Solar - junction box and diodes

Featured Posts

Just thinking about how best to bring my solar cabling into the boat - I've seen it going into mushroom vents but I'm doubtful I'll be able to run it inside the roof space without taking half the ceiling down - it's a few metres. So I looked for waterproof junction boxes and found some for solar panels - with diodes already inside. That set me a thinking regarding blocking diodes and whether I need them!

So, before I order the cheapest little plastic box with a grommeted hole, perhaps I could ask what others have used and whether diodes are necessary!

ta

I ran my cables through the furthest rear mushroom vent . I had to take apart my ceiling to then pass the cable back thru into the engine room of a modern style trad . Pulling apart my ceiling was the most daunting part of the installation but in the end it was a doddle and saved me alot of hassle fitting waterproof glands etc . The panels were then fitted above the mushroom vent and its completely waterproof. From vent to engine room was about 5 ft so not much ceiling to dismantle though . Had the job involved taking down lots of ceiling i wouldn t have tried . 

cheers