Did this boat ever get sold?

Ray T

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

It is not information, it's a question.

Couched as a question, but containing a reference which shows that you know about these [plates (i.e. red = trade plates). It thus has elements of both. But I see that you're not giving anything else away! Fortunately another colleague has proffered information about their use:

51 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If it's on brokerage then the broker can use his trade plates to save the seller having to keep the boat licensed himself. That's just one example of their use. 

Thanks. I had really never heard of them; one learns new things every day.

44 minutes ago, billS said:

It's bow has combined the best features of the Hudson and the Stow Hill designs, and added a dash of Titanic.

.....cleverly sandwiched in a slamming lock gate to enhance the effect.....

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Couched as a question, but containing a reference which shows that you know about these [plates (i.e. red = trade plates). It thus has elements of both. But I see that you're not giving anything else away! Fortunately another colleague has proffered information about their use:

Thanks. I had really never heard of them; one learns new things every day.

Just a guess. There was likely to be a reason for the different colour.

For what it is worth there are several even uglier boats on the Bath end of the K&A, including one that must have either been craned in, or had the surperstructure added where it is moored, as it woud not pass under either of the two bridges it is moored between. Fortunately (for the owner) it is on a permitted mooring, so has no legal need to move.

Edited by David Schweizer

Just now, Phil Ambrose said:

looks like it has a shed load of flexi solar panels on the roof.

Phil

If my memory serves me correct the vendor originally advertised the boat as being able to generate enough energy to feed the surplus into the National Grid.

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

If my memory serves me correct the vendor originally advertised the boat as being able to generate enough energy to feed the surplus into the National Grid.

wish my pv array would do that.

Phil 

2 hours ago, davem399 said:

I doubt that it would turn up on a "Stolen Boat" thread on the forum. But if it did, the attempts to disguise it by the thieves would be interesting to see!

Is that because no one would pinch it, or because the owner wouldn't report the theft?

13 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Surely an enthusiast of both fenders and playschool will snap it up?

It needs a round window though!

Mind you, one can hardly accuse the boat of being a generic clonecraft

8 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Solar panels on a house can do that, so I can't see why not in theory. It'd need a shoreline with whatever the appropriate equipment is at each end, but my guess is that somewhere on the forum is an electrician who knows how and has perhaps already done it.

The other requirement of course is that the panels generate more power than the boat uses, but it's safe to suppose the boat in question is doing so if it has working solar panels. Best use for that boat.

Realistically I suppose the boat will sit there unsold until the price comes way down to a realistic figure. Isn't this the one with the huge price supposedly justified by a top quality fit out so good that we're not allowed to see it? My guess is that in a few years' time the owner will either cut their losses or go broke, and it'll end up as a cheap static liveaboard somewhere, repainted and with that hideous bow covered up.

I thought at first that the wooden coverings over the windows were to protect anybody inside from the dismal views surrounding them.  Then I realised I don't know the area, so my opinion may well be unfair.

Now I think they're more likely there to guard anyone on board from witnessing people passing having to cope with the ugliness they were witnessing.

I used to know a boat that had exactly the same pinched bow shape but without the splashback. Everything else was completely different (stern shape, no well deck, various other things) so I am really confused because I cannot believe such a weird bow could crop up on two different boats without having come from the same plans or builder, but the rest of the boat being unrelated.

The owner of that one had no idea of the provenance or origins of it but described it as "icebreaker style" which made Mr. Fincher's eyebrows climb right up his forehead in short order... :D

1 hour ago, Starcoaster said:

I used to know a boat that had exactly the same pinched bow shape but without the splashback. Everything else was completely different (stern shape, no well deck, various other things) so I am really confused because I cannot believe such a weird bow could crop up on two different boats without having come from the same plans or builder, but the rest of the boat being unrelated.

The owner of that one had no idea of the provenance or origins of it but described it as "icebreaker style" which made Mr. Fincher's eyebrows climb right up his forehead in short order... :D

20160630_100926_zpsf7z8rbdz.jpg

BoatPilot.jpg

On 6/2/2017 at 11:37, magpie patrick said:

Is that because no one would pinch it, or because the owner wouldn't report the theft?

It needs a round window though!

Mind you, one can hardly accuse the boat of being a generic clonecraft

The round window is on the other side obviously!!