Lock keys needed

JacB

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are planning to travel from the River Nene to the Llangollen canal and back exploring the Grand Union, B'ham canal navigation, Shropshire Union, Trent & Mersey, Coventry and Oxford canals and wondered which  keys we would need for the locks and lift bridges  and water along this route.

Also, where is the best place to buy them - on-line, or at a lock or marina along the way

Many thanks

Edited by JacB

I'm assuming you have the EA Abloy key for the Nene. A standard windlass will be fine.

For the CRT waterways you'll need their standard Yale key, and also a anti-vandal key (often called a handcuff key) for some parts of the BCN. It's a T-shaped thing. And you'll need a 3/4" adaptor (I think) for the water taps.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Thanks. Is the abloy also known as 'half moon' key and what is it used for?

We have just bought a canal boat but only explored the Middle levels so far, so looking for any tips on the wider canal network.

7 minutes ago, JacB said:

Thanks. Is the abloy also known as 'half moon' key and what is it used for?

We have just bought a canal boat but only explored the Middle levels so far, so looking for any tips on the wider canal network.

It certainly that shape and is used to unlock the wheels/control boxes at the locks on the Nene as well as sanitation/water points at Peterborough (may be others) 

If still on the middle levels, you will need to advise Stanground lock keeper before accessing the Nene. 

Edited by rusty69

As to where to buy en route EA uses to sell their key by post (It's only a little alloy thing) and much the same for CaRT - that's a Yale key, but windlass' (lock keys) are heavy things - so you pay a lot for postage. The first two I have bought by post - but that was a long time ago.

Chandlers near to each system? BWML at Northampton? ABC boats at the top of Northampton flight?

Hopefully someone will be along shortly with something more sensible....

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

If on the ML then try the chandler at March first. Or a trip to Oundle Marina shop.

Where is the chandlers at March? (not sure you could describe fox's as such) 

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you are going to have to buy windlass please don't buy this type:

Short throw Windlass with Rotating Handle, Lock key, narrowboat, Canal
They are not user friendly to the paddle spindles.

The filled in type are preferable.

th1OMYYB1G.jpg

Unless you still need to go through Ashline lock, where yet another type will also be required :)

13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Where is the chandlers at March? (not sure you could describe fox's as such) 

I'm only going by what their website says. Only been in there for diesel myself. Oundle Chandler very well equipped.