Not got a boat, yet, and family are aghast

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Canal Cuttings said:

Isn't that a permanent situation?  Wonder why they could only provide a flapping bit of paper instead of a waterproof engraved plaque?

I have no idea. The pound is short and narrow and doesn't appear to hold much water so I guess it could also be about making sure it is low before a lock full of water from the particularly deep lock 42E is disgorged into it (and over the sides).

JP

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

It instructed that lock 41E below must be filled before drawing the bottom paddles of lock 42E.

I can only assume you risk putting yourself on the bottom in the pound or catching the cill if you don't do so.

JP

....and to a total muppet like me, what exactly does that mean?....if I am heading down the flight once 41E is full then is (drawing = opening?) ....do you only open the bottom paddles to aid ease of opening the gate?

....I have a lot to learn but the lingo is the biggest task....will be soloing in a 60' soon - will be selling tickets for my first lock and will also post to let everyone know where to avoid :D

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

....and to a total muppet like me, what exactly does that mean?....if I am heading down the flight once 41E is full then is (drawing = opening?) ....do you only open the bottom paddles to aid ease of opening the gate?

....I have a lot to learn but the lingo is the biggest task....will be soloing in a 60' soon - will be selling tickets for my first lock and will also post to let everyone know where to avoid :D

Drawing = opening. To let the water out of the lock.

8 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

- will be selling tickets for my first lock and will also post to let everyone know where to avoid :D

You don't need to sell tickets -  they will be there...

When we first got our boat we pootled up and down a lock-free stretch for some time before daring to do our first lock. We chose a gloomy off-season weekday and went in the direction of a reasonably isolated lock. Sure enough, there was a whole family of Australians there,  with a video camera, who had never seen a lock in operation before and were keen to record the event.:wacko:

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

We'd assumed it was one of those unwritten laws.

The amount the locking is going wrong corresponds to how many people will be watching?

40 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Drawing = opening. To let the water out of the lock.

That's what I thought but if 41e is already full ....where would the water from 42e go - 42 is higher right?

32 minutes ago, Lysander said:

When we first got our boat we pootled up and down a lock-free stretch for some time before daring to do our first lock. We chose a gloomy off-season weekday and went in the direction of a reasonably isolated lock. Sure enough, there was a whole family of Australians there,  with a video camera, who had never seen a lock in operation before and were keen to record the event.:wacko:

:D

I've been through on a crew of 2 on Wide Beam before but soloing will be fun....love the timing you had! :D

26 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

We'd assumed it was one of those unwritten laws.

The amount the locking is going wrong corresponds to how many people will be watching?

I'll point at something yonder and shut watch carefully......for 10mins til I'm through....boat or me alone :D

24 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

There is a direct correlation, the more wrong it goes so the amount of onlookers increases - Murphy's law! :huh:

Sounds about right :cheers:

Went through a French lock with ex Father-in-Law and knowing how helpful the lock lockeepers are here,....I threw the rope up and shouted Merci Beaucoup.......he looked at the ropes with disdain, muttered something and just carried on smoking his cigarette while shouting something at an unknown accomplice.

The unions stopped them helping as it isn't in their contract to take such risks. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

That's what I thought but if 41e is already full ....where would the water from 42e go - 42 is higher right?

It would go into the pound between the two locks. My assumption is that is where it needs to stay to ensure there is sufficient water to keep a boat afloat. I am guessing that filling lock 41E drains the pound above to a level that is potentially unnavigable so it requires a lock full of water from 42E to make sure a boat traversing between the two stays afloat. It is possible the restoration hasn't been able to reproduce the original configuration of the locks and intervening pound.

JP

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

It would go into the pound between the two locks. My assumption is that is where it needs to stay to ensure there is sufficient water to keep a boat afloat. I am guessing that filling lock 41E drains the pound above to a level that is potentially unnavigable so it requires a lock full of water from 42E to make sure a boat traversing between the two stays afloat. It is possible the restoration hasn't been able to reproduce the original configuration of the locks and intervening pound.

JP

I don't recall which locks we had particular trouble with some years back heading up the Huddersfield Narrow... but yes, there was a real danger of grounding in the pound and being unable to get over the cill into the next lock at a couple of places. :(

Before emptying a lock into any short pound it is standard practise to at least begin to fill the lock below, especially if it's a deep one. The reason is that if you empty your lock first, much of the water will overflow down the bywash, then when you do fill the lower lock the pound will go down a bit. This is particularly important on any flight of locks, more so the further down it you are, because letting water down the flight to correct the problem gets harder.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Peter X said:

Before emptying a lock into any short pound it is standard practise to at least begin to fill the lock below, especially if it's a deep one. The reason is that if you empty your lock first, much of the water will overflow down the bywash, then when you do fill the lower lock the pound will go down a bit. This is particularly important on any flight of locks, more so the further down it you are, because letting water down the flight to correct the problem gets harder.

