Driffield canal

leeco

Featured Posts

There is no easy answer to this! The whole canal (actually the canalised river Hull) is navigable but Wansford bridge is fixed about two feet above the water. 

If you are willing to take your narrow boat down the Humber you can probably get to Wansford bridge and also take in Beverly Beck. 

If you have a canoe or a dinghy you can get under Wansford bridge 

I've no idea whether there is a slipway upstream of the bridge for available boats.

There is a legal right of navigation to Corps Landing up a branch, but the banks are private and last time I was involved the land owner did not permit mooring. Historically the branch saw about 3 boats at Harvest and little else. 

Hi,

North Frodingham is the closest you can get to Bridlington. You can get full length narrowboats to Wansford, but a low bridge stops access any further. All the locks work however, and apart from a bridge over another lock there are no other major issues (though a bridge at Snakeholme does limit airdraft).

The only moorings are at Bethells Bridge, some for small craft at Brigham (though I'm not sure what is the setup there), and further down the river on the tideway in various places.

This video gives an idea of the area:

It's the 250th year anniversary celebration on the 1+2 July, and we are running boat trips from Driffield down the canal to Whinhill Lock as well as other attractions at River Head.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin
  • Greenie 1

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:39, leeco said:

If not from what I've been reading it says the frodingham beck is navigatable but can you take a narrow boat on it?

The Tuesday Night Club took Ernest and Frogmoore up to the fixed bridge on Frodingham Beck as well as to Bethells Bridge on the Driffield Canal and to Corps Landing  in 2002.

See http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_02/Tour02_5.html .

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

The Tuesday Night Club took Ernest and Frogmoore up to the fixed bridge on Frodingham Beck as well as to Bethells Bridge on the Driffield Canal and to Corps Landing  in 2002.

See http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_02/Tour02_5.html .

I'm at goole and was ready to go when the weather brightened up but I don't think this system is ready. If it had a few water points on it I probably would have gone.

Hopefully they sort it out in a few years time.

Note it's not really a journey to be taken lightly - you need to know the tides - as the River Hull dries out completely at low water, and have your boat properly prepared. Also the Humber takes some navigation especially on a falling tide, as if you run aground you are stuck until the next tide.

Mike

• Greenie 1