Batteries £10 each

sherbert

Featured Posts

Nice surprise today after batteries failing whilst on a trip to Bugsworth and being replaced I took the old ones to the local scrappy and got £10 each for them Well worth doing and took a bit of the sting out of the price of the new ones:P

14 minutes ago, sherbert said:

Nice surprise today after batteries failing whilst on a trip to Bugsworth and being replaced I took the old ones to the local scrappy and got £10 each for them Well worth doing and took a bit of the sting out of the price of the new ones:P

You was done...

I got £15 each for my three scrappers a few months ago!

44 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Does that reverse sulphation then? :P

No, but it will greatly increase silication, providing a small increase in remuneration and possibly leading to enhanced inebriation.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, AllanC said:

No, but it will greatly increase silication, providing a small increase in remuneration and possibly leading to enhanced inebriation.

Ok I'll own up. I didn't top them up with sand. That would have been fraud! So no enhanced inebriation.

(I doubt I'd have squeezed in more an about a quid's worth of sand, and I'd have to have bought the sand!)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 20:46, sherbert said:

We got £10 for ours when the scrap man came to collect them. 

As you say ever little helps and makes the cost of replacements that bit cheaper.

On 5/30/2017 at 20:46, sherbert said:

Jeesus I cant give mine away. Been stood on the arse of the boat for a few days now and no one has taken em yet. At this rate I may even have to lift them off the boat myself unless that Bastions dream is around :D

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Jeesus I cant give mine away. Been stood on the arse of the boat for a few days now and no one has taken em yet. At this rate I may even have to lift them off the boat myself unless that Bastions dream is around :D

If they are still there this weekend ill grab them as i pass...

On another note, the moorings near the station, other side of the bridge from you, are they 14 day?

Thanks

Just now, Dave Payne said:

If they are still there this weekend ill grab them as i pass...

On another note, the moorings near the station, other side of the bridge from you, are they 14 day?

Thanks

They are 48 hours. The moorings all along the towpath for hundreds of yards just through and past the lift bridge are 14 days and more importantly nearer to the pub and further away from the trains.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are 48 hours. The moorings all along the towpath for hundreds of yards just through and past the lift bridge are 14 days and more importantly nearer to the pub and further away from the trains.

The electric lift bridge?

Just now, Dave Payne said:

The electric lift bridge?

Quote yes thats the one. Its only been electric for a few months so as CART have now built a weak spot into yet another lift bridge dont expect it to always work but so far its been ok.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Quote yes thats the one. Its only been electric for a few months so as CART have now built a weak spot into yet another lift bridge dont expect it to always work but so far its been ok.

Thanks, ill make sure i moor up on the other side of it then, just in case it fails!

On 26/06/2017 at 09:45, mrsmelly said:

Which bridge are we talking about here that's just been electricified? Have they finally electificated Mill Lift Bridge 205? Or is this a different one? 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which bridge are we talking about here that's just been electricified? Have they finally electificated Mill Lift Bridge 205? Or is this a different one? 

Thats the one Mike.

Ah that's good. A bloody awkward bridge to negotiate single handed. I never developed a proper reliable technique as every time I tried, someone always turned up and gave me a hand!

Or is it still awkward? 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah that's good. A bloody awkward bridge to negotiate single handed. I never developed a proper reliable technique as every time I tried, someone always turned up and gave me a hand!

Or is it still awkward? 

No its a doddle now from either side.

On 26/06/2017 at 10:59, Dave Payne said:

I have found a fair few bridges on the oxford are tricky when single handling, the main reason is not very long landings, or boats mooring on them.

You're kidding! They are a doddle compared to a decade or two ago! Most (if not all) have been re-balanced so they stay open now when you raise them. They used to be balanced to fall shut so they needed a prop to hold them open if you were single handed.

And Mill Bridge in particular was like this right up to the electirfication. AND you'd be stranded on the opposite side of the cut to the landing stage and your boat, once you finally managed to open it...

I was referring to landing the boat, one lock has an overwash thing where the lock landing needs to be, behind that is long term moorings so you are screwed, a fair few the lock landings are only long enough for one boat, so you end up hovering in the middle for ages if the lock is busy.