Canal & River Trust introduces new licence for boat renting

Ray T

Featured Posts

31 May 2017

CANAL & RIVER TRUST INTRODUCES NEW LICENCE FOR BOAT RENTING

The Canal & River Trust is introducing a new letting licence to ensure the safety of the increasing number of people living on rented boats.

The charity is responding to the numbers of boats for rent in London and further afield as people try to find alternatives to rising housing costs.  A second market has sprung up with the advent of website letting sites which regularly feature listings of boats for rent, while anecdotal evidence from boaters shows that it’s becoming more common.

Matthew Symonds, boating strategy and engagement manager at Canal & River Trust, explains: “Living afloat can be a great lifestyle choice but too often there are frightening accidents, from carbon monoxide poisoning to fires and boats sinking.  Boat owners may not be aware that they have greater responsibilities to tenants than they would if they were using the boat themselves, and it’s vital that those renting boats are protected by more rigorous standards to ensure they are safe.”

From 12 June 2017 boat owners will be able to apply for a Static Letting Licence for static boats which will cover all types of boat rental, including long-term renting, Airbnb-style short breaks, and overnight stays.  The boat owner will need to have a permanent mooring and should talk to their local planning authority to see if planning permission is needed.  The price will be the same as for the current Self-Drive Holiday Hire licence.

The Static Letting Licence has more rigorous requirements to make sure that both the boat is safe and that potential renters are fully briefed before spending a night on board.  Boat owners will be required to have: proof of adequate insurance; a Non-Private Boat Safety Scheme Certificate; a detailed handover document including emergency procedures and contact numbers; a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate; and written permission from their mooring provider.

Alongside this the charity will be introducing a new process for dealing with boat owners who may be breaching the terms of their licence by renting out their boat.  If a boat is suspected of being rented out illicitly the Trust will contact the registered licence holder, as well as hand posting letters onto the boat itself to alert tenants.  The licence holder will be given 28 days to clarify the situation, cease trading if appropriate, or apply for a Static Letting Licence.  After this period their licence will be revoked if they continue to rent out their boat. 

Matthew continues: “Sadly we’ve heard reports of people running into trouble and this needs to stop.  Any boat being rented out needs a Letting Licence that ensures that all the proper requirements have been met and the tenants will be kept safe.  We want to spread the word amongst existing and potential landlords and will be getting in touch with those who we think are renting their boat unofficially, asking them to work with us to do it above board.”

Sarah Dhanda, Chief Officer of Membership & Services at British Marine, commented: “We support the Canal & River Trust’s decision to introduce this new Licence. This new approach provides reassurance for all customers, by raising safety standards in line with those that our members already abide by.”

You can find out more about renting boats on the Trust’s website:  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/a-boat-of-your-own/renting-a-boat-to-live-on-or-hiring-out-your-own-boat (details of Static Letting Licence will be available from Monday 12 June).

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk  

• Greenie 1

I've no doubt that Muddy Ditched Onions will be along shortly to tell us why CRT can't do this.

Seeing some of the boats being used for rent, it is amazing that more people havn't had problems or even lost their lives yet due to unscrupulous Boatlords operations.

How this is going to be enforced will be the biggest challenge for CRT, finding out who is living on it , and who is renting it out, especially as most people are at work during CRT working hours along with the fact that most of these boats move (minimal distance) every two weeks. There is also the challenge of the 1% owner contract(quite common) - thereby saying they are not renting, but paying for a share with the Boatlord owning 99% of the boat.

• Greenie 1

I fully agree with this, but I suspect a number of people that have been letting out their boat will be most unhappy as even if they are prepared to pay for the extra insurance, CRT licence, gas safety check etc I can see that the biggest restriction will be "To rent out your boat you'll also need to get a home mooring with planning consent for residential use. " and we all know how easy these are to get...........

47 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I fully agree with this, but I suspect a number of people that have been letting out their boat will be most unhappy as even if they are prepared to pay for the extra insurance, CRT licence, gas safety check etc I can see that the biggest restriction will be "To rent out your boat you'll also need to get a home mooring with planning consent for residential use. " and we all know how easy these are to get..........

