy, just print one was the advise.

Bazza

Edited by Bazza954