Glascote Top Lock Closed (again)

cuthound

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Just to confuse one of my (ex?) working boats, currently isn't (working, that is...).

Thank Gawd I didn't mention reports that at least one Hudson was in difficulty at the lock! :lol:

If the gate is not opening all the way, then would a hudson dare to go through, scratching paintwork and all that!

13 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

If the gate is not opening all the way, then would a hudson dare to go through, scratching paintwork and all that!

The gate would probably understand it was its duty to get out the way, if it were a Hudson passing through it!

(Is that Hudson, or "ex-Hudson", now there is no longer such a firm, I wonder?)

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

The gate would probably understand it was its duty to get out the way, if it were a Hudson passing through it!

Or the butler would have to sacrifice ones self and get between gate and boat....

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

There is a third genre...

"One of the Last Hudsons"

- currently there are around 35.

I was told a story that someone talked Steve Hudson into making a semi-trad; supposedly the only one he ever made. When it was finished and afloat he stood and looked at it then turned away muttering "An abomination!"

Dunno if it's true, but it's a sweet story ;)

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I was told a story that someone talked Steve Hudson into making a semi-trad; supposedly the only one he ever made. When it was finished and afloat he stood and looked at it then turned away muttering "An abomination!"

Dunno if it's true, but it's a sweet story ;)

No I don't think it's true. Martin (his manager/business partner) did latterly persuade him to advertise semi-trad availability but none were ever ordered. 

2 hours ago, b0atman said:

Fuel boats are what then ?

Boats which carry fuel? Oh wait a minute, our boat carries fuel as do nearly all others. So, "boats which sell fuel". 

Anyway, the point is that "working boat" might apply to a fuel boat, a hire boat, a cheese boat, a nick-knack-selling boat etc and is thus not a particularly good descriptor. But of course it doesn't apply to a historic boat used solely for leisure purposes, in which category 90%+ of historic boats reside.

So historic boat is an apt descriptor for what we presume Alan actually meant.

Or as I would say, knackered old lump of iron.

Ooops, did I say that out loud?

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, the point is that "working boat" might apply to a fuel boat, a hire boat, a cheese boat, a nick-knack-selling boat etc and is thus not a particularly good descriptor. But of course it doesn't apply to a historic boat used solely for leisure purposes, in which category 90%+ of historic boats reside.

So historic boat is an apt descriptor for what we presume Alan actually meant.

Or as I would say, knackered old lump of iron.

Ooops, did I say that out loud?

Are you bored Nick?

How about painting something and then watching it dry?

That might brighten up your evening.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Are you bored Nick?

How about painting something and then watching it dry?

That might brighten up your evening.

Not bored.

i have just painted something (how DID you know?).

Whilst the paint is drying I have plenty of time to come on here and give you something to react to. Which of course, is pretty much anything I post.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

A Nick-knack-Norman boat:)

Well in truth I think it should have been nick-nack. I was confused because in aviation there is also nic, nac (and sil) - just too many alternative ways of spelling the sound!

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well in truth I think it should have been nick-nack. I was confused because in aviation there is also nic, nac (and sil) - just too many alternative ways of spelling the sound!

Guess nick-nack sounds right as i bet GPS wasn't around back  then. Perhaps you should change you username:)

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

No.

Yes. The South Midlands boats are occasionally contracted to carry bulk cargoes from place to place. The converted one is used for commercial towing jobs. Granted, sometimes they go out on pleasure trips, but they're more working boats than my ex-working boat!

18 minutes ago, FadeToScarlet said:

Yes. The South Midlands boats are occasionally contracted to carry bulk cargoes from place to place. The converted one is used for commercial towing jobs. Granted, sometimes they go out on pleasure trips, but they're more working boats than my ex-working boat!

Very occasionally! So if someone is "working from home" on their laptop on their plastic cruiser, does that mean it's a "working boat"?

My point (again) is that the label "working boat" says nothing about the type of boat, only that is being used for some commercial purpose.

Or that it is working (as opposed to not working / broken down)!

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Very occasionally! So if someone is "working from home" on their laptop on their plastic cruiser, does that mean it's a "working boat"?

My point (again) is that the label "working boat" says nothing about the type of boat, only that is being used for some commercial purpose.

Or that it is working (as opposed to not working / broken down)!

No, because "working boat" is generally taken to be synonymous with "cargo carrying boat". It isn't the best term, but it is one in popular use.

I tend to use "historic" or "ex working boat" when talking about mine to avoid confusion.

What won't avoid confusion is that I heard the gate was lifted off its pintle by a work boat owned by contractors.

1 minute ago, FadeToScarlet said:

No, because "working boat" is generally taken to be synonymous with "cargo carrying boat". It isn't the best term, but it is one in popular use.

I tend to use "historic" or "ex working boat" when talking about mine to avoid confusion.

What won't avoid confusion is that I heard the gate was lifted off its pintle by a work boat owned by contractors.

Yes it is in popular use, but then so is "amp/hours" - that doesn't mean the terms are correct!