Harecastle Tunnel

AngieB

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, we have to navigate through the Harecastle Tunnel in a couple of weeks & still can't work out if we'll get through with our roof boxes in situ! They can't be removed easily as they're pretty heavy. Our air draught is 2032mm with the bikes in one of them, but these could be removed! Help please! We're on our way to a wedding, currently on the Oxford! A.

You have posted your question in an area that cannot be replied to (FAQ) so do not think you are being ignored.

Maybe a Mod can move it ?

(Done - Dave_P)

The water level in the tunnel varies quite considerably - I have gone thru' being able to stand, and I have gone thru where I needed to be on my knees and 'peeping' over the top of the cabin and still hit my head.

The only definite way to ensure you will clear the roof is to approach the tunnel very slowly, if you hit the 'height marker chains' then back up and take the roof boxes off - if you clear the chains you are 'good to go'.

You may be advised you'll get thru' today, but in a couple of days you may rip-off your boxes.

It might be difficult to remove them but it will be better than either smashing them, or, getting stuck,

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have posted your question in an area that cannot be replied to (FAQ) so do not think you are being ignored.

Maybe a Mod can move it ?

The water level in the tunnel varies quite considerably - I have gone thru' being able to stand, and I have gone thru where I needed to be on my knees and 'peeping' over the top of the cabin and still hit my head.

The only definite way to ensure you will clear the roof is to approach the tunnel very slowly, if you hit the 'height marker chains' then back up and take the roof boxes off - if you clear the chains you are 'good to go'.

You may be advised you'll get thru' today, but in a couple of days you may rip-off your boxes.

It might be difficult to remove them but it will be better than either smashing them, or, getting stuck,

The chains have now been replaced with a height gauge which I feel is a bit on the cautious side

DSCF4552small.jpg

8 hours ago, AngieB said:

Hi everyone, we have to navigate through the Harecastle Tunnel in a couple of weeks & still can't work out if we'll get through with our roof boxes in situ! They can't be removed easily as they're pretty heavy. Our air draught is 2032mm with the bikes in one of them, but these could be removed! Help please! We're on our way to a wedding, currently on the Oxford! A.

Should be an absolute doddle with your roof boxes on, Bradshaw gives the air draught of 8 feet 10 inches (2691 millmetres) .I've been through a few time with my top boxes on and never gave it a thought:rolleyes:

Went through last year with roof boxes on, had to put the bikes inside the boat though. There are a couple of points where the roof of the tunnel drops down low but these are painted white and stand out well. I would recommend having a decent torch at the stern so that when the roof does dip you can make sure you are in the centre of the tunnel as it did look tight past the roof boxes.

it is a bit freaky if you are the last boat going in your direction to enter the tunnel as they close the doors right behind you and your eyes haven't yet adjusted to the darkness.

Edited by Bewildered

20 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Went through last year with roof boxes on, had to put the bikes inside the boat though. There are a couple of points where the roof of the tunnel drops down low but these are painted white and stand out well. I would recommend having a decent torch at the stern so that when the roof does dip you can make sure you are in the centre of the tunnel as it did look tight past the roof boxes.

it is a bit freaky if you are the last boat going in your direction to enter the tunnel as they close the doors right behind you and your eyes haven't yet adjusted to the darkness.

It's even more freaky when you are the lead boat and they turn the fans on causing the light at the end of the tunnel to go out:huh:

It's not just Harecastle you need to plan for.

There are a few bridges that due to subsidence can catch you out.

Plus there's a road bridge (I can't remember exactly where) after Stone, I think it's at the tail of a lock, I'm sure others will know it.

Came through yesterday. The official safety brief given to you before entering states "Some of the sections may go as low as 1.8m (5'9")..." and " As you enter the tunnel you will be checked with the marking gauge and if you hit the gauge you will be asked to remove the items..." I would say the clearance yesterday was about 2 metres at the lowest point which is just after halfway heading north.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Bradshaw gives the air draught of 8 feet 10 inches (2691 millmetres) .I've been through a few time with my top boxes on and never gave it a thought:rolleyes:

Wasn't that in 1904? Subsidence has taken its toll since then!

