Boat spotting and people taking pictures of your boat

Lia

Featured Posts

My boat appears on the sides of many Northern Trains. When my neighbour Trevor, who is actually  in the picture clambering over his boat, asked the train company who had taken it, they refused to tell him.  He wasn't wanting royalties, just a copy of the picture.

On 26/05/2017 at 10:25, Ex Brummie said:

If you feel invaded, try taking a picture of the offenders and see their reaction.

I like this approach too.

The unfortunate fact for the OP (as I understand it) is, it is perfectly legal and permissible for members of the public to photograph anything and anyone they see out and about in a public place, even though irritating.

Asking permission is good manners and failing to do so might provoke an adverse reaction, but requesting permission is not a legal requirement.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

My boat appears on the sides of many Northern Trains. When my neighbour Trevor, who is actually  in the picture clambering over his boat, asked the train company who had taken it, they refused to tell him.  He wasn't wanting royalties, just a copy of the picture.

I suppose a picture of a narrowboat on the side helps project an image of speed and modernity that Northern Trains sadly lack on their own.

Jen, who regularly has to travel on the rattley old buses that Northern Trains somehow are convinced are acceptable trains for the 21st century.

• Greenie 1

Years ago someone took a picture of our son steering one of the London Waterbuses at Little Venice.  It was turned into a huge poster advertising new flats at Brentford.

We thought it was a bit of a cheek, but there was nothing we could do about it. 

Nobody asked my permission to take the pic, but the photographer asked if it was OK to use it for his promotional work.

We said OK! - and some  time  much later after we had forgotten all about it, it suddenly appeared on the cover of Canals & Rivers - 10 years ago - how time flies!

Willpower Canals & River Cover pic -  Aug 07.jpg

Edited by Horace42

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Fulbourne has been photoshopped into an image of the new development at Fish Island Village, Hackney Wick.

And they made it look like you are going fill speed into a closed lock!  :D

On 26/05/2017 at 15:05, Kawayuppie said:

And they made it look like you are going fill speed into a closed lock!  :D

Yes I thought that too. 

I also thought Fulbourne only looks about 2/3 correct size!

On 26/05/2017 at 15:26, Peter X said:

Fulbourne's crew are creatures of habit. They're all in exactly the same positions and clothes when photographed at that second location.

And is STILL out of scale and looking faintly like a radio controlled model boat :)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Great photo, that. I always think the steerer looks a spitting image of our very own Mr Fincher here. I think it's the way he is standing, leaning on the hatch slides. :) 

You might like this one of Fulbourne & Angel...

28565175585_465782492c_o.jpg.67cf2674bc4cd7a31a433d1c925cf44d.jpg

Edited by WotEver

On 2017-5-24 at 18:27, ditchcrawler said:

I had a photographer send me a lovely photo of our boat when we were in Manchester. I think getting photographed goes with the territory. 

I've had a few nice shots of me cruising on the Thames and K&A by shouting my email address across to the photographer.

I can't help thinking that anyone who actually minds someone taking pictures of their boat is a bit over-sensitive.