Where does it say that then?

The nearest I can find is this sentence:

"The boat owner will need to have a permanent mooring and should talk to their local planning authority to see if planning permission is needed."

Not the same thing at all!

54 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where does it say that then?

The nearest I can find is this sentence:

"The boat owner will need to have a permanent mooring and should talk to their local planning authority to see if planning permission is needed."

Not the same thing at all!

I took it from the CRT page called "Renting a boat to live on, or hiring out your own boat" the whole paragraph says  "To rent out your boat you'll also need to get a home mooring with planning consent for residential use. These moorings are in very short supply, so it's best to wait until you've secured an appropriate mooring before you apply for a residential letting licence."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/getting-afloat/renting-a-boat-to-live-on

Just now, Chewbacka said:

I took it from the CRT page called "Renting a boat to live on, or hiring out your own boat" the whole paragraph says  "To rent out your boat you'll also need to get a home mooring with planning consent for residential use. These moorings are in very short supply, so it's best to wait until you've secured an appropriate mooring before you apply for a residential letting licence."

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/getting-afloat/renting-a-boat-to-live-on

Oh I see. I was only scanning through the press release, which therefore appears to be pretty loose with its terminology.

As you say, that will pretty well kill off all chance of getting a letting licence. Possibly this is the intention. A method of getting shot of all the rented boats despite their waffle about responding to the needs for alternative housing. More like a strategy for preventing boats being used for alternative housing. 

2 hours ago, Thorfast said:

This sounds like a sensible move and may not be so difficult to regulate.....you just have to follow the ads that these people use to find the boats and check their licence status

It would be easy enough to put online. There are millions of cars in the uk way more than boats and each one is instantly checkable online to see wether it is currently taxed and has a valid mot and indeed its mot history. Of course that would mean more stringent enforcement of registration details display. What say you muddy ditch Rich? ;)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

It would be easy enough to put online. There are millions of cars in the uk way more than boats and each one is instantly checkable online to see wether it is currently taxed and has a valid mot and indeed its mot history. Of course that would mean more stringent enforcement of registration details display. What say you muddy ditch Rich? ;)

Get his name right Tim,it is O'nigh on Burgee!:D

• Greenie 2

I doubt they will sell any of these licences as they refer to static boats on residential moorings as a way to address the problem of rented boats in London that currently continuously cruise. Where are these London based moorings? I suspect that the demand will continue and/or increase and this will just push the process further underground and further endanger the tenants that this is meant to protect.

i don't have the answer but unless you have a license that allows boats to operate without a home mooring I doubt you will be able to have much of an impact.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

I've no doubt that Muddy Ditched Onions will be along shortly to tell us why CRT can't do this.

Seeing some of the boats being used for rent, it is amazing that more people havn't had problems or even lost their lives yet due to unscrupulous Boatlords operations.

How this is going to be enforced will be the biggest challenge for CRT, finding out who is living on it , and who is renting it out, especially as most people are at work during CRT working hours along with the fact that most of these boats move (minimal distance) every two weeks. There is also the challenge of the 1% owner contract(quite common) - thereby saying they are not renting, but paying for a share with the Boatlord owning 99% of the boat.

You called ?

Is it a mandatory statutory licence or a voluntary civil contract ?

13 minutes ago, Muddy Ditch Rich said:

You called ?

Is it a mandatory statutory licence or a voluntary civil contract ?

Its probably the

British Waterways Act 1971 Part II

Section 5 : Restrictions on Pleasure Boats

Section 10 : Powers to Sub-Divide Classifications of Pleasure Boats

Just had a thought - CRT has just announced this new licence for renting boats, which in essence is a good move, however we are mid consultation on boat licensing, should this not be included?

3 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Just had a thought - CRT has just announced this new licence for renting boats, which in essence is a good move, however we are mid consultation on boat licensing, should this not be included?

Yes that thought crossed my mind too. 

I thought it illustrated the 'consultation' was probably a sham.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes that thought crossed my mind too. 

I thought it illustrated the 'consultation' was probably a sham.

No probably about it I reckon.