Waste Oil

Drayke

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Ace 01 said:

There is a council run recycling/tip about 50 yds along the road on the opposite side to the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury Junction on the W and B with the Droitwich.  They also do an excellent Sunday Lunch every day of the week (cheaper during the week).  Good excuse as any to stop by a pub (moorings outside or other side of bridge)

Cheers

David

Last time I was there we paid £2 50 for a cavery as it was two for the price of one and dam good to.

10 hours ago, Ace 01 said:

There is a council run recycling/tip about 50 yds along the road on the opposite side to the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury Junction on the W and B with the Droitwich.  They also do an excellent Sunday Lunch every day of the week (cheaper during the week).  Good excuse as any to stop by a pub (moorings outside or other side of bridge)

Cheers

David

A few years ago, they wouldn't allow pedestrian access there.

10 hours ago, Ace 01 said:

Cheers

David

I wish my local tip did Sunday meals :-)

Edited by Tim Lewis

21 hours ago, dmr said:

Its hard and getting harder to find places.

A few boatyards have taken oil from me in the past, especially if I have spent a lot of money on diesel. This year one of those yards wanted to make a hefty charge.

Some Council tips are becoming "local residents only" or "no admission for pedestrians", but most are not near the cut anyway. Middlewich is the only tip I am aware of close to the cut.

Last time I checked, the recyclers will collect oil for free but only in Huge quantities, so the average boatyard/marina will be paying to have it taken away.

With the growth in residential CCing boats I think CaRT really should now collect oil from its bin compounds otherwise its just going to end up getting dumped.

I believe that a calculation of oil sold vs oil recycled suggests that a LOT of oil goes into a hole in peoples back gardens.

................Dave

Stalybridge is close to the canal (bridge below Lock 4W)

10 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

So why cant CRT have an oil dump at rubbish locations, locked with a BW key?

Because it would cost CRT a fair bit of money to install these and then pay to get it emptied and then pay the clean up costs when people continue to pour their oil in even when it is full - and don't say they would not do it, as some elsan disposal points clearly suffer from this problem.  As BW keys are easily bought from ebay, locals (including small 'mobile' service mechanics) will also use the facility, and those without keys will just dump their full containers next to the locked up tank for someone else to empty.  All these extra cost would have to be paid by somebody................

• Greenie 4

I often spot cans of used oil sitting by bridge 'oles, locks and boaters rubbish points. But then on occasion I have had boaters freely admit that they often empty toilet cassettes in fields rather than wait until the get to an elsan. I have seen the occupants of a car turf out vast amounts of litter whilst parked 10 feet from a bin so not much surprises me about the habits of certain boaters, or people in general. 

One of those is about 200 yards from Fobney lock - unfortunately they will not let you walk in (cars only) AND you need a Reading & Wokingham sticker in your windscreen because West Berkshire DC will not pay to be art of the scheme.

On 08/06/2017 at 13:44, 8 Hairy Feet said:

Near Nelson on the L&L there is a boaters

recycling facility.

Yep recycling, waste oil and water all at nice little jetty about 10 mins from barrowford locks, just near the council depot. Moored overnight there once - great spot until about 0530 in the morning when the bin wagons start up and start reversing...

On 7 June 2017 at 11:19, Tim Lewis said:

There used to be, and still could be, a waste oil point at Braunston Marina

Tim

I have disposed of oil at several boatyards, but that was years ago.  If you buy new tyres there is an environmental charge for disposal of the old ones, whether or not this is shown.  I think it would make sense to include the disposal costs on oil and make it easy and free to dispose of so that no-one is tempted to do something silly like pour it down drains or into an Elsan point.

Cambrian basin rubbish point at the top of Farmers Bridge has a notice up saying to please leave oil containers to one side of the bins, not in the bins. Which I take as "permission" to leave my old oil there. We have in the past left oil in the recycling centre near Bishopton, Stratford on Avon, one field away from the canal. But as mentioned, some councils are tightening up on non-residents / pedestrians.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

please leave oil containers to one side of the bins, not in the bins. Which I take as "permission" to leave my old oil there.

A classic example of the exception proving the rule.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I trust that was intended as a joke and not a serious suggestion.

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

It is a serious suggestion.

Must say, I thought you were joking. It's an offence to fly tip waste oil!

Spurred on by this thread I have just been to Uttoxeter tip and disposed of a backlog of waste engine oil.

This consistented of 4x5l bottles, from various cars, diggers and boats including one which I picked up from the side of a canal loo block with no bins, clearly left by a boater.

No questions asked or records made, I did arrive by car but before the tip move from the end of my road I have been on foot towing a wheelie bin before now!

They do have a limit on car tyres from past experience, and according to next door refused to take a bathrooms worth of pladterboard and tiles earlier in the year.

###

While I have a 1950's book that talks about how to make a waste oil drain point at the back of your garden, I can't condone pouring waste engine oil into the hedgerow either.

Daniel