Waste Oil

Drayke

Featured Posts

On 14/06/2017 at 13:35, mango said:

I have disposed of oil at several boatyards, but that was years ago.  If you buy new tyres there is an environmental charge for disposal of the old ones, whether or not this is shown.  I think it would make sense to include the disposal costs on oil and make it easy and free to dispose of so that no-one is tempted to do something silly like pour it down drains or into an Elsan point.

Or dump it in streams which can lead to this:

IMG_2235-1024x683.jpg

IMG_2236-1024x683.jpg

We phoned C&RT and they basically closed the Middlewich Branch.....

Edited by StephenA

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

Or dump it in streams which can lead to this:

We phoned C&RT and they basically closed the Middlewich Branch.....

There is always the possibility an accident but it is likely to be due to downright stupidity.

35 minutes ago, mango said:

There is always the possibility an accident but it is likely to be due to downright stupidity.

Oh it was a large dumping of sump oil into a stream that feeds the canal that did that.....

On 2017-6-14 at 13:35, mango said:

If you buy new tyres there is an environmental charge for disposal of the old ones...

Is there? I know if you get tyres fitted, the cost of disposing of the old ones is factored in to the cost, which in part is why if you just bring an old tyre they won't take it off you.

But are you saying if a buy a new tyre, mail-order and fitting excluded, I have incurred an amount of charge to cover their future disposal? If so I think that is great and should be extended to engine/gear oil etc. However it would also be news to me.

Daniel

39 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Is there? I know if you get tyres fitted, the cost of disposing of the old ones is factored in to the cost, which in part is why if you just bring an old tyre they won't take it off you.

But are you saying if a buy a new tyre, mail-order and fitting excluded, I have incurred an amount of charge to cover their future disposal? If so I think that is great and should be extended to engine/gear oil etc. However it would also be news to me.

Daniel

Last time I had a couple of tyres fitted I was asked if I wanted to take the old ones away with me or pay for disposal - I paid.

My local car garage charged me £10 to dispose of 30 litres of coolant, which was not unreasonable, and my waste oil goes to my local recycling centre which it takes for no charge, but it is designed to make it very difficult to empty any container bigger than 5 litres into it.

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 23:25, Laurie.Booth said:

If it is mineral oil just put it on the grass verge by the tow path.

Edit by Magpie Patrick - this is illegal in the UK (and probably elsewhere)

But - it is the ultimate in re-cycling.

Put it back where it came from - 'Ashes to ashes, dust to dust'

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But - it is the ultimate in re-cycling.

Put it back where it came from - 'Ashes to ashes, dust to dust'

So using the same logic we don't need to store nuclear waste we should just spread it thinly over the land it first came from?

Ok I'll ask the politically incorrect question...

What is wrong with digging a hole in one's garden and pouring the odd five litres in there, once in a while?

Its hardly the Torrey Canyon and nature cleared that lot up in about 20 years.  

41 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok I'll ask the politically incorrect question...

What is wrong with digging a hole in one's garden and pouring the odd five litres in there, once in a while?

Its hardly the Torrey Canyon and nature cleared that lot up in about 20 years.  

I think that the difference is that with the Torrey Canyon the crap was eventually removed by the effects of the tides washing through, how often does the tide come in, in your garden?:unsure:. If you dump it in the garden all you are really doing is contaminating the soil (unless you've bred some worms who eat waste oil!). The more you do it the more soil you will be contaminating since it is hardly going to go anywhere.

So far on my travels I've disposed of about 100 litres of waste oil, always at a council recycling centres. I've found the easiest option is to turn up on a cycle (many don't have pedestrian access but a cycle is classed as a vehicle so you can still get in). When asked if I have identification of a local address, oddly enough, I never have but point out that I must be local since who is going to cycle far with 5 litres of oil in their pannier bag, seems to have worked so far:rolleyes:(except in BANES (Bath area) where they seemed wise to this idea and still wanted ID).

9 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think that the difference is that with the Torrey Canyon the crap was eventually removed by the effects of the tides washing through

It had to be the tides as the RAF spectacularly failed to hit and sink a stationary 'monster of an oil tanker' despite dropping over 150 of bombs over several days - not the RAFs finest hour

4 hours ago, DHutch said:

Daniel

It's much the same as postage.  Some companies show it separately and others include it.  Here is an example of an online tyre supplier that does include the environmental charge.  I don't know how the fitters are reimbursed for the cost of disposal.

