A "New" film?

archie57

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, archie57 said:

I don't recall seeing this before...

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-a-queer-lift-1931/

Its a new one on me too. Lovely shots of potters boats, I wonder what else thy have lying hidden? Still missing is "Many waters" from which many scenes in Barging along are taken, also the FMC publicity film and lord knows what else.

T&M WEAVER ANDERTON POTTER & SON HB SWIFT 1931 FAMILY 2.jpg

T&M WEAVER ANDERTON POTTER & SON HB SWIFT 1931 FAMILY.jpg

Another "New" film GUCCCo addicts wil love this!!

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-grand-union-canal-1938/

First "Reading " & "Tayport", lots of lighters, the GUCCo tug "Tring", "Calstock", "Renfrew", FMC "Lupin" & "Freda", FMC "Dureus" with a bulk  and much more!

1 hour ago, Laurence Hogg said:

First "Reading " & "Tayport", lots of lighters, the GUCCo tug "Tring", "Calstock", "Renfrew", FMC "Lupin" & "Freda", FMC "Dureus" with a bulk  and much more!

Not quite that "new", as it was discussed in a thread as long ago as last September......

Old thread linky

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

How come you can all view the film? My computer will not allow me to watch without subscribing to BFI player, which I presume costs!

It is free to subscribe, you get a newsletter about new finds etc.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

For a month only then £4.99 a month, and to create an account they want heaps of personal information, so that they can bombard me with spam. A complete waste of my time, I'll wait until someone places it on for free.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

How come you can all view the film? My computer will not allow me to watch without subscribing to BFI player, which I presume costs!

1 hour ago, Laurence Hogg said:

I can see these films OK, have confirmed I am not logged into the BFI site, nor have any userid or password that would allow me to.  I have never knowingly subscribed to anything.

I can't therefore explain why you cannot see them as easily as I can.

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I can see these films OK, have confirmed I am not logged into the BFI site, nor have any userid or password that would allow me to.  I have never knowingly subscribed to anything.

I can't therefore explain why you cannot see them as easily as I can.

I managed to view it this time by clicking on the "do not show me this again" tab. So why have free viewing possible if they are trying to sell a subscription? Odd!

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I managed to view it this time by clicking on the "do not show me this again" tab. So why have free viewing possible if they are trying to sell a subscription? Odd!

Not working again. All that comes up is a whilrling disc and the text " This video isn't encoded for your device" What does that mean?

Just now, David Schweizer said:

Not working again. All that comes up is a whilrling disc and the text " This video isn't encoded for your computer" What does that mean?

your codecs need updating.

38 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

codecs are for viewing video, normal pc updates usually cure the problem.

I have a brand new Windows 10 computer (less than 4 weeks ago) and have opted for automatic updates, so why is this irritating message coming up? I googled updating Codecs but the Microsoft page gave me instructions that I could not carry out because the tabs they referred to did not exist in my Media player.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I have a brand new Windows 10 computer (less than 4 weeks ago) and have opted for automatic updates, so why is this irritating message coming up? I googled updating Codecs but the Microsoft page gave me instructions that I could not carry out because the tabs they referred to did not exist in my Media player.

I can recommend Ubuntu Linux as a cure for Windows 10. Install linux alongside W10 , it won't affect the original install so you can go back to it if you really feel a need. I just watched the film via Firefox browser with Flash player installed- no problem and no signing in to BFI, this on a 2006 Dell desktop with a huge prehistoric  Compaq CRT monitor.

Win 10 or Win anything just annoys me these days- Linux keeps it simple and tells you what's going on and lets you decide about updates.

AND it's free!

Edited by billh
Forgot important bit!

3 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Install VLC Media Player from http://www.videolan.org . Its completely free and much better at playing a wide range of video and audio formats than Windows Media Player.

On 29/05/2017 at 23:07, David Mack said:

Install VLC Media Player from http://www.videolan.org . Its completely free and much better at playing a wide range of video and audio formats than Windows Media Player.

I already have VLC , but I could not get it to play the film either. However, I have loaded a "newer" version of Flash Player, and the film now plays. I was not aware that I had an older version, especially as the computer is barely a month old, but as these things are a mystery to me, I am just happy that it now works.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 13:39, Laurence Hogg said:

In this film clip , which I can't seem to view now, we see motor "Duteous" starting the butty out of a lock. The towline is secured and adjustable at the butty cabin and through running blocks  via the towing mast to the motor. So far so good. Then there is a short ,about 4foot ,connecting  chain from the towline to the motor stern hook, something I have never seen before, was it usual practice and what was the purpose of the chain? I would have expected an eye splice on the towline dropped onto the motor hook direct?

Bill