MAIB report on CO deaths on Love for Lydia

Featured Posts

The MAIB has published its report on the carbon mon deaths on the Broads cruiser Love for Lydia. It makes grim reading, it was their first night on board their newly acquired boat. The surveyor had advised them to get a CO monitor, but they hadn't done so. Running the inboard petrol engine to charge the batteries meant that CO found its way from the wet exhaust under the pram canopy and swiftly forward into the forepeak living area.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/591058f840f0b67b04000002/MAIBInvReport9_2017.pdf

The message still isn't getting through to people.

We had to tell our new neighbours off over the bank holiday weekend as they were sat with their petrol engined boat, not that disimilar to Love For Lydia, running to charge their batteries. They also don't have an alarm.

We put our alarm into their boat and it went off within 30 seconds.

I still don't think they get just how dangerous this is :banghead:

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

Been said countless times on here, Alarms need to be compulsory!

I'm not so sure even that would help.

We know several people who have taken the batteries out because they keep going off when the engine is running :wacko:

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

We know several people who have taken the batteries out because they keep going off when the engine is running :wacko:

Try and get them to read that report. In there they point out these occasions when the alarm goes off are not false alarms, they are genuine warnings about CO

Richard

I am deeply impressed by the thoroughness of this MAIB investigation and report. (And all others I have had occasion to read.)

From this report I have learned about the "Station Wagon" effect (page 20). Something which had never occurred to me could happen. I suggest everyone at least looks at page 20, if nothing else. 

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Try and get them to read that report. In there they point out these occasions when the alarm goes off are not false alarms, they are genuine warnings about CO

Richard

I have posted it on our marinas Farcebook page.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You cant help everyone, but at least by making it compulsory it might save some lives...

16 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

You cant help everyone, but at least by making it compulsory it might save some lives...

But how many things are you going to make compulsory to save lives? Lifejackets when ever on deck ( biggest  cause is people returning to the boat in the evening) All locks to be opperated by keepers like Scotland. Illegal to drink on board. where do you stop.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But how many things are you going to make compulsory to save lives? Lifejackets when ever on deck ( biggest  cause is people returning to the boat in the evening) All locks to be opperated by keepers like Scotland. Illegal to drink on board. where do you stop.

If it's compulsory then boats like these will have to have them fitted, as many don't as "I don't have a solid fuel stove so why do I need one!"

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you have one?

The "Station wagon effect" reminds me that driving a hatchback car with the hatchback open (because the load is too big, for instance) can have the same problem, exhaust gets into the car. Always have the windows open in such circumstances.

MP

Thanks for this.

I was interested to learn that the BSS does not apply in Ireland (probably because the waterways are run by a single organisation covering Northern Ireland and the Republic).

The messages re canopies are also interesting. Even in foul weather, I think I will still prefer to be outside (with proper clothing on) rather than under a pram hood. There's a fairly clear action for all canopy makers and installers to take...

24 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The "Station wagon effect" reminds me that driving a hatchback car with the hatchback open (because the load is too big, for instance) can have the same problem, exhaust gets into the car. Always have the windows open in such circumstances.

MP

We have seen the station wagon effect on our own boat.

It was wet weather so we had the hoods on and zipped down (with the exception of the flap that goes over the transom gate. It was cold weather and we had just fired up the engine so we could see a bit of smoke and steam. As we dawdled past the CRT moorings in Lincoln this mix of smoke and steam started to enter the cockpit and cabin of the boat.

We ventilated it as quickly as possible.

We have had this happen a few times now, always in the same place and same situation.

Wilshire fire service were at Devizes Wharf yesterday giving out advice and free CO alarms to boaters. We were moored opposite and watched them get through several cases of alarms, I'd guess about 20 or 30. Well done them.

Steve

2 minutes ago, Just Heaven said:

Wilshire fire service were at Devizes Wharf yesterday giving out advice and free CO alarms to boaters. We were moored opposite and watched them get through several cases of alarms, I'd guess about 20 or 30. Well done them.

Steve

I agree to a point but would rather people bought their own and left the fire bobbies resources to spend on other stuff. We shouldnt need baby sitting as boaters we should look after our own safety when its something as simple as fitting an alarm.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree to a point but would rather people bought their own and left the fire bobbies resources to spend on other stuff. We shouldnt need baby sitting as boaters we should look after our own safety when its something as simple as fitting an alarm.

I agree.Any funds should be spent educating people to invest in their own alarms,not dishing out 'free' alarms. 

Edited by rusty69

Astonishing just how quickly the CO levels reached high levels - less than a minute after starting the engine. I know that CO is tasteless and doesn't smell but its mixed with smelly exhaust fumes so you would think that people would just naturally turn the engine off. Terribly sad. The station wagon effect is interesting, anybody who's ever driven a van with badly fitting rear doors or with a load of planks sticking out will be aware of fumes being sucked in but being on a boat facing into the wind is something I,ve never thought of.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I am deeply impressed by the thoroughness of this MAIB investigation and report. (And all others I have had occasion to read.)

From this report I have learned about the "Station Wagon" effect (page 20). Something which had never occurred to me could happen. I suggest everyone at least looks at page 20, if nothing else. 

I agree.

On my first canal holiday (I was 9 or 10 at the time) we hired what I know was a Dawncraft boat there was an outboard engine mounted in what was a "box" in the rest cabin. I think there should have been some sort of inboard engine there but it was a few :rolleyes: years ago! The whole back cabin (central cabin) was filled with exhaust fumes when the engine was running to the point of making one's eyes smart when you entered the cabin, usually to access the toilet. How we,or other hirers did not succumb to CO poisoning heaven only knows. 

45 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I agree.Any funds should be spent educating people to invest in their own alarms,not dishing out 'free' alarms. 

It gets worse, a client recently told me he had the fire service to check his home for its fire safety. He has been tipped off by a friend so he dug out an old deep fat fryer (not used in years). The Fireman threw up his hands in horror, disappeared to his van and gave him a brand new replacement fryer, which I am led to believe he gave to his grandson as a Christmas present.