Out and back to Birmingham from Stourport

Tawny75

Featured Posts

Becoming a proper boater now as moved on to conversations regarding toilets. You will be adding the pros and cons of pump out Vs cassette soon.

Off the top of my head I can't think of where there is a pump out facility before you reach Stourport.

Doesn't the hire company have pump out facilities?  

Every boat I have ever hired (except the first two, which had bucket and chuckit toilets) was returned with a full toilet tank and an almost empty diesel tank for the hire base to sort out before changeover.

17 hours ago, RLWP said:

You'll be becoming real boaters if you a/. choose a pub because it has free WIFI and b/. plug your 'phone charger into a mains socket in the pub while you eat

:P

Richard

Not sure about that one.  You'll be a real boater when you have so much data on your dongle that you don't care whether they have free wifi.

11 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Not sure about that one.  You'll be a real boater when you have so much data on your dongle that you don't care whether they have free wifi.

Liam and I must both be proper boaters now then. Not only have we both now been in the drink but we both have unlimited data packages on our mobiles. :D

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Liam and I must both be proper boaters now then. Not only have we both now been in the drink but we both have unlimited data packages on our mobiles. :D

I remember realizing I must be a proper boater when, after a long road trip, about half an hour later I got up to go and tighten the stern gland - on my van!!!! :blink:

37 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Doesn't the hire company have pump out facilities?  

Every boat I have ever hired (except the first two, which had bucket and chuckit toilets) was returned with a full toilet tank and an almost empty diesel tank for the hire base to sort out before changeover.

I am sure they do, however we dont give it back until tomorrow and it is a bit smelly now. It will get added to my list of 'next time we hire we will....'

That will come later on this thread. 

We have just met a couple at Kinver Lock who hired this very boat last year, they loved it so much they have bought their own and the hire company hires it out for them when they are not using it.  Has anyone heard of that before?

6 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

I am sure they do, however we dont give it back until tomorrow and it is a bit smelly now. It will get added to my list of 'next time we hire we will....'

That will come later on this thread. 

We have just met a couple at Kinver Lock who hired this very boat last year, they loved it so much they have bought their own and the hire company hires it out for them when they are not using it.  Has anyone heard of that before?

If the tank isn't full, but just smelly, buy a bottle of "blue" and pour a cupful into the toilet.  That should defer the smell for a day or three. 

1 hour ago, philjw said:

Or borrow a cupful from a friendly neighbour.  Better than sugar.

I recently borrowed a cupful of sterngland grease from a neighbouring boat. 

Richard

Historical heart is beating again. We have just gone under the Severn Valley Railway viaduct at Falling Sands and a steam train has gone over the top. The driver blew his whistle and the engineer and passengers waved!

I am rubbish at pictures!

20170615_171853.jpg

So here we are, back on dry land and missing the canals terribly.

Thank you one and all for all the advice you gave us, we really appreciated it.  We are seriously looking now at perhaps buying our own boat, so now the fun will start.  

I shall be reading everything I can on here, we already know roughly what we want, so it is just a case of finding it at the right price.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:24, Tawny75 said:

Historical heart is beating again. We have just gone under the Severn Valley Railway viaduct at Falling Sands and a steam train has gone over the top. The driver blew his whistle and the engineer and passengers waved!

I am rubbish at pictures!

20170615_171853.jpg

Pretty good - methinks - difficult to get a camera / whatever ready for an unexpected opportunity.

Maybe I'm potty - but we wave at all sorts of folk - including lorry drivers on motorways trains. Very pleasing when you get a toot in reply. It makes everyone feel better.

Minorities have to stick together....

Edited by OldGoat