Bristol harbour.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

When moored in the floating harbour and scouring takes place if moored to the side what precautions need to be taken if away from the boat? Also grey waste water isn't permitted to go overboard? I will ask the harbourmaster these questions but wondered if any here had advice? Thanks, Ian

AFAIK scouring only takes place (deliberately) at the 'underfall', it is planned and only occasional.

Last time I was based there ( a year ago) the city council encouraged no discharge of grey waste but it wasn't compulsory; it would be impossible to implement bearing in mind many of the boats in the harbour are too small to contain a grey water tank.

I think you are over-reacting to rumours and hearsay.

From the Bristol Council web site...

41/16 Scouring operations in Cumberland Basin

Scouring operations in the Cumberland Basin will take place at the following times.

Date commencing

• Wednesday 11 January 2017 from 11.30am
  • Thursday 26 January 2017 from 11.45am
  • Friday 10 February 2017 from 12.15pm
  • Friday 24 February 2017 from 11.15am
  • Friday 10 March 2017 from 11.00am
  • Friday 7 April 2017 from 11.45am
  • Monday 24 April 2017 from 12noon
  • Monday 8 May 2017 from 12noon
  • Wednesday 24 May 2017 from 12.15pm
  • Wednesday 7 June 2017 from 12.15pm
  • Thursday 22 June 2017 from 12noon

During these operations please note:

1.    The water level in the floating harbour, Feeder Canal and River Avon upstream of Netham Lock may be reduced by as much as 0.5 metres during the period of approximately 5 hours from commencement of each scour.
2.    Strong currents will be experienced in narrow bridge ways and especially Prince Street Bridge, Totterdown Junction, in the Feeder Canal at Netham Lock.
3    Vessels proceeding upstream against the current must give way to vessels coming downstream at all bridge ways, Totterdown Junction and at Netham Lock.
4.    All vessels when approaching Prince Street Bridge, Redcliffe Bridge, Totterdown Junction or Netham Lock must sound one prolonged blast of their whistle from either direction.

Ideally stay on your boat during scouring, otherwise tie ropes so as to cope with the change in level, such as long springs. Have only experienced scouring once and it was seriously undramatic with a fall of much much less than 1/2 metre.  

Just keep quiet about grey water! The "official" line is resident boats must not discharge grey water, visitors must "be responsible" whatever that might mean. I take it to be no really long soapy showers and go easy with the washing machine.

.............Dave 

Just moored on floating pontoon so all good. Asked about scouring and was told no big deal even if not on a floating mooring. Ten centimetres drop usually apparently. Currently sat between a big gin palace and a lovely little sail boat. Absolutely love it here! Off to see if I can pay more than the £5.65 I paid in Bath for a pint of ale now. Ian.

4 hours ago, ianali said:

Just moored on floating pontoon so all good. Asked about scouring and was told no big deal even if not on a floating mooring. Ten centimetres drop usually apparently. Currently sat between a big gin palace and a lovely little sail boat. Absolutely love it here! Off to see if I can pay more than the £5.65 I paid in Bath for a pint of ale now. Ian.

You're drinking in the wrong pubs.

I reckon beer prices peak in Newbury cus its Berkshire which thinks its a suburb of London. Bath and Bristol are out of the way West country backwaters so with a bit of care the beer prices can be almost reasonable.

.............Dave

1 minute ago, Starcoaster said:

I am flummoxed that you cannot/are encouraged not to discharge grey water-what is the reasoning behind this, do you know? It must be a right faff to convert a boat to hold grey water.

There are a fair few static boats in Brissol and they are "plumbed in" rather than using holding tanks. Visitors just need to be "responsible" which means only having a shower at night time.:D

.............Dave

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

You're drinking in the wrong pubs.

I reckon beer prices peak in Newbury cus its Berkshire which thinks its a suburb of London. Bath and Bristol are out of the way West country backwaters so with a bit of care the beer prices can be almost reasonable.

