Leaving the Boat on the Witham

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I need to leave the boat somewhere between Lincoln and Bardney from next Tuesday for a few days. Any suggestions? Are there any moorings not restricted to 48 hours? 27ft narrowboat.

Cheers

Mac

If you can "make it" to Kirkstead bridge (Woodhall Spa) the C&RT mooring is controlled / administered by the Railway Pub and the Landlord allows you to stay as long as you wish (in excess of 14 days if so desired) as long as you make some use of the pub (bar & meals).

The White-Horse moorings used to be on the same conditions (when our friend owned the Pub) but I don't have any recent knowledge.

Thank you Alan.  I wasn't intending to go as far as Kirkstead Bridge because of public transport considerations (got to get to Newcastle by 1.30 pm for the only bus of the day to Jedburgh!), but I'll take another look at that.

10 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Thank you Alan.  I wasn't intending to go as far as Kirkstead Bridge because of public transport considerations (got to get to Newcastle by 1.30 pm for the only bus of the day to Jedburgh!), but I'll take another look at that.

Taxi from Woodhall Spa to Lincoln

There are 24 trains a day from Lincoln to Newcastle Upon Tyne Central Station (3 hours)

Using the bus is 9 hours + journey.

Say leave boat at 07:30 (I can give you the number for our local Taxi), arrive Lincoln Train Station 08:30.

Take 9:00 train to Newcastle, arrive at around 12:00

Take 13:30 Bus to Jedburgh

Edit to add :

Train 09:15 depart Lincoln, Arrives Newcastle 11:42 Cost £39 (single)

https://www.goeuro.co.uk/travel-search2/results/475070673/train

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Or you could get a temporary mooring at Burton Waters. I found them rather friendly, and well organised. Although there's a lot of plastic, there's also a decent group of narrowboats, nicely segregated.

There are some farm moorings nearer to Saxilby, no idea if they have any vacancies. There's a station there too, of course.

I left my 50' narrowboat at Burton Waters for about 10 days a few years ago...I found them most helpful too....although I made a few plastic owners nervous as I got onto the mooring. It's a nice marina....even the bin compound has a key fob operated lock! 

Thanks for the replies. I think you are underestimating my Scottish meanness! Burton Waters daily mooring fees are FIVE TIMES what I last paid to leave my boat in a marina (6 weeks ago).  And I last took a taxi 20 years ago in Paris.

Actually, the boater I travelled with from West Stockwith to Torksey today gave me a few pointers after correctly assessing my financial criteria, so I'll investigate his suggestions.

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you can "make it" to Kirkstead bridge (Woodhall Spa) the C&RT mooring is controlled / administered by the Railway Pub and the Landlord allows you to stay as long as you wish (in excess of 14 days if so desired) as long as you make some use of the pub (bar & meals).

The White-Horse moorings used to be on the same conditions (when our friend owned the Pub) but I don't have any recent knowledge.

The Railway was shut when we went past earlier this week. Someone in Woodhall told it was a permanent shut.

The White Horse has reopened but the moorings do state 48 hour only.

There are some moorings just outside Burton Waters for the Woodcocks pub. They are 48 hour between the signs but there is a stretch beyond the signs that narrowboats use on a 14 day basis.

Same at the Pyewipe. The CRT moorings are 48 hours but beyond the signs you can get in for 14 days.

There are a lot of unlet CRT moorings outside the university. A quick call to them might find one you can borrow for a while.

ETA: There are also 14 day moorings just above Stamp End Lock. Lots of boats get left there.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 2

On the basis of our recent trip this way, I'd say that the Stamp End moorings are:

(a) perfectly fine  - we spent a couple of nights there and they are pretty quiet and I would expect to be as safe as anywhere outside a marina (but note that we stayed over the BH weekend)

(b) pretty much the only place that would meet your criteria without paying, especially if you want to be able to access trains. These moorings are barely 10 mins from station

(c) Check your insurance. Ours limits us to 24 hours on an unsupervised mooring.

(d) we needed to be sure of a mooring in Lincoln for two nights as one of us had to go down to London for a meeting. Not being sure of the current demand (one previous visit 2012 which was a month later in the year) showed us that VM's are often full. (Actually, this was not true for this time for our first week but was over the BH) so we decided to book with Brayford Pool Trust. They were most helpful but they do only have limited space. We were charged £15 a night which included electricity but note that elsan is back up to the CaRT facility.

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

On the basis of our recent trip this way, I'd say that the Stamp End moorings are:

(a) perfectly fine  - we spent a couple of nights there and they are pretty quiet and I would expect to be as safe as anywhere outside a marina (but note that we stayed over the BH weekend)

(b) pretty much the only place that would meet your criteria without paying, especially if you want to be able to access trains. These moorings are barely 10 mins from station

(c) Check your insurance. Ours limits us to 24 hours on an unsupervised mooring.

