Ruston Hornsby 2yd

jactomtroub

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, jactomtroub said:

My boat has a Ruston Hornsby 2YD built in 1959 in Lincoln. I am finding it difficult to find much information about the early 2YD. Although I know a bit about the history of my engine. Can anyone help please?

Do you mean historical information about the company and how the 2YD came to be designed and produced? 

Or technical information like what torque to tighten the head bolts, what lubricants to use and how often to service it?

Any info really I know that Ruston ended up in India but that's about it. We have an original service book for it  so have a good idea what it needs technically. Really interested in any info. Really like the engine it's a great lump of a thing. I am very much into old engines but my actual knowledge is rather lacking. I'm working on this though!

• 3 weeks later...

General info about R&H on the Internal Fire website under technical info the company histories.  They are apparently part of Siemens these days.

I believe the Indian operation was a licence build of some designs by  by Greaves.

Ray Hooley was the go to man for  information but the archive now seems tobe with Lincolnshire council/university.

Rustons are popular in the stationary engine fraternity so a look at the stationary engine sites and forums may be enlightening.

N

• 6 years later...
4 minutes ago, 1stArthur said:

Does anyone know if a 2YD is powerful enough for a 57’ narrowboat on the Thames ? 

I'd say it will be fine for normal use.

Not necessarily fine for cruising during red boards, but then there are red boards, and RED BOARDS.

1 hour ago, 1stArthur said:

Does anyone know if a 2YD is powerful enough for a 57’ narrowboat on the Thames ? 

35-38 hp @ 2000/2200 rpm depending on which variant you have. More than adequate as long as you have a reasonably appropriate prop size for the gearbox ratio.

https://realdiesels.co.uk/rustondata.html

Thank you The engine is in a boat that I’m interested in buying it’s advertised as a Ruston Hornsey 2YD which I think is an 38hp and at this point I don’t know what prop it has . 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I'd say it will be fine for normal use.

Not necessarily fine for cruising during red boards, but then there are red boards, and RED BOARDS.

Ok thank you, I don’t think I would be cruising when there are yellow boards let alone Red so with the right prop it should be ok.

If it helps. I had a nominal 36 bhp engine in a 54ft boat and I navigated the Thames on red boards without any trouble or excitement BUT it did have a well-matched Crowthers prop and I think that I can read the water and use the flow to my advantage. Of more importance is knowing when it is sensible to stay tied up.

Thank you The engine is in a boat that I’m interested in buying it’s advertised as a Ruston Hornsey 2YD which I think is an 38hp and at this point I don’t know what prop it has

The other question is the engine cooled by a skin tank and could you heat a Calorifier with it .

22 minutes ago, 1stArthur said:

Thank you The engine is in a boat that I’m interested in buying it’s advertised as a Ruston Hornsey 2YD which I think is an 38hp and at this point I don’t know what prop it has . 

But it almost certainly has a reasonably well matched prop. Maybe not the absolute best, but unlikely to be so bad that you can't easily navigate the Thames in green or yellow conditions.

27 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

but not necessarily more torque, which is what the prop wants.

That's a brave assertion.

The relationship between prop characteristics, engine characteristics and transmission reduction ratio is more complex than even the prop calc tools suggest, in my personal experience.

But I'm sure John.k knows that already!

Edited by MtB
Tinker with it