Out and back to Birmingham from Stourport

Tawny75

Featured Posts

We would have done but sadly the rain was throwing it down while we were going through the locks yesterday. 

Loved the Delph ones today, we then got to Blowers Green  and some idiot had thrown a plank in which got itself caught behind the gate so we couldn't open it. So we had to fill the lock, fish the plank out, drain the lock and then go on our way. 

We thought the Netherton Tunnel was amazing and we are now moored just past Gas St Basin in The Mailbox.   

Tomorrow we are going to have an explore all round here before moving out tomorrow afternoon. 

We are so so loving this holiday!

Yes, that happens. And you have exactly the right attitude to cope with urban boating. Kids like putting things that float in canals. You could have sat around, called CRT and got cross. Instead you sorted it out and carried on

I'm not sure what your plans are, you could do an unusual BCN experience and go down to Hawne Basin for the night on the way back

Richard

12 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

We would have done but sadly the rain was throwing it down while we were going through the locks yesterday. 

Loved the Delph ones today, we then got to Blowers Green  and some idiot had thrown a plank in which got itself caught behind the gate so we couldn't open it. So we had to fill the lock, fish the plank out, drain the lock and then go on our way. 

We thought the Netherton Tunnel was amazing and we are now moored just past Gas St Basin in The Mailbox.   

Tomorrow we are going to have an explore all round here before moving out tomorrow afternoon. 

We are so so loving this holiday!

Oh dear, sounds like the beginning of an addiction.

Only two courses of action. Stop right now, or accept it,  in which case you will probably end up buying a boat after hiring and then possibly getting a share in a boat.

I'm a canalcoholic in my 44th year of addiction. :P

So today we had our plan all mapped out. We would have breakfast with our niece in Birmingham and then enjoy a nice cruise down to the Black Country Museum.

We got to the museum, we moored up on the facilities side. Had a lovely shower got changed and at about 2.30 went to go to the Museum. Sadly the gate was locked, we scrambled up the bank, went into the Dudley Canal Trust building to be told that the reason the gate is locked is because it stops people from that side of the canal getting to the Trusts boats.

We asked if it was possible to get into the museum and we were told that as it was now gone 3 it wasn't really worth it as when the museum is not busy the staff close the gate at the bottom any time from about 4 onwards. 

We gave up in the end and got back on the boat and we are now at the top of the Wolverhampton 21 all ready to head down them tomorrow morning. 

We have decided that as we have in effect gained a day, we are going to go as far as we can up the Shropshire Union canal tomorrow, moor up for the night and then come back down on Wednesday to continue our journey back to Stourport. We will be flying blind though as both my Pearson and my Collins guide do not cover this canal. 

It is true what was said earlier. Him indoors and I are truly addicted......

Edited by Tawny75
Spelling and autocorrect

Doing the 21 and then heading up the Shroppie you should be able to make Wheaton Aston comfortably, there is a winding hole once you have passed through Wheaton Aston lock. After this the next winding hole is through bridge 25 (another 3 miles) or Norbury Junction which is another 4.5 miles from bridge 25.

It will be interesting for you to do the Shroppie as a contrast - as a late-built canal it has long straights carved through the countryside on embankments and cuttings, instead of the older contour-following twists and bends. It is a very pleasant canal though, because it is so rural. 

According to Canalplan AC it will take 10 hours and 44 minutes to go from Wolverhampton Top Lock to Wheaton Aston winding hole and back to Autherley Junction.

Given the number of locks in the Wolverhampton flight, you should easily better that time,  as Canalplan tends to be a bit pessimistic on lock timings in flights.

Enjoy the Shroppie  (or at least the southern end of it).  We moored at Norbury Junction for a few years and it is an excellent place to explore the Shroppie and surrounding canals from.

We too are moored at Norbury for the night. We will head back down the beautiful Shroppie tomorrow. Then on to the Staffs and Worcs to head back to Stourport for Friday Morning. 

Our lessons have continued today. Being very early risers we were. Off by 6.30am and onto the Wolverhampton 21. We got through number one fine then promptly got grounded inside number 2. We had a bit of a think and let some water in through the paddles to float us then got grounded again in the bit in between 2 and 3. We opened the paddles again and then again at number 1 to let some more water down. 

Just after 8 we saw a CRT man who told us we had done the right thing and as a thank you went down and set all the locks to number 14. What a nice chap!!

All in all it was an adventure and we managed the whole lot in 3 hrs 45 minutes. 

9 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

We too are moored at Norbury for the night. We will head back down the beautiful Shroppie tomorrow. Then on to the Staffs and Worcs to head back to Stourport for Friday Morning. 

Our lessons have continued today. Being very early risers we were. Off by 6.30am and onto the Wolverhampton 21. We got through number one fine then promptly got grounded inside number 2. We had a bit of a think and let some water in through the paddles to float us then got grounded again in the bit in between 2 and 3. We opened the paddles again and then again at number 1 to let some more water down. 

