Pomona Lock Manchester

DeanS

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Does anyone know what is required in order to travel through Pomona lock in Manchester, onto the River Irwell..down to Salford Quays, but NOT through the lock which lies after Media City/Lowry.
Would I need to get a Manchester Ship Canal boat safety for that, or are boats allowed to make that trip without one (as apparently you only go onto the ship canal through the 2nd lock I've mentioned.

Would I just need to arrange for Pomona lock to be opened..and that would be all?

Pretty much just the payment for transiting the lock, and a boat which is compliant with the rules for CRT (or Bridgewater) waters - they'll accept the BSS, insurance etc. I can't remember if you actually need to show the documents or if they just accept them, proven by the fact you have the CRT licence etc. There is an information pack regarding the place you can moor in Salford Quays, a service point and the Irwell limit of navigation.

Pomona lock is very near Pomona Gardens a former Victorian pleasure garden. Folk set off from the centre of Manchester on the River Irwell by steamers and row boats to visit. They also crossed by the ferry on the Salford side. This ferry was almost over the site of the Roman paved ford used by them to and from their fort at Castlefield near by.  It was formed of square section blocks of red sandstone two foot by four foot saved to let water flow between the stones.

Pomona Gardens originally surrounded a private garden and as the fruit in the orchards and the rabbits in the river bank  there was much trespassing. Spring guns were set to shoot trespassers, this form of property defence was only outlawed in 1826. From 1830 to 1840 the gardens became a Zoological Gardens. There were enormous pavilions for dancing and refreshments. Political meetings were held here. Benjamin Disraeli spoke here and the audiences for these operations  were between 20 and 24 thousand.

I do remember  that when we traversed the Ship canal we overnighted at the' factory girls ' statue on the floating pontoon and had made arrangements to lock up through onto the Bridgwater with the Bridgwater canal authorities  . Bunny 

• 3 years later...