.............Dave

There are a fair few static boats in Brissol and they are "plumbed in" rather than using holding tanks. Visitors just need to be "responsible" which means only having a shower at night time.:D

.............Dave

Paid £12.40 for a glass of wine and a pint of lager at barge pub in honey street ,nice balmy evening, people seemed to have one drink and go, as did I. Pub empty inside, a recipe for pub closing soon I think. Reasonable prices I would probably have stayed a couple of hours, sad.

1 hour ago, Starcoaster said:

Flaming hell. For £30 a night I'd expect them to be sending me a dedicated shoal of mermaids to empty the tanks for me...

To be fair it's not 30 a night , and we are loving it here..as for Beer it's not as expensive as I expected. Less than £8 for a pint and a G&T. Ps free electric as bollard had £3.80 left on meter...

Edited by ianali

24 minutes ago, ianali said:

To be fair it's not 30 a night , and we are loving it here..as for Beer it's not as expensive as I expected. Less than £8 for a pint and a G&T. Ps free electric as bollard had £3.80 left on meter...

When I was there the bollard had free electric on it and I couldn't find my lead, well plug actually. the lead had a 13 Amp plug on it not a 16A

1 hour ago, Starcoaster said:

I am flummoxed that you cannot/are encouraged not to discharge grey water-what is the reasoning behind this, do you know? It must be a right faff to convert a boat to hold grey water.

We hired a boat in France that had a grey water tank, mind you it also had sea toilets, that was on the Midi

2 hours ago, Timx said:

Paid £12.40 for a glass of wine and a pint of lager at barge pub in honey street ,nice balmy evening, people seemed to have one drink and go, as did I. Pub empty inside, a recipe for pub closing soon I think. Reasonable prices I would probably have stayed a couple of hours, sad.

Yes, there's a whole lot of very bad stuff going on at the Barge, it was a very unique pub. Tesco etc have got all the failing ones so now some very unpleasant businessmen have hit on the idea of buying up the good ones, running them into the ground, then turning them into houses. Barge is worth a LOT of money as a house. He is almost there with the Bedwyn pub and well on his way with the Barge, locals putting up a good fight but the odds are not in their favour.

............Dave

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We hired a boat in France that had a grey water tank, mind you it also had sea toilets, that was on the Midi

I can imagine, I think this is the general deal in France. My parents own an old mill house there on its own loop of the river and they are not even allowed to discharge their grey water into it... It goes into a tank to be pumped out just like the septic tank for the bog, because they are not on mains sewerage. This seems mad to me. I guess the rules are very different there!

1 hour ago, NB Lola said:

The best bar in Bristol is the Volunteer behind the Future Inn Hotel just off Cabot Circus.  Don't go to the other pub, the royal naval.

We use the Phoenix from work also behind the Future Inn but not as far as the Volunteer.

My old office in Bristol was in the building located betwee the old (Brunel) lock and the new lock and we had a pub either side of us, opposite was the Pumphouse, and behind us was the Nova Scotia. The Pumphouse is where you took official guests for lunch, and the Scotia was where you took your mates for a pie and a pint.

pumphouse-pub-at-the-floating-harbour-br  Nova.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

I used to work for the Council - it was my colleague who got the HM to adopt the "no grey water" into the harbour. True, it is the "law" but as you say, very hard to implement! Drop in the ocean (lit.) I think and as a visitor, I would ignore it. There are a large number of residents and it makes sense for these to have grey tanks.

Many, many decent pubs - Lime Kiln & Three Tuns just a short walk from the VM's.

Seven Stars - famous little pub, hard to find but worth it!

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 08:48, David Schweizer said:

My old office in Bristol was in the building located betwee the old (Brunel) lock and the new lock and we had a pub either side of us, opposite was the Pumphouse, and behind us was the Nova Scotia. The Pumphouse is where you took official guests for lunch, and the Scotia was where you took your mates for a pie and a pint.

I've spent many a happy hour in the "Noval Scotial"

:)

On 6/3/2017 at 08:48, David Schweizer said:

Do they still run a folk club at the Nova Scotia? Met my wife there in 1975!!

Edited by Graham Davis