Just after 8 we saw a CRT man who told us we had done the right thing and as a thank you went down and set all the locks to number 14. What a nice chap!!

All in all it was an adventure and we managed the whole lot in 3 hrs 45 minutes. 

That's a good bit of boating to get to Norbury and having to flush yourselves down the 21 as well. The CRT guys on the 21 are usually helpful, last time we came up we met him at the bottom lock about 7:30 and he opened nearly half the flight for us. I think they check the levels in the flight every morning so you probably saved them a bit of work.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Hmmm, OP said "leisurely", latest post says "Off by 6:30am". I suspect the account has been hijacked!

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Hmmm, OP said "leisurely", latest post says "Off by 6:30am". I suspect the account has been hijacked!

It is leisurely for us...honest. We rise early as it is the best part of the day. 

I am not sure why it quoted twice above. Blame bad reception on the canal. 

I can't get over how absolutely beautiful the canals are. The Shroppie looks like something from a fairytale this morning with the sun dappling on the water and the trees down both sides.

The Birmingham and Dudley canals were very different but with an urban beauty of their own, we did chuckle as we went further down the Wolverhampton 21 the graffiti got more and more grammatically correct and more pictures were appearing rather than the usual tags. 

We are looking forward to the beauty of the Staffs and Worcs again this afternoon. We still can't work out which is our favourite!

FB_IMG_1497375534661.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tawny75 said:

I am not sure why it quoted twice above. Blame bad reception on the canal. 

I can't get over how absolutely beautiful the canals are. The Shroppie looks like something from a fairytale this morning with the sun dappling on the water and the trees down both sides.

The Birmingham and Dudley canals were very different but with an urban beauty of their own, we did chuckle as we went further down the Wolverhampton 21 the graffiti got more and more grammatically correct and more pictures were appearing rather than the usual tags. 

We are looking forward to the beauty of the Staffs and Worcs again this afternoon. We still can't work out which is our favourite!

You've really understood what the canals of the midlands are all about. The views looking down Stourbridge locks and up Delph locks can rival any picture postcard view of rural canals. You don't need a favourite - all narrow canals are generically the best - with one possible exception!

You are in for a treat this afternoon through Bratch, Botterham and Greensforge and you may also encounter a small fleet of heritage working boats above Awbridge lock. If they are being authentic they will have blocked the channel.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2

I've loved reading this thread.  You've clearly been bewitched by our canals.  It's taken me back to my early days of boating and reminded me of how I fell in love with the canals too.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

26 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

You've really understood what the canals of the midlands are all about. The views looking down Stourbridge locks and up Delph locks can rival any picture postcard view of rural canals. You don't need a favourite - all narrow canals are generically the best - with one possible exception!

You are in for a treat this afternoon through Bratch, Botterham and Greensforge and you may also encounter a small fleet of heritage working boats above Awbridge lock. If they are being authentic they will have blocked the channel.

JP

Go on then, which one?

3 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I've loved reading this thread.  You've clearly been bewitched by our canals.  It's taken me back to my early days of boating and reminded me of how I fell in love with the canals too.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Go on then, which one?

I certainly have even bewitched. Everyone we have met has been so lovely. Last night we were in the pub at Norbury having a meal and other people were just talking to us and each other. Asking how far we had come and were we enjoying it. Some gave us tips on their favourite canals, some on how a boatshare works and another couple who are spending the first years of their retirement going round the country on their boat. Once a month or so they moor the boat. Catch the train home and pay some bills, see the family and then go back. It sounds idyllic!

We are currently going under bridge 9 on the Shroppie so we will soon be back on the Staffs and Worcs and the locks will start again.  

I am not sure if I prefer lots of locks as it makes it interesting or 14 miles and only one lock like we have had this morning. You just lose time as it is so relaxing just watching the heron keep landing and taking off in front of us and the gnats making their pretty patterns. 

We are both well and truly hooked!

Edited by Tawny75
  • Greenie 1

The spread of locks between Autherley Junction and Stourport gives a good mixture of locking and cruising although often I prefer a good flight rather than being spaced out with a mile or so in between.  As Captain Pegg said above the Bratch is an interesting flight of locks and you will have a mix of very rural and some new developments right on the canal side.

50 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

I certainly have even bewitched. Everyone we have met has been so lovely. Last night we were in the pub at Norbury having a meal and other people were just talking to us and each other. Asking how far we had come and were we enjoying it. Some gave us tips on their favourite canals, some on how a boatshare works and another couple who are spending the first years of their retirement going round the country on their boat. Once a month or so they moor the boat. Catch the train home and pay some bills, see the family and then go back. It sounds idyllic!

We are currently going under bridge 9 on the Shroppie so we will soon be back on the Staffs and Worcs and the locks will start again.  

