Butyl Window Tape

Featured Posts

Not narrowboat related. 

During todays thunderstorm I discovered our sailing boat windows appear to leak. On further inspection, the rubber? Gasket appears to have perished. 

I have read good things about window tape on the forum, and wondered if it would be a suitable product. 

Perhaps something like this:-

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/281165391665?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275&_mwBanner=1

Any suggestions gratefully received

IMG_20170527_175947390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170527_182811980.jpg

Edited by rusty69

Its hard to say but from the photo it looks as if the leak is between glass and the frame rather than frame and cabin side. It could still be between frame and cabin side if water is working its way behind the frame and the building up on the sealing at the bottom so it can then leak through the angle frame joint.

If it is between window and frame then butyl should work. If its between glass and the frame I fear the window may need rebuilding with new rubbers. Some on here have done that themselves but also google Eagle boat windows.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its hard to say but from the photo it looks as if the leak is between glass and the frame rather than frame and cabin side. It could still be between frame and cabin side if water is working its way behind the frame and the building up on the sealing at the bottom so it can then leak through the angle frame joint.

If it is between window and frame then butyl should work. If its between glass and the frame I fear the window may need rebuilding with new rubbers. Some on here have done that themselves but also google Eagle boat windows.

Thanks Tony. It could be either (have uploaded another pic). There is also the same kind of seal on the outside. 

11 minutes ago, W+T said:

When i rebuilt the windows i bought for the GRP cruiser i used Neoprene tape for frame the shell and its done the trick fine. I fully rebuilt the windows  aswell with new rubbers as what has perished in yours. 

I got all the bits from http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/

Thanks for the link. Looks like a decent selection. I may have to dismantle it to see what shape rubbers they are/were, although suspect it could be mastic from a tube. 

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks for the link. Looks like a decent selection. I may have to dismantle it to see what shape rubbers they are/were, although suspect it could be mastic from a tube. 

You can also send them sketches/photographs/samples of your existing seal and they'll do their best to match it up for you. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You can also send them sketches/photographs/samples of your existing seal and they'll do their best to match it up for you. 

That sounds like a good plan, as I haven't a clue what type it is. Guess i will have to dismantle a bit to investigate.