Crick 2017 What boats and builders won the awards and your opinions

Northernboater

Featured Posts

I was there Monday but left before it was announced and can't find the results posted anywhere. 

Nice to see a widebeam with a curvy bum for once (think it was the Canterbury range) although it was a doubtful colour. New Taylorbroom was unexciting. Dovedale was a nice cruiser stern. The electric boats weren't to my personal taste, but each to their own. 

Actually, I liked a second hand one that ABNB had on brokerage but don't have enough pennies sadly!!!

18 minutes ago, Imka said:

Actually, I liked a second hand one that ABNB had on brokerage but don't have enough pennies sadly!!!

From a well-known and almost universally respected builder in the Glascote area, by any chance?

We went on Sunday. I have no idea who won what. We went on board the Taylor-Broome and found it well appointed and likeable, and there was the added bonus of CWF's own Chris B. showing people round it! Our favourite was the Harvey's Of Measham (now actually of Mancetter) craft, which with imaginative layout, cavernous storage space and lovely woodwork was head and shoulders above any other which we viewed. Amazingly it was six years old, and was there because Harvey's owner (Mr. Harvey, one assumes) had lived aboard it but now wished to sell it.

Biggest disappointment: not a single boat with an engine room and a trad engine, unless one counts the Harvey's which had a rear-mounted JD3.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

From a well-known and almost universally respected builder in the Glascote area, by any chance?

Actually no :-) It was the one next door with a trad engine called Kestrel (see, there was one there, just not a new 'un)

Glascote was admittedly very nice but not for me.

Got chatting to Boating Leisure Services, they didn't exhibit but had pictures of an incredible looking wide beam that I think they might be showing next year. 

Speaking of which, wish I'd been around to watch the craning in and out of the widebeams. 

I noted Random Similar was up for sale, this boat has been at the harveys yard on the coventry for some time, then it was at trinity for sale for a few months..

Anyone see the scruffy GRP boat some company had for sale, think it was around £3.5k and was offered at £30 a week?

Did see it, definitely a project but fun for someone I would have thought.

Was the £30 a finance offer or what it would cost to keep in terms of licence, mooring, insurance and such like? 

56 minutes ago, Imka said:

Actually no :-) It was the one next door with a trad engine called Kestrel (see, there was one there, just not a new 'un)

Ah, indeed I missed that one - I had a glance at the Hudson but we were on our way to the adjacent Bottom Lock Chandlery tent to buy boring but useful bits so I couldn't tarry. I did see boats with engine rooms across the other side, but they dated from the 1930s!

29 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I noted Random Similar was up for sale, this boat has been at the harveys yard on the coventry for some time, then it was at trinity for sale for a few months..

Yes, that's the one to which I was referring earlier in the thread.

There were separate categories for wide and narrow this year. Don't know about the widebeams, but Bourne won the narrowboat category with Threpence Ha'penny and Braidbar came second with Mei Long. Braidbar have now taken seven seconds and one third in the ten years since Braidbar 100 won. One of these years...

Weather was generally good except for Monday afternoon and footfall was higher than last year, I reckon.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

There were separate categories for wide and narrow this year. Don't know about the widebeams, but Bourne won the narrowboat category with Threpence Ha'penny and Braidbar came second with Mei Long. Braidbar have now taken seven seconds and one third in the ten years since Braidbar 100 won. One of these years...

Weather was generally good except for Monday afternoon and footfall was higher than last year, I reckon.

Don't worry about it Bruce, as Steve Hudson used to say ' I know which boats are the best ' he didn't need a gimmicky vote to tell him, and he was right.

4 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

On the widebeams, Elton Moss won with the Cat C Kingsley barge, and second was the 9ft wide Pioneer slimline widebeam by Narrowboats Ltd.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

it wasnt very spectacular, Tuckeys do it every week now and are pretty good at it.

That's why I wanted to see. I'm always amazed when someone can shift something that big with precision and the crane was a pretty impressive bit of kit.

4 hours ago, Phil. said:

Don't worry about it Bruce, as Steve Hudson used to say ' I know which boats are the best ' he didn't need a gimmicky vote to tell him, and he was right.

Well Norton Canes was only down the road. He didn't need to go all the way to Crick.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Phil. said:

Oh, sure and there were many admiring comments about Mei Long and the attitude of the Braidbar owners helping on the stand. Sometimes I feel that I should try and persuade Peter Mason, and now James Attwood who's working with him, not to try at all, but if you're there it's hard not to have a go.

2 hours ago, Imka said:

That's why I wanted to see. I'm always amazed when someone can shift something that big with precision and the crane was a pretty impressive bit of kit.

It is, especially when he gets out of the cab and starts to use his Sega GameGear to control it standing well away from it.

4 hours ago, vidamay said:

Hi Mike, missed you at Crick. We were helping with the moorings there. Hope to see you at Fairport Festival. (Tina , Purple Haze)

Sho' nuff! Sorry that we missed you.