I am not sure if I prefer lots of locks as it makes it interesting or 14 miles and only one lock like we have had this morning. You just lose time as it is so relaxing just watching the heron keep landing and taking off in front of us and the gnats making their pretty patterns. 

So when do you buy a boat :D

1 hour ago, Tawny75 said:

It was when we were doing our first two-week hire that some boaters we were sharing locks with told us about shared ownership.  if you want three or four weeks of boating a year, it's much cheaper than hiring.  That was the beginning of the decent into boat ownership...

8 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

It was when we were doing our first two-week hire that some boaters we were sharing locks with told us about shared ownership.  if you want three or four weeks of boating a year, it's much cheaper than hiring.  That was the beginning of the decent into boat ownership...

Very true.

Following many years of hiring we found out about shared ownership in 1990. Waited a couple of years to see if it was really "too good to be true" (it seems it but isn't) and bought our first share in a boat in 1992. We then had shares in boats for 22 years whilst I was working, and only bought a whole boat once I had retired.

Oh my word. My little historical heart is going boom boom boom. We are now following a working boat towing it's butty boat down the Staffs and Worcs. I am lending a helping hand at the locks and being all nonchalant while inside I am screaming 'It's a butty' at the top of my voice. 

We are seriously looking at a boat share. The only thing that stops us is that him indoors is restricted when he can take holiday ie none between October and 12th January and as a Company Finance Manager I can never take the first week of a month off. This may scupper us.

50 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Oh my word. My little historical heart is going boom boom boom. We are now following a working boat towing it's butty boat down the Staffs and Worcs. I am lending a helping hand at the locks and being all nonchalant while inside I am screaming 'It's a butty' at the top of my voice. 

We are seriously looking at a boat share. The only thing that stops us is that him indoors is restricted when he can take holiday ie none between October and 12th January and as a Company Finance Manager I can never take the first week of a month off. This may scupper us.

Not necessarily. Most of the ex-Ownerships boats have three of the twelve shares designated as "special shares", whereby the special shareholder gets first (well in the first three) choice of dates. It was originally intended for those with school age children, but anyone who is prepared to pay the 25% premium on running costs can purchase one.

My work used to seriously limit when I could take holidays, so after discussion and agreement with the other shareholders I used to take week commencing with the last Friday in March as my winter holiday and two weeks in August as my summer holiday. In 22 years I only managed to take 1 winter week at short notice unfortunately.

There are several past and current shareholders on this forum, so feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph.
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Not necessarily. Most of the ex-Ownerships boats have three of the twelve shares designated as "special shares", whereby the special shareholder gets first (well in the first three) choice of dates. It was originally intended for those with school age children, but anyone who is prepared to pay the 25% premium on running costs can purchase one.

It may be that the rules concerning special shares are different between syndicates (especially since OwnerShips is no longer around and many syndicates have struck out on their own), but when we had a share boat the specials got first pick of school holiday weeks, not just any weeks.

Anyhow, there are lots of different set ups and lots of ways of organising the booking calendar.  Not being able to do the autumn shouldn't mean you lose out.  Your off season week would just end up being in the spring instead.

• Greenie 1

Thank you all for your help with this. We will start looking soon I am sure. 

So on to today, we left Norbury this morning just before 7. We cruised happily all the way down to the shop at Wheaton Aston so we could stock up. On we went just marvelling at the beauty of it all. 

We got to Aldersley, hooked a right and carried on down the Staffs and Worcs.  We then started following the Jules Fuels boat along with its butty all the way down to 2 before Bratch where they turned the Butty and hauled it the rest of the way by hand as they would not be able to turn until after Bratch. 

We got to Bratch just as the Lock Keeper drove away so after careful reading we negotiated them. They have to be the stiffest paddles I have come across so far. As most of the locks we have come across on the Staffs and Worcs have little bridges so I don't have to climb on the top of the lock gates, Alan and I usually take them in turns, but the last two gates defeated me completely so he took over. 

We are now at the pub just beyond Bumble Hole lock and heading out for dinner. Tomorrow we are going to go as far as we can towards Stourport even mooring just outside if needs be, before we give our newest friend back on Friday Morning. 

Edited by Tawny75
I can't type!!!

3 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

The only thing that stops us is that him indoors is restricted when he can take holiday ie none between October and 12th January and as a Company Finance Manager I can never take the first week of a month off. This may scupper us.

That's why we didn't take a share in a boat. We couldn't guarantee that we could use the time slots available to us

And managing a boat by committee didn't appeal to us either

Richard

6 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

We are now at the pub just beyond Bumble Hole lock

Your second Bumble Hole of the week

You'll be becoming real boaters if you a/. choose a pub because it has free WIFI and b/. plug your 'phone charger into a mains socket in the pub while you eat

:P

Richard

• Greenie 1

We have noticed that pubs that have free WiFi do advertise it on the side of the canal. 

We are now looking for somewhere that will pump us out. We don't give the boat back until tomorrow and it is somewhat whiffy.....