Survey Finally Arriving....Best Questions Please

Featured Posts

Hi all,

5 days from now I will have a verbal report on the boat of my dreams....probably soon to become nightmares as well ;)

I have been welcomed into walking through the full survey and to ask questions at any point, so......apart from, will it sink and will it blow up, what does that funny red button saying do not press at ANY time do etc.

....what are the best questions I can ask my surveyor with respect to understanding just how much this little baby is going to cost me in the future?

I have hundreds of questions but really need to get to the crux of things, and can't ask about what I don't know.....worryingly I may not actually understand his answers either but he is a nice guy and said he is happy to re-explain as often as required....up until hitting me with a cricket bat. :D

So near yet so far!

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

what are the best questions I can ask my surveyor with respect to understanding just how much this little baby is going to cost me in the future?

How thick is the hull? 

It will cost you a fortune either way. 

Surveyors tend to point out lots of obvious defects.(the not so obvious ones tend to go unnoticed) 

How much can I knock off the asking price?

Don't  be afraid to take notes if you get the chance. 

Good luck! 

Edited by rusty69

I would be inclined to ask what every switch is for, where are the isolators,  where is the full cut off, anything you see and don't understand question. See if there is an inspection hatch to look under the cabin bilge. 

Edited by Rob-M

na if it blows up first theres no boat to sink

to reply to the op i did the same with my surveyor and learnt stacks

questions will flow depending on what he finds. watch as he reads the hull thicknesses, you know what its supposed to be, and whether there has been any wastage, ask if he would have any concerns and whether anything needs tackling as a matter of priority and see what he thinks a fair price is

And... if you see any switch/knob/button/valve/indicator/widget that you don't know the purpose of, ask. 

Then write down the answer do you don't forget. 

Follow him around with a notepad or dictaphone kind of thing. 

Doctor, may I please use your dictaphone?

Certainly not. Use your finger like everyone else. 

57 minutes ago, 36national said:

if you press that little red button the boat sinks..............................................then blows up

I'm with F Drayke on this. If it's sunk, any flame is out so how can it explode? I suppose in theory it could have chemicals aboard which react with water, but I wouldn't call that an explosion? But if it explodes first, bits fly off in various directions then those which fall on the water and are denser (probably most of the boat)will sink.

Make sure he looks in the cabin bilge and also, is rigorous in checking for signs of a potentially chronic slow shower leak. I can recall two people who bought a well surveyed boat only to discover that loads of wood and wall surrounding the shower was knackered due to a slow leak that had likely been there for years. 

If the gas locker is a wet one (unlikely for most boats other than at the low end of the market) make sure he pays special attention to that, as the inner walls of the locker are in effect also your hull sides in terms of their need to be water tight.

52 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And... if you see any switch/knob/button/valve/indicator/widget that you don't know the purpose of, ask. 

The old ones are always the old ones, WotEver!

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Hi all,

5 days from now I will have a verbal report on the boat of my dreams....probably soon to become nightmares as well ;)

I have been welcomed into walking through the full survey and to ask questions at any point, so......apart from, will it sink and will it blow up, what does that funny red button saying do not press at ANY time do etc.

....what are the best questions I can ask my surveyor with respect to understanding just how much this little baby is going to cost me in the future?

I have hundreds of questions but really need to get to the crux of things, and can't ask about what I don't know.....worryingly I may not actually understand his answers either but he is a nice guy and said he is happy to re-explain as often as required....up until hitting me with a cricket bat. :DSo near yet so far!

The fact your presence is welcomed by your surveyor bodes well.

Providing you have done some sort of basic due diligence exercise, his bona fides are established and so forth you have little choice but to put yourself entirely in his hands.

Take the opportunity to pick his brains and take full advantage of his knowledge and experience, most importantly be interested.

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ask him to show you how to change a gas bottle, for starters. (Unless you already know.)

I think I know but maybe.....just maybe, think is not ideal in a Gas scenario....else see later responses :D

21 hours ago, rusty69 said:

How thick is the hull? 

Surveyors tend to point out lots of obvious defects.(the not so obvious ones tend to go unnoticed) 

Good luck! 

Cheers Rusty & Mike, never thought about asking him what he values it at....he will know what it is advertised at but will be interesting to see if he thinks I have negotiated down enough from asking price

20 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

Find out if there is anything that will fail the boat safety scheme, good luck.

Good point...am still a bit unsure about that as no ispdea where some taps etc. are 

20 hours ago, WotEver said:

Notepad is ready but recording it would be useful.....given my memory and handwriting :)

19 hours ago, Oldbugger said:

The old ones are always the old ones, WotEver!

Isn't there a red down button for jokes like that!?

19 hours ago, tomsk said:

The fact your presence is welcomed by your surveyor bodes well.

Providing you have done some sort of basic due diligence exercise, his bona fides are established and so forth you have little choice but to put yourself entirely in his hands.

Take the opportunity to pick his brains and take full advantage of his knowledge and experience, most importantly be interested.

Cheers Tom....he comes across as a very decent guy who is happy to help with any questions that he can reasonably help on

I think the big thing for me is around the heating, which I think will need replacing, and the fact it has only two marine leisure batteries.....I have read all the recommendations and think I need to make space for 4 of the next quality.....are the batteries (in a boat safe to store next to the engine as per a car?....no concerns about additional water etc. :)

....have a lot of space for batteries given big cruiser stern so just getting the charging right is a big thing for me....can't remember if it has an inverter but can't remember seeing one.

other big worry is....what if the heating pipe work has been compromised....how do you tell ....quickly! ;).....It has been less attended than normal in last year or so, and whilst run, serviced and winter protected....!?...I think it is this bit which is of biggest concern.

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

When we bought our boat I said to the surveyor "Would you walk away." Reply "No but I wouldn't pay the asking price."

He then gave us a few ideas to haggle the price down.

:cheers:

I don't think I have a walk away (but will if I have to) due to it's history but knowing my skills with certain elements, the early days are a biggie.

It will need a bit of a monster issue to change my mind (but not the price as all issues taken into account) but some things they can't possibly spot if pipework isn't visible. My weakness is trying to all the jobs at once so am forcing myself to prioritise, hull, engine, toilet, batteries, water/heating, ....then 1,674 other little tasks ...inc. a repaint :huh:

Wish I could store the trike onboard :(

21 hours ago, Peter X said:

I'm with F Drayke on this. If it's sunk, any flame is out so how can it explode? I suppose in theory it could have chemicals aboard which react with water, but I wouldn't call that an explosion? But if it explodes first, bits fly off in various directions then those which fall on the water and are denser (probably most of the boat)will sink.

when i rig a booby trap i like to do a good job and if youre gonna destroy something properly why only do it once when you can do it twice. When the little red button is pressed a sea cock opens sinking the boat. Subsequently a depth charge  detonates clearing the canal bed of obstructions to permit the passage of other boaters and creating an interesting waterspout for the gratification of any onlookers. Of course to obtain the most spectacular effects the button should be pressed when in a lock. Suggest Lemonroyd.

22 hours ago, Peter X said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronan_(ship)

23 hours ago, rusty69 said:

How thick is the hull? 

Good luck! 

Make sure he tries everything out, i.e. Star the engine and run for the whole survey, switch heating on etc

10 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

This was the funniest... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship).....I had the pleasure of living in Stockholm for a year and this was an amazing experience.....but very funny story, makes the Mary Rose look like a real unlucky moment....which it was of sorts.