Powder coating chimney collar

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, Yeletah said:

Is there any reason I shouldn't powder coat my chimney collar? It might sound like an obvious question but I'm just wondering whether the heat is likely to affect the powder coat.

IMG_5561.jpg

Will be fine if you use a high temperature powder coating.

• Greenie 1

Replaced the flue in the collar on my boat and the normal boat paint inside and out on the collar was still in excellent condition. I was surprised. Fibreglass rope and high temp silicone sealant seems to keep the temperature of the collar itself reasonable.

Jen

56 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Replaced the flue in the collar on my boat and the normal boat paint inside and out on the collar was still in excellent condition. I was surprised. Fibreglass rope and high temp silicone sealant seems to keep the temperature of the collar itself reasonable.

Jen

Plus I'd imagine that the roof acts as a pretty effective heat sink. 

Spoke to my local powder coating company recently regarding engine components being coated. It was explained that they normally bake at 180°C so no issues with painted items as long as they stayed below 170°C. Rocker and timing covers on a hot running air cooled V twin have been fine. Doubt very much if a chimney collar would get that hot.

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Has anyone put their hand on a chimney collar when the fire is on to see how hot it gets?

If it gets very hot raise your stump now ;)

The only potential issue I can see would be the thickness of the coating.  If the chimney to collar is a tight fit, then you may run into problems with power coating.