Motor attachments to Butties

Heartland

Featured Posts

Laurence Hogg has noted in the past the Coggins boat that had a motor attachment. Later British Waterways had a motor that attached to a butty. This short craft was called Anne and it was photographed in 1959. Does anybody know the result of the trials.

44189.jpg

I saw that boat on a couple of occasions would have been 1960 on both occasions there was a couple of guys working on it with parts laying on the bank  I never saw it under way  went north after that so no info if a success or not

Im not sure it was a short craft HL, I think Im right in saying it was built by  E.C.Jones & Son, of Brentford as part of BWs replacement of ageing boats  LEE, ANNE, and BERYL the three boats were different in that they had lift out cabins; an attempt to reduce crew waiting time. With ANNE and LEE, diesel outboard engines were fitted, LEE having a Harbourmaster, and ANNE having a Petter PD2. ANNE and the butty BERYL were tested on the London to Birmingham run, but the journey took longer than using conventional narrowboats. In 1963, they were sold to Thames Conservancy. She has been converted to a 'normal' motor and was active selling coal and whatnot, she may still be.

Edited by AMModels

The boats were full length and curiously referred to a "River" class motors, they were entirely successful but far too late. The engines were bought in "Harbourmaster" powerdrives fitted with a Perkins from memory. Harbourmaster are still a going concern in the USA:

http://www.harbormastermarine.com/

Edited by Laurence Hogg
add link

LEE kept the Harbourmaster until as recently as 2009/10 I think it was, when the owner, despairing of getting parts for it, had it removed and a conventional stern and modern engine installed. Which was a shame as it was I believe the last surviving one.