Fridge thermostat

calon

Featured Posts

Hi folks, 

I've got an old lec 12v fridge circa 2005 ( model r25m is on a lable inside, the one with the little ice box) and I've noticed it seems to be constantly running ( noticed because my batteries were draining much more than usual overnight) the fridge is actually working fine other than this and if I turn the thermostat completely down it does turn the compressor off but at normal settings it never stops running anyone else had this problem ? I'm assuming the thermostat must be knackered unless anyone knows better? Are the thermostats out of 12v fridges the same as the ones in 240v  versions?

Thanks 

Edited by calon

1 minute ago, calon said:

Hi folks, 

I've got an old lec 12v fridge circa 2005 ( model r25m is on a lable inside, the one with the little ice box) and I've noticed it seems to be constantly running ( noticed because my batteries were draining much more than usual overnight) the fridge is actually working fine other than this and if I turn the thermostat completely down it does turn the compressor off but at normal settings it never stops running anyone else had this problem ? I'm assuming the thermostat must be knackered unless anyone knows better? Are the thermostats out of 12v fridges the same as the ones in 240v  versions?

Thanks 

I am no expert but with the weather as it is at the moment all fridges will be running longer as the ambient temperature on board is higher than the norm. At the moment at 8.45 pm it is still 24 degress next to my fridge with all doors and windows open and its dropped considerably in the last couple of hours.

Stick a fridge thermometer inside the fridge and check it in the morning.  If it is much colder than say 5C then the fridge is running more than it should which indicates a duff thermostat, if it isn't or even warmer than it should then you have a problem with the fridge, either the compressor is low on gas, or too much heat is getting into the fridge - hot boat, faulty door seal, poor cooling air flow up the condenser are examples.

^^^^ This. Before making any assumptions it's worth determining exactly what's going on. As Mrs Melly points out, it could be as simple as... nothing wrong at all. 

Good thinking I've put a thermometer in there and pulled the fridge out so it's got the best possible air flow around it. I checked the seals they seem ok although there is now a few spots of rust around the bottom were the seal meets the case which I surpose won't help.

We will see what the results are in the morning

Thanks guys

20 minutes ago, calon said:

Good thinking I've put a thermometer in there and pulled the fridge out so it's got the best possible air flow around it. I checked the seals they seem ok although there is now a few spots of rust around the bottom were the seal meets the case which I surpose won't help.

We will see what the results are in the morning

Thanks guys

Also worth cleaning any dust from the cooling fins and compressor (if it has one) whilst you have it pulled out. 

As a last ditch attempt (look into it first) i have heard turning it upside down can help. 

Edited by rusty69

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

As a last ditch attempt (look into it first) i have heard turning it upside down can help. 

That helps on the old ammonia based 3 way fridges from the 70's. If you do that to a compressor fridge it's likely to kill it. 

Well the fridge is running still and the thermometers reading -1  with the thermostat set to number 4 :-(

so do we think the thermostat is the most likely culprit? And if so where do you get a new one, are they any different in 12v fridges to the mains versions?  

Thanks for all the help so far guys 

I normally run our fridge on about 1.7 on the 1 - 7 scale.  This is enough to make ice and keep everything cool.  I turn it up if the engine is running.

I'm not convinced all fridges have a thermostat as such.  I think some controls just vary the time the fridge is running, particularly on older fridges.

I have heard of other people having problems with the thermostat on shoreline fridges. The contacts play up on them ...I know two of those people overcame the problem ...one by reversing the polarity of the thermostat, and one by using a relay ....don't really know the technical details I'm sorry, but there is a lot of info online about the danfoss compressor control circuit .....

Cheers 

Edited by Stormbringer

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

My new Waeco fridge was delivered upside down a year or do ago. I made the suppliers aware and they said it would be OK if I let it sit right way up for 24 hours.

All has been fine to date.

I had similar with a Beko fridge at work. Left it right way up for 48 hours before switching on. It never worked and they replaced it. 

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

My new Waeco fridge was delivered upside down a year or do ago. I made the suppliers aware and they said it would be OK if I let it sit right way up for 24 hours.

All has been fine to date.

Lube oil lives inside the compressor, so if shaken or inverted the oil runs out of the compressor, so if you turn it on it will run dry.  Leave for a few hours and the oil will trickle back to where it should be.

• Greenie 1

Hi hope this helps. I recently had same probs with shoreline fridge in the heat we have been having: turned fridge off at mains "12v" leave for about ten minutes it then seemed to sort its knickers out. Now we turn fridge off at thermostat knob at night about 9.30 and get frozen food for the next days dinner out and put it on a shelf, this keeps some low temp in the fridge over night fridge goes back on about 0700 when we get up, not had any problems. I thought I had a big expencive problem but hey ho simple..  Give it a try before looking too deep, good luck let us know.

Do you have a plastic tray beneath the ice box?

Does this tray have a flap at the back?

Is this flap tipped forward?

Ours gets a lot colder with this flap forward, laying inside the tray.  This allows the cold air to fall from the ice box, into the rest of the fridge. 

Bod