Forthcoming TV series

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

BBC2 will be screening a series called A Floating History of Britain in the autumn.

Today the team spent the day filming on Owl as part of one of the episodes dealing with the canals, especially the story of FMC.

Wendy Freer, the author of Women and Children on the Cut was interviewed by TV presenter Mary Ann Ochota.  

We were asked to provide some stew cooked on the stove and, at very short notice, some children(!) who could demonstrate just how cramped life in a back cabin could be.  Fortunately we were able to round up the grandchildren of a fellow moorer.

You may remember a previous series called The Making of a Nation, which was historically accurate and informative.  From what I observed today this series promises to be equally good.

592ca17106437_P1230020(1).JPG.fb2caf7f91c868f13d717910485c2b2b.JPG

Wendy Freer and TV presenter Mary Ann Ochota

IMG_1012.JPG.9983d8105761406b7dc327c108808a8f.JPG

Owl on the Tring Summit

35 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Iirc Mary Anne was a presenter of Time Team.

From the first photograph, I wonder if she also appeared in vampire films. She does look more human in the second picture.

Is the object on the slide an oil can, an anti-spill drink container, a vaping device or none of these things?

The programme sounds as if it will be worth watching.

36 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Will look forward to this programme. "As seen on tv" for sale sign :)

Owl must be the least photographed boat in its working days.  Some boats - Flamingo - springs to mind - seem to have spent a lot of time posing for photographs.

However, it has appeared in post working days in the remake of The Railway Children and Call the Midwife.

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is the object on the slide an oil can, an anti-spill drink container, a vaping device or none of these things?

The mystery object is a lead weight.  Those who are familiar with Kelvins will recognise a tendency for the gear to creep out of forward if the gear change wheel is not wound fully in.  The weight hooks on the gear change wheel and prevents the clutch from slipping.  

There was so much toing and froing during the filming that I took if off.

2 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Owl must be the least photographed boat in its working days.  Some boats - Flamingo - springs to mind - seem to have spent a lot of time posing for photographs.

However, it has appeared in post working days in the remake of The Railway Children and Call the Midwife.

The mystery object is a lead weight.  Those who are familiar with Kelvins will recognise a tendency for the gear to creep out of forward if the gear change wheel is not wound fully in.  The weight hooks on the gear change wheel and prevents the clutch from slipping.  

Im sure I saw Owl last night in a recently linked old BFI clip in this forum?

Edited by mark99

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Fulbourne happened to be passing through Cowroast while the filming was going on. So a 20 minuute delay to be filmed. We might get 20 seconds on the final cut.

The director was most chuffed, especially since the steerer was resplendent in period costume, complete with a traditional bonnet!

The appearance of a GUCCC boat fitted in with his narrative - "In the 1930s FMC faced serious competition from a new company."  Is this true?  Did it contribute to the eventual demise of FMC?

Edited by koukouvagia

18 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Thanks; I would never have guessed!

40 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Snip

I think that the lack of photos of Fulbourne's working days could well match yours :-(

Tim

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

Why would the wheel not be fully wound in? We have had this conversation before, the Kelvin here never works out of gear once it's fully engaged. Your experience seems to suggest a slight shaft  alignment problem or uneven wear in the clutches?

Anyway, I think we are doing some filming for the same production in a couple of weeks- see you on the telly!

11 minutes ago, billh said:

Why would the wheel not be fully wound in? We have had this conversation before, the Kelvin here never works out of gear once it's fully engaged. Your experience seems to suggest a slight shaft  alignment problem or uneven wear in the clutches?

Anyway, I think we are doing some filming for the same production in a couple of weeks- see you on the telly!

This symptom occurred about twenty years ago after I fitted a Centreflex coupling.  It's never really bothered me, so I regard it as yet another Kelvin quirk.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

No sorry t'was Lupin. Notable cos it moors near me.

In the well known 1950s film where A GUCCC pair go from Bull's Bridge to Birmingham, you will see, if look closely that on the list of available boats for the journey, Owl and Florence were top of the list.  However, against the steerer's name was the word "illness", so Pinner and Downham were chosen instead. snip_20170530123513.png.3e94379056e3b392e2d5ff548803ba21.png

Sorry KK, I think you have been 'ad - they were filming a Party Political Broadcast, showing living conditions if Labour, LibDems, or SNP win on the 8th..............I think it will appear sometime before then.............