Staffs & Worcs and Stourbridge

John G

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

I'm planning a leisurely jaunt down the length of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal with a slight detour via the Stourbridge town arm. It will be my first time on these waterways, so I'm after some advice.

Between overnight stops in Stourbridge and Stourport we have time for one other overnight stop. Initially I'd planned to stop at Kinver and see the National Trust rock houses there, but the website says they'll be closed that day. I'll probably now save Kinver for another time, so am looking at another overnight stop. 

I've narrowed it down to 3 places that all seem to be near decent pubs: Caunsall, Cookley or Wolverley. I'd like advice on which of the three has the best pub, for food and ale, and which the best moorings.

At Stourbridge I have asked the Trust if there is any space in the basin for an overnight mooring, and they've said they will get back to me. If we can't get in there, what are the moorings like outside the basin? Safe to leave the boat for a few hours?

At Stourport how early are we realistically going to have to get there to get a decent mooring? I understand there are only two visitor moorings in the basin, so it would be pretty wishful thinking to expect one of those to be free at any time of day. Do the town visitor moorings tend to fill up fast? If we were to spend a few hours in Kidderminster and arrive in Stourport early evening how far out of Stourport would we likely have to moor? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, nebulae said:

When visiting Stourbridge,we usualy go to the end of the basin,wind and moor just outside the basin.We have not had a problem up to now. Never failed to find a mooring at Stourport.

What he said! It's about a 5-10 min walk into Stourbridge via the underpass, tesco and (at the far end of town) Aldi plus some decent pubs. 

Plenty of space at Stourport either by Lidl or on stretch before final lock. Very little in basins though. 

I'd suggest Wolverley for a good stop too. Moorings above and below lock, pub by lock. Five minute walk into v pretty village with some houses part carved into rock (and another decent pub). 

Edited by starman

Plenty of mooring on the stretch between Lidl and the last lock before the basin, York St. lock. Also by the Bird in Hand pub before you get that far. In the basin there is room for two boats just past the water point provided nobody has "middle moored" as often happens. Over by the Wharf bar there are two moorings and, failing that, lock on to the river and moor on the pontoons either by the locks or outside the Angel pub. As for a mooring on the way down, we like to moor on a wee quiet bit just through Whittington Horse bridge just after Kinver. Walk over the bridge, up the lane and turn left on the main road and you will come to an excellent old pub called The Manor, formerly Whittington Manor. Good food and a nice pub. Enjoy. If you like a curry try Namaste by the Chandlers, very good.

19 hours ago, colmac said:

Plenty of mooring on the stretch between Lidl and the last lock before the basin, York St. lock. Also by the Bird in Hand pub before you get that far. In the basin there is room for two boats just past the water point provided nobody has "middle moored" as often happens. Over by the Wharf bar there are two moorings and, failing that, lock on to the river and moor on the pontoons either by the locks or outside the Angel pub. As for a mooring on the way down, we like to moor on a wee quiet bit just through Whittington Horse bridge just after Kinver. Walk over the bridge, up the lane and turn left on the main road and you will come to an excellent old pub called The Manor, formerly Whittington Manor. Good food and a nice pub. Enjoy. If you like a curry try Namaste by the Chandlers, very good.

^^^
What he says, esp. Namaste curry house.

Thanks for all the advice, sounds like it should all be fine. They have a couple of vacant spots at the Stourbridge basin the night I'm aiming to be there, but none long enough for my boat so looks like I'll be outside the compound. I know Stourbridge as a town fairly well, but usually I'm on the train when I visit there: plenty of decent pubs there.