Edit to add the missing link:  http://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/payment/what-does-the-price-include

Edited by mango
Link added

55 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think that the difference is that with the Torrey Canyon the crap was eventually removed by the effects of the tides washing through, how often does the tide come in, in your garden?:unsure:. If you dump it in the garden all you are really doing is contaminating the soil (unless you've bred some worms who eat waste oil!). The more you do it the more soil you will be contaminating since it is hardly going to go anywhere.

Well i believe you are wrong there. The TC tar didn't disburse, it was eaten by marine microbes. So tides in my garden are not  necessary  

I was wondering if something similar happened with buried oil as this is what my dad used to do, and when we dug a new hole in the same place as the old one, I don't ever remember finding any oil contaminated earth in each new hole. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well i believe you are wrong there. The TC tar didn't disburse, it was eaten by marine microbes. So tides in my garden are not  necessary  

I was wondering if something similar happened with buried oil as this is what my dad used to do, and when we dug a new hole in the same place as the old one, I don't ever remember finding any oil contaminated earth in each new hole. 

About 10 years ago I was complaining to someone about the problems I was having getting rid of waste oil.

He told me to put it on long grass and all would be OK.

I have now been doing this and the grass is thriving with no trace of oil.

4 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

About 10 years ago I was complaining to someone about the problems I was having getting rid of waste oil.

He told me to put it on long grass and all would be OK.

I have now been doing this and the grass is thriving with no trace of oil.

Given that only a generation ago this was the normal and accepted way to dispose of old oil, if it didn't disburse somehow you'd think there would be hundreds of threads on gardening forums and Facebook asking about how to decontaminate oily garden earth. But there aren't.  

Or maybe there are!!

My dad, who was a generally responsible person in a technical profession, believed buried oil disburses easily. I dont think he would have done it if there was a scientific basis to demonstrate otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given that only a generation ago this was the normal and accepted way to dispose of old oil, if it didn't disburse somehow you'd think there would be hundreds of threads on gardening forums and Facebook asking about how to decontaminate oily garden earth. But there aren't.  

Or maybe there are!!

My dad, who was a generally responsible person in a technical profession, believed buried oil disburses easily. I dont think he would have done it if there was a scientific basis to demonstrate otherwise. 

Purely opinion but

I would suggest it comes down to quantity and location, the occasional litre or two would be unlikely to cause a serious issue, as soil bacterial would likely deal with the base oil.

As long as the oil was held in the soil and not washed into a water course and the soil had a high organic percentage,  meaning sand/silt heavy soils weren't used, allowing time for the bacteria to work

Dumping large quantities could (?) Overwhelm the bacteria

But its not just about the base oil, modern oils contain all sorts of additives and waste oil contains all sorts of unpleasantness and even if these compounds are broken down, what is left behind?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not really sure that helps much since if you are introducing contaminants into the environment in the hope that microbes are going to eat them, they will accumulate further up the food chain since larger animals eat smaller animals, eat plankton,eat microbes,(bird eat worms, eat decaying matter and microbes etc.) spendid way of poisoning the environment I would suggest. As an example of contaminated soil, a dog that I used to have would step up onto our lawn an urinate as soon as he got there (always in the same place:angry:). Whilst he was alive he managed to kill all plant growth there so we had a permanent bald patch. The dog had now been dead for 9 years, the bald patch remains, since urine contains urea supposedly a fertilizer I would expect that contaminated oil would make something more of a mess.  

To be honest it's pretty cheapskate to pour used oil away by this means when, for a small cost, it can be properly dealt with. If you do that you are no longer in the position of being able to criticise anyone  leaves their dog sh*t on the towpath since, provided it's not already wrapped in a plastic bag awaiting the dog sh*t fairy it will decompose over time, isn't that much the same?:rolleyes:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree it was cheapskate. I don't remember there being oil disposal facilities at the local tip (and that IS what it was) back in the sixties. 

There were a lot of things done back in the 60's that aren't really that acceptable these days, we used to pump raw sh*t into the rivers and sea in those days, we seem to have changed our way of doing things these days. At least we can swim in the sea now rather than just going through the motions:sick:

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

There were a lot of things done back in the 60's that aren't really that acceptable these days, we used to pump raw sh*t into the rivers and sea in those days, we seem to have changed our way of doing things these days. At least we can swim in the sea now rather than just going through the motions:sick:

I take it you have not been down the Gt Ouse

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I take it you have not been down the Gt Ouse

No, but you might have just put me off it. As I recall, on my first boating holidays on the Norfolk Broads the bogs used to flush straight into the river but that changed many years ago, is the Great Ouse still in a time warp?