36 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

It's not just Harecastle you need to plan for.

There are a few bridges that due to subsidence can catch you out.

Plus there's a road bridge (I can't remember exactly where) after Stone, I think it's at the tail of a lock, I'm sure others will know it.

I thought that as well but can't remember exactly where it is! We work on the basis of if we can get under the culvert on the Droitwich we can get anywhere! Mind you that has been very close on occasions!

I came through Harecastle last month and managed to smash the back of my boat up. The lowest bit caught me by surprise, had the tiniest wobble and then crash...not helped by the fact my cockpit is in the middle and the back was the highest bit of my boat (not any more...) so I couldn't see what it was doing whilst I could see the cabin sides very close to the arches of the roof (I think I measured the cabin sides at about 5'6?). I didn't have to duck at all though, even though I've quite a high up position in the cockpit-unlike a couple of bridges on the Ashton canal-the middle was fine, it's the low edges and changing roof profile that made it tricky. Certainly had to really concentrate.

Personally I'd say if you have doubts take it off even if it's difficult to do so. Better to go through a bit more relaxed knowing you're alright than gripping the steering wheel/tiller in a death grip as you try not to bash your roof boxes up, or actually bashing your roof boxes up.

Edited by jennywren
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

There is a bridge between Stoke railway station and the top lock that is lower than the tunnel itself in my opinion. It has seen off many a boat chimney.

That's the one I was trying to describe in my post above.  It's a brute, I remember having to drop the sheets, stands and box mast to get a semi loaded boat under it.

I had forgotten the one just as you exit one of the Stoke double locks.

That's the one that destroyed our friends cratch.

Their boat does sit fairly high in the water and the cratch board  is raised about 4" above their roof line - the front got hooked onto the bridge girder and ripped it off completely.

Yes - it is lower than the Harecastle, as, after repairs they 'sailed thru' the tunnel without problems.

Just a reminder tho' - the water levels do vary on the T&M from one week to the next.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

In a tunnel, what exactly do they mean by "air draught"?  It is one thing giving it for a flat bridge, but in a tunnel with a curved profile, you need to know the width that the air draught figure refers to.

10 minutes ago, dor said:

In a tunnel, what exactly do they mean by "air draught"?  It is one thing giving it for a flat bridge, but in a tunnel with a curved profile, you need to know the width that the air draught figure refers to.

Did you notice that the barrier 'height o-meter' is curved ?

Fit under the curve and you will be OK.

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The chains have now been replaced with a height gauge which I feel is a bit on the cautious side

DSCF4552small.jpg

19 hours ago, Mal in Somerset said:

We work on the basis of if we can get under the culvert on the Droitwich we can get anywhere!

I certainly wouldn't use that logic if you are considering Froghall tunnel!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did you notice that the barrier 'height o-meter' is curved ?

Fit under the curve and you will be OK.

Yes of course.  But that is completely different to the various quotes of 'air draught'.

21 hours ago, Mal in Somerset said:

We work on the basis of if we can get under the culvert on the Droitwich we can get anywhere!

Again, it is not just the height that is important.  If you have a significant tumblehome, getting through Froghall is easier - provided you are a good steerer!

Edited by dor

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I agree, I've taken our boat through Droitwich but the Froghall gauge dragged along the roof by so much I didn't attempt it.

13 hours ago, dor said:

Again, it is not just the height that is important.  If you have a significant tumblehome, getting through Froghall is easier - provided you are a good steerer!

Yes, obviously tumblehome affects it, by memory is that you would need to have a cabin shaped throughout with unusually heavily sloping sides and very very narrow roof before Froghall would be easier than the M5 culvert on the Droiitwich.

Same boat in all pictures

Froghall

CIMG3803.JPG

M5 Culvert (River level "normal" at time of picture)

IMG_0329.JPG

Gosty Hill

CIMG8427.JPG