Boat spotting and people taking pictures of your boat

Lia

Featured Posts

Personally I don't like it but then I am an anti social old groat.  I always make it obvious, without being rude, that I don't want a picture taken. God knows where it might end up.  To me it's a bit like people invading my personal space, which these days is about a one mile perimeter. Plus I think it should be polite to ask.  I don't have to answer to anyone but fancy having your picture taken anywhere doing any thing, it ends up on Facebook or any other stupid site and the next day your boss calls you in and asks why you were on the Death Slide at Alton Towers when you said you were virtually dying and couldn't come in to work:lol:

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

We ended up on the front of the Nicholson Guide as we went into Liverpool. Didn't get offered a free copy though!

Yes, we have a copy of that and sure enough there you are on the cover.

Much the same as most public exhibitions, I'm not remotely bothered if someone wants to photograph the boat, it happens mostly going through locks where you become just part of the scenery.  If you wanted to take a photo of your home High Street, would you need to ask permission of all the cars that may be there at the time, or would you expect to have to wait until there were no cars there?

If the photo is taken for commercial purposes (which I would think would include "Bullfinch" above) then I would say that permission should be asked and (also relating to "Bullfinch" above) some 'consideration' given, a free copy isn't actually unreasonable, did you ask?

I reckon it goes with the territory, though climbing on the boat, shooting through the windows and so on maybe needs some engagement with the perp. You can always nip out and shove a flyer for your preferred waterways org at them.

Best experience we had was a woman at the North portal of Harecastle who took photos of the boat as we emerged from the tunnel. She then asked us for permission to use one as a postcard. We said yes and she duly sent us half a dozen after they'd been printed.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

If the photo is taken for commercial purposes (which I would think would include "Bullfinch" above) then I would say that permission should be asked and (also relating to "Bullfinch" above) some 'consideration' given, a free copy isn't actually unreasonable, did you ask?

Yes, we dd write a polite letter to Nicholsons but we never received a reply! We did however buy our own copy from the lovely folk at Thorne Marine on the Bridgewater at Stockton Heath. 

Our boat is just a run of the mill 20 year old Colecraft 60' with a fairly faded paintwork and I'm amazed how many times people take photos of us as we're cruising along. As someone else says, it's just because the presence of a moving boat adds to the landscape of their photograph because our boat is nothing special.

I haven't a problem with that, but I would have if they were trying some of the things some of you others have encountered.

Definately goes with the territory. 

We live canalside, and loads of people passing on boats or walking the towpath take photo's of the garden, house and boat (usually the garden).

One forum member even took pictures of the house and boat, and posted them on this forum, asking if it was my house and boat. 

Do I mind, no, not at all. If it brightens up their day, it's all the better. 

The most unusual one was when a head popped over the parapet of the adjacent bridge, took a photo and popped down again. 

I was wondering what was going on, then we noticed the boat coming through the bridge was our ex-shareboat.

That Christmas we got a card from the shareholders, containing a photo of our house and moored boat, with our ex-shareboat passing. A lovely thought and a treasured photo.

Whilst cruising past one of the potteries in Stafford last year a TV crew came running out and quickly set up a camera to film us going past, I was so, so very tempted to give them the moon. I managed to hold back my childish sense of humour but damn I'm getting boring as I get older.

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

Who cares about what? Whether people see the canal network as something worth supporting or viewed with disinterest?

Who cares about people taking photos of your boat?

I didn't quote your post did I?

Was reading a book in the back of the boat while moored in central Brum a few years ago. The wife got off to do some shopping, and a few minutes later I felt the boat move.

I looked up front, expecting to find that SWMBO had forgotten her purse or something, but not a bit of it. Several people were busy making themselves comfortable to pose for a photo in my well deck. They legged it quickly when I invited them to vacate the area in short, jerky movements.

SWMBO later told me that she had seen the group standing there looking at the boat. They'd obviously waited until she was out of sight and then hopped onboard. Bloody cheek.

13 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Whilst cruising past one of the potteries in Stafford last year a TV crew came running out and quickly set up a camera to film us going past, I was so, so very tempted to give them the moon. I managed to hold back my childish sense of humour but damn I'm getting boring as I get older.

As i was going over the Pontcysllte aqueduct i spotted a TV camera crew wandering back to their car in the field below, they spotted my boat and ran like buggery to set up the cameras and start filming.

Me being me ducked  back into the boat and let it take itself over, apparently it was a crew from a Japanese TV programme, makes me smile to this day

Small things ;)

1 minute ago, PaulG said:

Was reading a book in the back of the boat while moored in central Brum a few years ago. The wife got off to do some shopping, and a few minutes later I felt the boat move.

I looked up front, expecting to find that SWMBO had forgotten her purse or something, but not a bit of it. Several people were busy making themselves comfortable to pose for a photo in my well deck. They legged it quickly when I invited them to vacate the area in short, jerky movements.

SWMBO later told me that she had seen the group standing there looking at the boat. They'd obviously waited until she was out of sight and then hopped onboard. Bloody cheek.

Ahhh well, one Sunday morning, i was having a very rare lie in and i felt the boat move and heard voices on the back deck.

I got out of bed and grumped  from the side hatch at the lovely family who were posing  for a photo, i can tell you they looked very shocked to be confronted  by a sleepy grumpy and errr naked bloke, well it was hot and i forgot i was sans night clothes 

Tbf they scarped quickly :)

We get photographed constantly. It's mainly because of Lily, our large German Shepherd bitch who is very photogenic. I'm happy that she/us have cheered someone up. 

Less happy in Gas St basin two weeks ago, when a 40ish lady stood in the rear cockpit while her friend took a photo. They then swapped places, even though Lily went ballistic below decks. They scarpered as I opened the hatch. 

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Who cares about people taking photos of your boat?

I didn't quote your post did I?

Ah, I thought you were responding to my post immediately before yours but obviously it was in response to the OP. My apologies.

46 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Ah, I thought you were responding to my post immediately before yours but obviously it was in response to the OP. My apologies.

S'alright, I agree with your views on supporting the network etc.

1 hour ago, MHS said:

We get photographed constantly. It's mainly because of Lily, our large German Shepherd bitch who is very photogenic. I'm happy that she/us have cheered someone up. 

Less happy in Gas St basin two weeks ago, when a 40ish lady stood in the rear cockpit while her friend took a photo. They then swapped places, even though Lily went ballistic below decks. They scarpered as I opened the hatch. 

Strewth!
You look more frightening than a GSD?

blackbeard_smokinghair.jpg