Not got a boat, yet, and family are aghast

LadyG

Featured Posts

So............., as I get nearer to D Day [YES/NO], I sent off an email to nearest and dearest, I have had the expected reaction..................

" perhaps I would like a Park Home".

NO I would NOT

"Move to Hull [fgs] or Huddersfield" ... or some other rundown metropolis 

NO, I don't want to live in a crummy town.

I like to be in the country, and live in my own little cottage in the country, albeit that it is a mobile cottage. 

Vent over.

Dear liveaboards,   what do I do about GP services when I am CC ----, I was just going to stay healthy and use 101 for emergencies. then if things got bad, move in to a marina fairly near civilization, and pay Council Tax,  so they can give me assisted living.

7 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Oy, there's now't wrong with Hull, we're cultured now :-)

Yes, so I was informed, but unlike my brother who suggested it, I have actually walked down Hessle Road, and cycled over the Humber Bridge, and no City of Culture nomination is going to persuade me to move there, to a little 1901 terraced house, which I am told, is affordable!

Edited by LadyG

Huddersfield is a truly lovely town.  Lived there for a year and miss it.  Have you ever been there? Good moorings too and the canal over the Pennines is generally beautiful.

Hull has much to recommend it too.

Gosh yes, its not the Huddersfield per se, its town life, I live in a town and I don't like it. I don't know anyone who lives in Hull or Huddersfield, so it is pointless moving there.

I would certainly visit Huddersfield by canal,  and lots of other nice towns and cities: Bath, Bristol, Oxford, Pewsey [old flame lives there], Cambridge, Liverpool [maybe], lots and lots of places I havenever been to, and this is my opportunity.

There is only one town I would want to move to, and it is outrageously expensive, being in the SOUTH

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Only for the one year.

(Our boat is in Hull Marina - within walking distance of 2x Poundland, B&M, and 2x Aldi shops & Greggs - Great place)

I'm not in to B&M [you must be thinking about Lady Gardener], and I think 2 x Aldi's is a bit OTT, Greggs is OK, but I will be eating healthy, pie and chips and a pint of beer in the Hook and Tackle is more my scene.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Only for the one year.

(Our boat is in Hull Marina - within walking distance of 2x Poundland, B&M, and 2x Aldi shops & Greggs - Great place)

and don't forget Boyes on Whitefriargate :-)

11 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Oy, there's now't wrong with Hull, we're cultured now :-)

“You’re only here for the culture,
Here for the culture,
You’re only here for the culture”

This football chant "was first sung to bemused Crystal Palace fans last year in April", according to this article from 2016:

http://www.hull17.me/hull-afc-tigers/#.WTEiLSdwaEU

If so it's a bit odd, because the decision was announced on 20/11/13. And this match (25/4/15, Hull won 2-0) wasn't in Hull but down here in south London.

In fact Hull played at home to Palace on 23/11/13, so I expect that was the origin of the chant. (Palace won that one 1-0)

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

Boyes still exists?? I seem to remember it on Hessle Road in my young days.

Still on Hessle Road, but also in the old Woolworths building on Whitefriargate. Heck, there's even one in Beverley!!

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

"Move to Hull [fgs] or Huddersfield" ... or some other rundown metropolis 

NO, I don't want to live in a crummy town.

Oi!! I resemble that remark!

admittedly the local council do seem to be doing their level best to kill off the town centre, and it does seem to be more and more catering to the ever increasing University population.

that said, there are many lovely places around Town or a short drive away.

if you intend to visit via canal, you'll need to be good with locks, we have one or two :) 

9 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Oi!! I resemble that remark!

admittedly the local council do seem to be doing their level best to kill off the town centre, and it does seem to be more and more catering to the ever increasing University population.

that said, there are many lovely places around Town or a short drive away.

if you intend to visit via canal, you'll need to be good with locks, we have one or two :) 

Nah, its nothing against visiting them, but it has been  suggested I should abandon the purchase of a narrow boat in favour of buying a tiny, old victorian property, on the basis that they are cheap. This is not a good reason to move to any town, never mind one where I know no one.  I won't be driving anywhere, there will be no car. If I am going to move, I will move to one of these pleasant places.

Town Councils just rubber stamp planning applications these days, with no regard for planning a pleasant environment for people.

I think its time we voted for Prince Charles for prime minister.

Edited by LadyG

I managed to pass through Huddersfield, Halifax and Hull yesterday without stopping. I was happy with that. Somehow managed to come back out of Hull the same way I got there thus avoiding getting wet on the other side.

Did stop at Marsden and took a quick canal snap.

IMG_0281_zpswfhyqxgb.jpg

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Nah, its nothing against visiting them, but it has been  suggested I should abandon the purchase of a narrow boat in favour of buying a tiny, old victorian property, on the basis that they are cheap. This is not a good reason to move to any town, never mind one where I know no one.

We're currently on our second old Victorian property, they're cheap for a reason, anything job you do causes at least three other jobs and none of it is cheap to do. But at least they have life and character, not like a modern hastily thrown up shoebox.

People are always full of advice on how you should live your life, at the end of the day it's you that's living it, do what makes you happy but have a plan b

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I managed to pass through Huddersfield, Halifax and Hull yesterday without stopping. I was happy with that. Somehow managed to come back out of Hull the same way I got there thus avoiding getting wet on the other side.

Did stop at Marsden and took a quick canal snap.

IMG_0281_zpswfhyqxgb.jpg

The top lock of my favourite flight on the whole system!

4 minutes ago, Canal Cuttings said:

What was the notice on the scrappy pieces of paper on the balance bars?

It instructed that lock 41E below must be filled before drawing the bottom paddles of lock 42E.

I can only assume you risk putting yourself on the bottom in the pound or catching the cill if you don't do so.

JP