Weed on the Fossdyke and Witham

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

The amount of blanket weed (in fact a filamentous alga) on the Chesterfield has increased a lot since I arrived a couple of weeks ago, and in fact they were due to start removing it a few days ago.  The hot weather has encouraged it.  I'm hoping to be on the Fossditch and then the Witham soon - does anyone know of the weed situation there?

A supplementary question about the Witham Navigable Drains and Kyme Eau - is weed removal even done on these waterways?  I gave up very quickly on the latter in July a few years ago, but had hoped that things would be a bit more feasible in early June.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm hoping to be on the Fossditch and then the Witham soon - does anyone know of the weed situation there?

Not boated there this year, but from the 'towpath'  and bridges there is no evidence of weed on the Witham in the area around Woodhall Spa.

Always 2 or 3 (different) boats moored up there.

We have just spent the past ten days on both, now back at Saxilby. For the first part the weed was barely noticeable but it seemed as if it grew daily in the few hot days over the weekend. As yet it is not a significant problem but no doubt those, like NaughtyCal, who are local will be along to point out that we are coming up to the season when it can be really difficult. We made it onto a few of the Navigable Drains on one day and had no difficulty apart from one but that is notorious at any time it seems.

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

We have just spent the past ten days on both, now back at Saxilby. For the first part the weed was barely noticeable but it seemed as if it grew daily in the few hot days over the weekend. As yet it is not a significant problem but no doubt those, like NaughtyCal, who are local will be along to point out that we are coming up to the season when it can be really difficult. We made it onto a few of the Navigable Drains on one day and had no difficulty apart from one but that is notorious at any time it seems.

Thank you. Sounds like my experience on the Chesterfield.  Looks like it will depend on the weather in the next couple of weeks.

A bunch of us were on there a couple of years ago and the weed was fairly grim, same as Keadby sometimes. In the end CRT seemed to be pushing it out onto the trent, where it went up and down for a while [some of it wrapped around my prop!]

I know you probably need local eyes on, but we did the Witham Drains in August 2015 and it was fine. The only thing I picked up on the prop was a 12" length of barbed wire.

Kyme Eau was more difficult I think - we didn't do it.

A localised issue at Bardney, but nothing too serious. A couple of cruisers waiting to go through the lock said "No, after you, we insist ...":
p1030415.jpg