Ah ok....am missing the 'pound' bit...have been up a flight of locks but the gates were all managed and I wasn't allowed to help.

need to read up on that bit - cheers folks....although not taking on any flights just yet.

Pete X - are you the one who enjoys helping boats around the network?.....when are you looking for jaunts? It might be prudent for me to have some help for my first main journey but not quite sure when that would be exactly - am looking to go from Great Hayward to either....Nottingham or to Saul .....prob in mid-July...ish

That's me, I'll be doing that part of the T&M this weekend in the opposite direction with Calranthe, from Sawley up just past Great Heywood.

I'm up for helping with your trip, so long as it doesn't clash with another I'm doing that starts on 24th July; I'll want a few days at home in between them, so would need to be off home by about the 21st July. Either Nottingham (the Trent) or Saul (the Severn) involves going down part of a large river towards the end of your trip, but I feel I have enough experience now on other rivers (mainly the Thames) that I can handle that if I do a bit of background reading about the local conditions.

On 2017-6-2 at 09:30, Boaty Jo said:

Don't apply for assisted living in Hull or Huddersfield

Well, I know litle of these matter, but unless one knows the system, and lies thru one's teeth, or is genuinely disabled, that applies everywhere.

Man next door aquired all his wife's symptoms, and a stick, and now they live in luxury flats ............... assisted living worked for them.

They stll manage two or three holidays abroad, wheeled all the way,.

I am not unsympathetic to age related problems, but inclined to buy a video camera to show him in his garden, the only place he manages without his stick, the only place he assumes he is not in the public eye.

Edited by LadyG

21 hours ago, Peter X said:

That's me, I'll be doing that part of the T&M this weekend in the opposite direction with Calranthe, from Sawley up just past Great Heywood.

I'm up for helping with your trip, so long as it doesn't clash with another I'm doing that starts on 24th July; I'll want a few days at home in between them, so would need to be off home by about the 21st July. Either Nottingham (the Trent) or Saul (the Severn) involves going down part of a large river towards the end of your trip, but I feel I have enough experience now on other rivers (mainly the Thames) that I can handle that if I do a bit of background reading about the local conditions.

:cheers:

Will let you know as just had the survey today after a lonnnng wait - can't rate Chris Makin highly enough...he put up with my twittering and questions all day and happy to help any time.

my biggest downer was no wine rack ....but he found the as well :)

Most important point is that he found an item which needs fixing that covered the cost of the survey....even if we only negotiate half each then !!!...well worth it.....his advice was worth 10 x that as well....as you all say learn your boat, prioritise then act.

Final negotiations and things to fix then .....watch out as the 'Wiltshire (Grumpy Triker) Warrior' will be set loose on the canals :blink:

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

:cheers:

Will let you know as just had the survey today after a lonnnng wait - can't rate Chris Makin highly enough...he put up with my twittering and questions all day and happy to help any time.

my biggest downer was no wine rack ....but he found the as well :)

Most important point is that he found an item which needs fixing that covered the cost of the survey....even if we only negotiate half each then !!!...well worth it.....his advice was worth 10 x that as well....as you all say learn your boat, prioritise then act.

Final negotiations and things to fix then .....watch out as the 'Wiltshire (Grumpy Triker) Warrior' will be set loose on the canals :blink:

How did you find a surveyor? What level of survey? Did it get blacked?

How did you make sure there is no debt on the boat?

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

How did you find a surveyor? What level of survey? Did it get blacked?

How did you make sure there is no debt on the boat?

I searched the internet but took recommendations from the boat yard and from on her....then checked their websites

Full Survey!...if I am paying to take the boat out of the water then why cut corners

Blacking was a known...need to have ...better without as hull measures are more more accurate - he took 4 measures every metre + more where required.

Brokerage / Sales Office guaranteed that...not a private 1-2-1 sale....plus have full boat history and have a KNOWN list of tasks to do before surveyor....ermmm and a few more after, although he cut my expected costs by 80% with his advice....much of which was previously advised by 'The Knowledge' on here.