CRT Licence Disks holder

Edward_M

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

That one again, do you have anything from CRT to back that up?

10 hours ago, lulu fish said:

I have asked them, they told me it was no longer necessary.   Have you ever heard of anyone getting trouble for not displaying a licence?  

Then they need to update the licence Ts & Cs on their web page.

7.1  You must display the Boat’s name, index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way. Any Tender must be marked with ‘Tender to (name and index number of the Boat)’. 

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Enjoy your unnecessarily untidy windows.  May as well just use sticky tape then, it will look crap either way. 

Yet another case of CRT must do everything according to the letter of the law but boaters don't need to bother about the law?

4 hours ago, lulu fish said:

The law in this instance is outdated, no longer needed and no longer enforced.

Butv still on the statue books and still in the terms and conditions.  I wasn't aware that there were certain laws it was legal to ignore.  For example a police man pointed out to me it was still illegal to have an out of date tax disc in your car window.   No longer required but still against the law.

38 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Butv still on the statue books and still in the terms and conditions.  I wasn't aware that there were certain laws it was legal to ignore.  For example a police man pointed out to me it was still illegal to have an out of date tax disc in your car window.   No longer required but still against the law.

Well you can follow old laws that are no longer needed or enforced if you wish.  I'll not bother, thanks.

6 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Well you can follow old laws that are no longer needed or enforced if you wish.  I'll not bother, thanks.

You miss the point it was the police who were following the old law.  Coupled with you have signed (I assume ) agreement to the T & Cs.  Barely honest IMO if you don't intend to follow what you have agreed to.

However those who IMO have dual standards will never agree with me so I will leave it there.

On 2017-5-25 at 10:24, lulu fish said:

I have asked them, they told me it was no longer necessary.   Have you ever heard of anyone getting trouble for not displaying a licence?  

I remember at one point there was some confusion as the message had come out that this was indeed the case, however, it was later clarified that the licence IS to be displayed on both sides of the boat. It's not really a big deal to simply comply and get on with boating.

• 1 month later...

Cut a piece of cling film slightly larger than twice the size of the licence, wrap it and it sticks to the window glass, stays there all year and looks neat

Make sure area of glass is clean and dry

Edited by 5thHorseman
added clean & dry (maybe stating the obvious)

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Cut a piece of cling film slightly larger than twice the size of the licence, wrap it and it sticks to the window glass, stays there all year and looks neat

Make sure area of glass is clean and dry

Or get them laminated in a print shop, stops them getting soggy and mouldy.

On 25 May 2017 at 10:24, lulu fish said:

Yes, me. A lock-keeper on the Severn was very very reluctant to let me through earlier this year unless I could show him visual proof that I had renewed my licence. (I hadn't been able to print it off). I had to go inside, fire up the laptop and show him my new licence on screen. 

He was apologetic but said they weren't linked to the CRT system yet and the rules said 'no licence, no travel'. 

16 minutes ago, starman said:

Yes, me. A lock-keeper on the Severn was very very reluctant to let me through earlier this year unless I could show him visual proof that I had renewed my licence. (I hadn't been able to print it off). I had to go inside, fire up the laptop and show him my new licence on screen. 

He was apologetic but said they weren't linked to the CRT system yet and the rules said 'no licence, no travel'. 

I don't display a valid licence or mooring permit but I did worry about this when on the Severn at Easter. Wasn't a problem as it turned out. The inconsistency is the problem.

11 hours ago, bill brown said:

If I see a scruffy boat not displaying a licence I usually assume its abandoned and don't bother to pass it on tickover. 

And you can 'see' the lack of licence from the point where you would need to start slowing down? Slow down past all moored boats; it's not your business to be deciding who is legitimate and who is not. It shouldn't make any difference to your behaviour in any case.

JP 

• Greenie 2

When I renewed my mooring permit at the end date of last month, the confirmation letter said CRT no longer produce mooring permits for display in the boats windows, and we are no longer expected to display them. 

However this is not the case for licences  yet.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

When I renewed my mooring permit at the end date of last month, the confirmation letter said CRT no longer produce mooring permits for display in the boats windows, and we are no longer expected to display them. 

However this is not the case for licences  yet.

I seem to remember that licence display is specifically required in some bit of legislation, so even if CRT don't need you to display it they can only tell you that you must.  As to whether they will check and enforce display is another matter.  If they told you there is no need to display it - in other words, no need to comply with the law - some boaters may think this makes it ok to ignore other laws like staying in one place.................

I have just renewed the boat licence, and you still get the pdf with the 2 licences to print, and the letter as part of that pdf still says that you must display the 2 licences on the boat.  So I don't believe anytihng has actually formally changed with respect to licences, even though that licence checkers do not use the paper licence.

8 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Or get them laminated in a print shop, stops them getting soggy and mouldy.

if you fold over edges (hence "cut cling film slightly larger") they do not get mouldy or soggy.

Does the laminated version stick to the widow on its own or do you need to use tape?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

if you fold over edges (hence "cut cling film slightly larger") they do not get mouldy or soggy.

Does the laminated version stick to the widow on its own or do you need to use tape?

It sticks to the window on its own. We have our own A4 laminator now and so can leave enough spare round the edges to tuck into the porthole surround, but in the days when we used a print shop, the laminate face was smooth enough to stay there without help.

Taken from Boaters' Update 30 June 2017

Why do I still need to display my licence discs but not my mooring permits?

Firstly, it’s correct that mooring permits are no longer required so you won’t be sent one out next time you renew your mooring and, naturally, we don’t ask you to display them either. However, we do still require you to display your boat’s licence discs, one on each side of the boat.  You may have noticed that since introducing our new online licensing, we no longer automatically post out your license discs. Instead, at the end of a successful application, a set of printable licence discs are emailed. If you have trouble printing them or don’t have access to a printer then we can do this for you, just get in touch with our customer service team or visit your local office.