Purchased my first boat - did I do good?

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Stop being silly. I gave you an example of the page contradicting itself. I stand by my assertion it is riddled with in acuracies. 

I stand by my opinion it is badly written and not to be relied upon as a good source of accurate information. 

Err, you didn't, you misquoted the page and only highlighted one summary bit even thou the rest of page quote clearly states it's on about long wave radiation, but you only choose that particular bit.

Please show us the other inaccuracy's if it is riddled with the stuff, and inform the authors of the site so the can put it right.  If this is a source for kids we want it to be right.

Edited by Robbo

14 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well it depends on what colour they are, doesn't it?

If I remember my physics correctly even if they're matt black you'll still get more heat through conduction/convection than you will from radiation. 

Even a car 'radiator' sheds heat through conduction. 

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If I remember my physics correctly even if they're matt black you'll still get more heat through conduction/convection than you will from radiation. 

Even a car 'radiator' sheds heat through conduction. 

Convection, surely?

Ok, conduction, convection & radiation get rid of heat, but convection is a fraud as the heat has to get into the air and it must do so by conducting where the air actually touches and radiation where it nearly touches the hot surface, no?

Its called 'Buyers Remorse', should I really have bought that ?, I paid too much for it, I didn't need it, ec etc.

It 'hits' us all but the trigger point will vary - I rarely regret buying things from Poundland, but often wonder, when having gone into Aldi for some cheese, I leave with a Pizza oven and an angle grinder.

Did I really need them ?

Buying a boat (and the cost involved) will tend to trigger the effect in most people - but - don't worry, It rarely 'goes wrong'.

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

convection is a fraud as the heat has to get into the air and it must do so by conducting where the air actually touches...

Well yes, but without convection conduction wouldn't do much, you'd just have hot air next to the rad. With convection you move that hot air around and warm everything else up.

And if you have an Ecofan you can create a jet stream of superheated air flowing down the boat. 

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire !!!!"

No, the contents of the gold stove will be on fire. And as gold is an excellent conductor of heat, the outside will be pretty hot too. Causing the Ecofan to propel a weak stream of warm air up to six feet away if you're lucky.

19 hours ago, ThoughtfulBacon said:

Yeah, I couldn't quite believe that someone chose a gold stove, but part of the fun is making the interior my own. Thanks for the feedback!

More important than the colour colour of the stove, can you check with the previous owner, what material are those tiles mounted on. For your safety it should be calcium silicate board see stove installation linky

...and make sure that the space behind the vent grills in the doors - is actually space, not just the odd hole, or even covered by last year's birthday card.

13 hours ago, Rob@BSSOffice said:

More important than the colour colour of the stove, can you check with the previous owner, what material are those tiles mounted on. For your safety it should be calcium silicate board see stove installation linky

...and make sure that the space behind the vent grills in the doors - is actually space, not just the odd hole, or even covered by last year's birthday card.

Welcome back Rob, long time no post :D

Very nice, although if you have the funds I'd junk that whole bathroom, with its missmatched tiles and nasty grouting.  Rip it all out, check for leaks (one of the worst offenders for water in a boat is longterm bathroom leaks), and then get someone who know what they are doing to do it cheaply but properly.

On 05/06/2017 at 21:29, Canal Cuttings said:

Very nice, although if you have the funds I'd junk that whole bathroom, with its missmatched tiles and nasty grouting.  Rip it all out, check for leaks (one of the worst offenders for water in a boat is longterm bathroom leaks), and then get someone who know what they are doing to do it cheaply but properly.

Lol. An oxymoron if ever I saw one.

"Cheaply but properly" is a bit like that other mirage "A boat with a sound hull and engine that just needs the interior  and paintwork smartening up".

:D

10 hours ago, Canal Cuttings said:

Although I wouldn't even plan on touching anything for the first year, a bit of living on the boat is required first then you can decide what's good for it.

4 hours ago, Robbo said:

Although I wouldn't even plan on touching anything for the first year, a bit of living on the boat is required first then you can decide what's good for it.

+1