(d) we needed to be sure of a mooring in Lincoln for two nights as one of us had to go down to London for a meeting. Not being sure of the current demand (one previous visit 2012 which was a month later in the year) showed us that VM's are often full. (Actually, this was not true for this time for our first week but was over the BH) so we decided to book with Brayford Pool Trust. They were most helpful but they do only have limited space. We were charged £15 a night which included electricity but note that elsan is back up to the CaRT facility.

I don't think Burton Waters charge much more then that (if any) for visitors moorings!

ETA: If you do decide to moor at Burton Waters or the Woodcocks moorings for that matter, there is cycle hire in the marina (two stations, one near the Woodcocks pub and one near the deli). You can hire the bikes by the hour and cycle down into Lincoln along the canal. There is a drop off station by Brayford Pool (outside the Royal William) which is a couple of minutes walk from the station.

Edited by Naughty Cal

I was assuming that Mac's previous post was correct. It is worth pointing out that the 100 bus service (approximately hourly) runs between Gainsborough and Lincoln. (I don't know how much it costs as we maximised our bus pass usage!) That service runs by the entrance to Burton Waters I believe.

Equally, the original request specified between Lincoln and Bardney. Given the later details,it might well be that BW fits the bill as well. That said, overall journey times would be easier from Stamp End.

Edited by Mike Todd

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I was assuming that Mac's previous post was correct. It is worth pointing out that the 100 bus service (approximately hourly) runs between Gainsborough and Lincoln. (I don't know how much it costs as we maximised our bus pass usage!) That service runs by the entrance to Burton Waters I believe.

Equally, the original request specified between Lincoln and Bardney. Given the later details,it might well be that BW fits the bill as well. That said, overall journey times would be easier from Stamp End.

Yes that bus comes into Burton Waters. The bus stop is on the roundabout by the shops.

It is a nice walk along the path as well with if course the Pyewipe for a spot of light refreshment along the way.

Thanks for the further replies, especially NC's info about the 'extracurricular' moorings outside Burton Waters and the Pyewipe, as I've now decided that it would be easier to fossick around the Fossditch for a few extra days, rather than press on. I'm on the VMs at Saxilby just now, which are 3 day, but there appears to be a (now) unofficial mooring back under the railway bridge which has 3 liveaboards on it, but I might just squeeze in.......

Also thanks for the news, although unwelcome, about the closure of the Kirkstead Bridge pub.

Another closure may be of interest: Tong's DIY in Saxilby (Gas, diesel) closed in March.

If you fancy leaving the boat in Saxilby it will be fine on the flood wall opposite the moorings.

We have left ours there when the flood gates at BW have been shut after heavy rainfall.

Added bonus the bus stop is just at the top of the ladder.

Other option in Saxilby is to have a word with the owners of the indian restaurant (formerly The Bridge Inn) and see if you can leave it on their moorings for a few days.

The green just through the bridge is a nice sunny spot. We try and get on there if we fancy a BBQ but it tends to be monopolised by the same few boats every time :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Saxilby pizza shop is one of the best - and they deliver to your boat.

The chippy is good as well. As is the Indian which you can moor the boat outside.

The pub situation is a bit grim though. Both the Anglers and the Pavillion are a bit questionable.

The Sun is due to reopen any time soon though after a lenghty refit and change of ownership, so hopefully it should be better,

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The pub situation is a bit grim though. Both the Anglers and the Pavillion are a bit questionable.

Questionable?  I'll look forward to that. Perhaps you're not asking the right questions!  The Anglers is in the Good Beer Guide, so it can't be all bad.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:01, Naughty Cal said:

Yes that bus comes into Burton Waters. The bus stop is on the roundabout by the shops.

It is a nice walk along the path as well with if course the Pyewipe for a spot of light refreshment along the way.

I'm afraid the 100 bus does not come into Burton Waters, but only a rather infrequent local bus (77?) which is unsuitable. The 100 bus goes whizzing past on the main road 50 yards away.  I know this because I'm on the Woodcock moorings at the moment, outside the signs as you suggested. A pity, as it would be an ideal place to leave the boat.

I went for a wander round the whole complex. Words by no means fail me, but I'm not going to put them down here.

Many thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

...  Burton Waters ... 

I went for a wander round the whole complex. Words by no means fail me, but I'm not going to put them down here.

Many thanks for your help.

I know what you mean. I spent  half an hour trying to find something to buy, but failed! Good secure moorings, though.

1 minute ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I spent  half an hour trying to find something to buy, but failed!

I did that in Axminster Tools this morning but my reason for failure was simply down to all the zeros on the price tags of everything I wanted ;)

53 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just passed you.

20170603_121346.jpg

The moorings outside The Pyewipe were empty.  Same again with 14 days beyond the signs.

Not a bad walk into town from there. 

I must have been in, as the front doors are open.  Sorry to have missed you.  Went for a walk down to the Pyewipe - pub very busy, but only one boat on the moorings. It's a bit of a trek from there to Lincoln station with a rucksack and a dog, though.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet