Attempted theft

Moosey

Featured Posts

I have a cratch cover on the bow with a forward facing glass window with a self adhesive lead light effect on it, ie, the pane is diagonally criss crossed with lead to give the leadlight effect.

I have a private mooring behind a padlocked gate and the boat is left alone during the week.

Came onboard today and noticed the edge bit of lead has been prised away from the window. The would be thief must have been disturbed and left in a hurry.

Pissed me off. The stuff is worth less than pennies but now I have a choice.

Do I repair it, or strip it off to deter a second attempt?

I think Ill strip it before they break the glass trying again......

Cratch covers and bow doors with windows are quite inviting for thieves. Once they're under that cover they have plenty of time to break in.

Edit: I assume they were trying to break in rather than trying to steal your self adhesive lead light effect window decoration, which as you say isn't worth very much?

Edited by blackrose

It is high time the police, started catching these low life again rather than remain the crime data collection that they have became. For months we have had break-ins  along the river bank in March. The police don't even bother to come out when a break-in happens. Even getting a crime number is a uphill task. A old friend of mine had his boat broken-in to three times in five months, he given up and sold the boat which was moored at the bottom of his garden. We known who's doing it, For the mooring is covered by CCTV, in which the low-life face is clearly seen. Yet the police did nothing.    

33 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

It is high time the police, started catching these low life again rather than remain the crime data collection that they have became. For months we have had break-ins  along the river bank in March. The police don't even bother to come out when a break-in happens. Even getting a crime number is a uphill task. A old friend of mine had his boat broken-in to three times in five months, he given up and sold the boat which was moored at the bottom of his garden. We known who's doing it, For the mooring is covered by CCTV, in which the low-life face is clearly seen. Yet the police did nothing.    

As I said on another thread only yesterday, I was talking to a policeman and I joked about catching criminals and his reply was equally joking "Oh we don't do that anymore we deal with mental health" (or words to that effect).  Pushed further he reckoned 75% of police time was taken up dealing with mental health issues.  Another poster suggested it was more likely to be 80%.

Perhaps we need a government who will get a grip on the lack of mental health provision then the police can do what they are supposed to do - catch criminals.

36 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

So many criminals and so few police. Add this to the pathetic sentences handed out and it can only get worse.

Ian.

One of my nephews is a police officer and one of his favourite quotes: "Thanks to government meddling you now have a police service, not a police force." Sorry if this gets political but something to thank Cameron and his government for.

39 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

But we are told that crime is falling and we don't need many Police any more, surely the Government cannot be lying?:huh:  It ill-behoves us to complain since what we have now got is what we,as a nation, have voted for (and are probably about to vote for again). Having spent 30 years doing that job my view now, after the recent changes, is that only a complete moron would now join the Police, if you want a job as a scapegoat please apply:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

But we are told that crime is falling and we don't need many Police any more, surely the Government cannot be lying?:huh:  It ill-behoves us to complain since what we have now got is what we,as a nation, have voted for (and are probably about to vote for again). Having spent 30 years doing that job my view now, after the recent changes, is that only a complete moron would now join the Police, if you want a job as a scapegoat please apply:rolleyes:

I suspect the crime figures are falling, but not because crime is, more likely, the public are not reporting it as much, as they consider the police to be so incompetent, it's not worth the bother.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Phil. said:

I suspect the crime figures are falling, but not because crime is, more likely, the public are not reporting it as much, as they consider the police to be so incompetent, it's not worth the bother.

It's not from incompetence, it is from the fact that there aren't enough of them to deal with what comes in; the first thing you do is write off the no-hopers as soon as they come in, you have no real choice since if you don't you'll have another dozen jobs in tomorrow,and the next day, and the next day, none of which you are going to have time to investigate. If a job comes in with a name attached to it as an offender you do have a chance, but you really don't have time anymore to actually investigate. As I said, this is what the Great British public have voted for, this is what they have got.

ETA and your final comment illutrates perfectly my point, anyone stupid enough to want a job as a scapegoat should apply to join the Police now, I certainly wouldn't:angry:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

3 minutes ago, Phil. said:

Could you point me towards some evidence of police incompetence as opposed to there being taken away from the core job of catching criminals with other things e.g. mental health.

Or are you just making an assertion based on your interpretation of why police aren't performing as you want?

On 03/06/2017 at 22:54, Wanderer Vagabond said:

It's not from incompetence, it is from the fact that there aren't enough of them to deal with what comes in; the first thing you do is write off the no-hopers as soon as they come in, you have no real choice since if you don't you'll have another dozen jobs in tomorrow,and the next day, and the next day, none of which you are going to have time to investigate. If a job comes in with a name attached to it as an offender you do have a chance, but you really don't have time anymore to actually investigate. As I said, this is what the Great British public have voted for, this is what they have got.

ETA and your final comment illutrates perfectly my point, anyone stupid enough to want a job as a scapegoat should apply to join the Police now, I certainly wouldn't:angry:

Even back in the 70s as a yoof, it was widely noted that only our thickie peers applied to join the police. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

On 2017-6-3 at 22:55, Jerra said:

Could you point me towards some evidence of police incompetence as opposed to there being taken away from the core job of catching criminals with other things e.g. mental health.

Or are you just making an assertion based on your interpretation of why police aren't performing as you want?

Police misconduct cases in Cambridgeshire in 2016 (The tip of the iceberg)

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about/profStandards/docs/Disclosure Report Cambs Cambs 15 16 for disclosure.pdf 

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about/profStandards/docs/Cambridgeshire Misconduct Outcomes April to June 2016.pdf

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about/profStandards/docs/Cambs Misconduct Outcomes April to September 2016.pdf

Another case  of incompetence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34147277

The people expect high standards from the Police. You don't see police in March anymore. Only a week ago a shoplifter was caught red-handed walking out the Heron store in March with a large shopping bag full of goods (Value £134.79). The police were phoned and the manager was told to take her name and address and let her go. The name and address she gave was false. There has been more than three dozen break-ins along the river bank since the start of the year. Not once has the police come out. To many people failing to investigate is incompetence.  

Edited by nbfiresprite

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

Perhaps I should clarify my post. My accusation of incompetence is not levelled in general at individual officers, although there are quite a few who are, but at the organisation and the way it is managed which falls squarely on the shoulders of senior management teams, who for the most part are more concerned with their next promotion opportunity than they are with solving crimes or addressing serious failings within their organisation. As for the government cuts to police budgets, yes these too.

9 hours ago, Phil. said:

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

May I point out that Phill never said the Police were incompetent. He commented on what he sees as a public perception and to be honest from what we read here, reports in the media, and KNOW from conversations he is not far off the mark. There does seem to be a perception that for whatever reason that the police are not up to the job and anyone trying to defend the situation is doing society at large a great disservice.

The question is why do people feel like that and this is for the senior management and politicians to answer.

I bet the police would soon be on you if you took it upon yourself to uphold the law....when my company had a load of plant nicked by the local travelling community...proved by a witness seeing it drive into the local traveller site...the police told us just to claim in the insurance...we then suggested that as one of our directors was involved with the Hells Angels we would sort it ourselves using whatever means they took a very dim view.....

9 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Police misconduct cases in Cambridgeshire in 2016 (The tip of the iceberg)

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about/profStandards/docs/Disclosure Report Cambs Cambs 15 16 for disclosure.pdf 

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about/profStandards/docs/Cambridgeshire Misconduct Outcomes April to June 2016.pdf

https://www.cambs-police.co.uk/about/profStandards/docs/Cambs Misconduct Outcomes April to September 2016.pdf

Another case  of incompetence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-34147277

The people expect high standards from the Police. You don't see police in March anymore. Only a week ago a shoplifter was caught red-handed walking out the Heron store in March with a large shopping bag full of goods (Value £134.79). The police were phoned and the manager was told to take her name and address and let her go. The name and address she gave was false. There has been more than three dozen break-ins along the river bank since the start of the year. Not once has the police come out. To many people failing to investigate is incompetence.  

So you condemn a whole force sorry service on the misconduct of a few officers.   What percentage do you suppose they are compared to the whole police force.

It is often said on this forum not to judge all boaters by the actions of a few and yet you seem happy to judge all police on the actions of the few.  It is akin to saying all boaters pass moored boats at full throttle because one did.

2 hours ago, Phil. said:

Perhaps I should clarify my post. My accusation of incompetence is not levelled in general at individual officers, although there are quite a few who are, but at the organisation and the way it is managed which falls squarely on the shoulders of senior management teams, who for the most part are more concerned with their next promotion opportunity than they are with solving crimes or addressing serious failings within their organisation. As for the government cuts to police budgets, yes these too.

Can we be sure that the running is owing to incompetent management or the demands being put on the service by such things as mental health.  Given a choice between a mental health problem where an individual may harm themselves or somebody else and say the theft of a bike which is going to get the thinly spread resources?

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

May I point out that Phill never said the Police were incompetent. He commented on what he sees as a public perception and to be honest from what we read here, reports in the media, and KNOW from conversations he is not far off the mark. There does seem to be a perception that for whatever reason that the police are not up to the job and anyone trying to defend the situation is doing society at large a great disservice.

The question is why do people feel like that and this is for the senior management and politicians to answer.

See my comment to Phil on his reply.