Waste Oil

Drayke

Featured Posts

Call at any garage and ask them can you have some of there wast oil odds are they will say no we sell it a wast oil collection firm then hit them with I have got some here you can have for nothing, because if you ask them can you put it in there wast oil tank they will probably say no we have to pay to have it taken away 

45 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Call at any garage and ask them can you have some of there wast oil odds are they will say no we sell it a wast oil collection firm then hit them with I have got some here you can have for nothing, because if you ask them can you put it in there wast oil tank they will probably say no we have to pay to have it taken away 

They do have to pay to take it away!! because the oil price has collapsed it has all changed, I sold my garage 2 years ago  at that point we had a waste oil burner so it wasnt an issue, Dave decided it was to much work so sold now he pays for gas and pays to get rid of the oil! you know the saying a fool and his money are easy parted

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you take an overnight visitors mooring (£10.50) in our marina you get to use all of the facilities (free electric, waste bins, oil disposal, laundry, showers) included in your 'fee'

That's not a bad visitors mooring rate considering electric is included as well!

We are at Kings Marina in Newark at present. Also £10.50 a night. They have a waste oil tank which I intend to make use of before we leave.

When moored at Rhea Bridge on the G & S a few years ago the bridge keeper said to leave waste oil by the bins for collection by CRT. The bin compound at Cambrian Wharf has a sign to the effect to leave cans of waste oil by the bins and not in them. Ocker Hill yard has a waste oil tank and is, or was, a waste oil tank by Limehouse Lock and a bin for old batteries.

As a rule, I by my oil from a boatyard after confirming I can leave the old oil there.

17 minutes ago, pearley said:

We are at Kings Marina in Newark at present. Also £10.50 a night. They have a waste oil tank which I intend to make use of before we leave.

What a coincidence - that's 'our' marina.

Unfortunately 'away' at the moment due to Son having 8 weeks of Radio Therapy in Birmingham.

Have a walk down A pontoon, right hand side near the end - GRP Cruiser with radar Arch & Solar panel, 'Sea-Wolf'.

Picture before we moved berth, fitted the solar & Radar. That's us.

2nd Picture at Cromwell Lock visitors moorings.

CAM00020.jpg

CAM00012.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 hours ago, mango said:

I don't know any marinas that will take waste oil, other than for those who pay for moorings.

Most council sites will take it, payed for by your Council Tax.

There used to be, and still could be, a waste oil point at Braunston Marina

Tim

11 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

The marina I was in had waste oil facilities which they received money for from a recycling company, so maybe fuel barges could supply this service and make a few bob from.

I tried that when I first set up Alton.  Despite the oil companies' blurb about "best prices paid", they wanted £30 a tonne and a minimum of 10 tonnes!

George ex Alton retired

4 hours ago, Giant said:

Our local council tip will take waste oil, but don't let you through the gate without proof of address in that borough.

That's becoming more common as councils try and cut costs. 

We recently saw a tug-style boat with a large barrel on its bow deck. It was advertising that it will take your waste oil for free. Will have to check with SWMBO where it was. Somewhere between Gas St basin and Fazeley around 1 month ago. 

Its hard and getting harder to find places.

A few boatyards have taken oil from me in the past, especially if I have spent a lot of money on diesel. This year one of those yards wanted to make a hefty charge.

Some Council tips are becoming "local residents only" or "no admission for pedestrians", but most are not near the cut anyway. Middlewich is the only tip I am aware of close to the cut.

Last time I checked, the recyclers will collect oil for free but only in Huge quantities, so the average boatyard/marina will be paying to have it taken away.

With the growth in residential CCing boats I think CaRT really should now collect oil from its bin compounds otherwise its just going to end up getting dumped.

I believe that a calculation of oil sold vs oil recycled suggests that a LOT of oil goes into a hole in peoples back gardens.

................Dave

17 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

If you have an older diesel car, before common rail? with a bosch fuel pump just mix it in the tank, free fuel!

Do not mix lubricating oils in with Diesel.

Lubricating oil whether used or new does not burn completely in a diesel engine , it leaves an abrasive ash which wears out the bores, and rings in a short time, this has nothing to do with the dirt in used oil, and filtering makes no difference, it is the nature of the oil and the additives in the oil itself. 

All the properly conducted tests so far that I've seen with using waste lubricating oil as fuel have cost more in engine rebuild cost than was saved in fuel costs.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Middlewich is the only tip I am aware of close to the cut.

The Milton Keynes tip is just a couple of minutes walk from Bridge 74 on the GU.  I took some used oil there earlier this week, by boat and on foot.

Weltonfield marina, just up the Leicester line from Norton Jn, has a waste oil tank and let me dump some there. I was getting a pump out and diesel at the time.

The Poynton council tip is a short walk downhill from the Macc and doesn't object to walk ins.

There is a council run recycling/tip about 50 yds along the road on the opposite side to the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury Junction on the W and B with the Droitwich.  They also do an excellent Sunday Lunch every day of the week (cheaper during the week).  Good excuse as any to stop by a pub (moorings outside or other side of bridge)

Cheers

David