Rejuvenating Lithion Iron Batteres?

pearley

Featured Posts

Is it possible?

The battery on my VHF handheld, which has been used for about 20days in total and has probably only had 10charge cycles, won't charge. A new one is £35 which is a lot for a few days on the Trent if there is an alternative.

12 minutes ago, pearley said:

Is it possible?

The battery on my VHF handheld, which has been used for about 20days in total and has probably only had 10charge cycles, won't charge. A new one is £35 which is a lot for a few days on the Trent if there is an alternative.

If the cells go under a certain discharge I think they get foobarred but the battery controller should have stopped this, but if you've left unused for a long time?  Battery Uni has a good article. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off

Edited by Robbo

Many marine VHF's can use AA or AAA batteries as a substitute - some need an 'adapter battery box' (a couple of pounds from ebay)

Many marine VHF's will operate from a 12v (cigarette lighter) supply and would most likely has been sold with one 'in the box'.

Some marine VHF's can be run off a 'blanking plate adapter' that has a 12v cigarette lighter plug attached to what would be the 'battery terminals'

If it is one of the 'quality' ones (such as Icom or Yaseu) they normally have a number of power options.

If it is one of the 'cheap'  Cobra ones, they will work with AAA batteries - A new Cobra is about £50 so maybe worth getting one in lieu of a battery for your existing one, giving you the additional flexibility.

Edit to add :

Here is a pic of my Yaseu 'adapter' that simulates the required 7.2 volts. There are no batteries in the 'pack' and it was (from memory) about £5.

Simply replaces the 'real' battery and allows you to run directly from a cigarette lighter socket.

IMG_20170524_130521.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

22 hours ago, Robbo said:

If the cells go under a certain discharge I think they get foobarred but the battery controller should have stopped this, but if you've left unused for a long time?  Battery Uni has a good article. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/low_voltage_cut_off

It has not been used for about 3 years. The moral is get the battery out and charge it regularly.

Just read the article. Would seem that its buggered. Even if it wasn't I haven't got access to 40 volts on board.

21 hours ago, mross said:

Can you check that the charger hasn't failed?  (with a voltmeter) or try another charger?  You can get 'em cheap from Halfords or Amazon - you know - a multipurpose one.

Already done that. Charger is putting out 9 volts which is the spec and if I sit battery in charger but not in the transceiver, I also get 9 volts on the terminals that connect inside it. Transceiver switches on and works ok whilst sat in the charger.

There is or rather was an option of AA battery carrier but the only one I can find is only a couple of quid less than a new battery at £29.95

Edited by pearley

2 hours ago, pearley said:

It has not been used for about 3 years. The moral is get the battery out and charge it regularly.

Just read the article. Would seem that its budgeted. Even if it wasn't I haven't got access to 40 volts on board.

You can also keep them in the freezer as the cold reduces the discharge.  Warm em up before using tho.