West Stockwith Tides

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Can anyone explain to me what is going on in these tide graphs and tables for West Stockwith at http://tides.willyweather.co.uk/em/nottinghamshire/west-stockwith.html ?

It looks like the levels aren't going up and down and aren't even semi-diurnal.  Only high tides are given, with no low tides.  The equivalent for Keadby looks quite normal - two tides a day, going up and down as expected.

If this is just a cock-up, can anyone point me in the direction of another more reliable site giving West Stockwith tides, please?

I am sure a more knowledgeable local will be along in a minute, but that is an odd pattern. I don't know if the predictions are being modified in the light of the significant fresh water still coming down the river, and with springs approaching the high tide goes up a bit each day. Then from 28 May it gradually falls. Then from 10th June you get a more normal predicted pattern? NB I have read that at some locations on the Trent (near Cromwell) the low tide at springs is higher than it is at neaps; as well as (more normally) HW springs being higher than HW neaps.

I find this quite helpful, shows the tidal cycle at various locations relative to Hull.tidaltrent.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
Forgetfulness

The flood (the time when the tide starts to come in) at West stockwith starts at high tide Hull (more or less). 

It runs in for 2 hrs 15mins.  So it runs in with considerable pace. You dont want to be trying to enter the lock off the Trent while it is running in fast.

High tide is the best time to arrive when the water is  slack but this is difficult to achieve if you are coming from Torksey.

The tide runs out with a  fair lick but that is slow compared to the way it comes in. An hour after high tide the flow will still be tolerable  even on springs. 

In practice you should - must-  talk to the lock keeper at west stockwith the day before you wil be travelling and if you are uncertain he will advise you of a good time.

http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/on-the-water/navigation/navigating-the-tidal-river-trent/

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/hull

Edited by MartynG

10 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Can anyone explain to me what is going on in these tide graphs and tables for West Stockwith at http://tides.willyweather.co.uk/em/nottinghamshire/west-stockwith.html ?

It looks like the levels aren't going up and down and aren't even semi-diurnal.  Only high tides are given, with no low tides.  The equivalent for Keadby looks quite normal - two tides a day, going up and down as expected.

If this is just a cock-up, can anyone point me in the direction of another more reliable site giving West Stockwith tides, please?

Both the graph and the tidal clock, which shows nominal 6-hour intervals from HW to LW or vice versa, are utter rubbish - maybe the clue is in the website name !

The best way to get Stockwith tide times is to make a time allowance in relation to HW at Hull. At the time of the biggest Springs expect Flood at Stockwith at around HW at Hull, and HW at Stockwith at around Hull + 2 hours 10 mins, and at the time of the smallest Neaps expect Flood at around 10-15 mins before HW at Hull, and HW at around Hull + 2 hours 15-20 mins. All of these times are greatly affected by atmospheric pressure and wind direction over the North Sea, the Humber and the Trent - so expect and allow for variations of up to as much as 10-15 mins either early or late.

Edited by PhilAtterley

48 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The flood (the time when the tide starts to come in) at West stockwith starts at high tide Hull (more or less). 

It runs in for 2 hrs 15mins.  So it runs in with considerable pace. You dont want to be trying to enter the lock off the Trent while it is running in fast.

High tide is the best time to arrive when the water is  slack but this is difficult to achieve if you are coming from Torksey.

You are right in what you say apart from it being difficult to get to Stockwith at around (local) HW with the tide dropping slack. Wherever they are coming from, any downriver, outbound craft can arrive at Stockwith at around slackwater if they are somewhere near the top end of Knaith Rack at the time of predicted HW at Hull.

Thank you for confirming that the graph and tables are rubbish - I was beginning to doubt myself!  The strange thing is that the same site's info for Kearby is fine.

In fact I'm planning to go out of Stockwith up to Torksey next week and want all the tide behind me that I can get, being as Torksey cut can be got into at any time.

Although I will of course consult the Stockwith lockie, I am doing my own research these days after twice being sent out of Keadby at the wrong time, the first resulting in me crawling against the ebb for the last two miles, and the second, a couple of weeks ago, arriving with a strong tide and having a slightly tense (but near-perfect!) entry at Stockwith.

Going upstream out of West Stockwith  is easier than going down.

You will exit West Stockwith as soon as there is enough depth which will probably be within half an hour of the flood.

You will probably need to go boldly out of the lock into the upstream flow, which will  will take you all the way up to Torksey.

The other week, on springs ,we  left West Stockwith and were getting 3.5 knots of extra speed over the ground  from the tide , which gradually diminished with progression upstream to Torksey.  On Neap tides the free fuel provided by the tide will be reduced.

Bear in mind the tides can be as much as  half an hour off the predicted time depending on weather conditions. This is where the experienced  lock keepers should be able to help.

Edited by MartynG

Departing shortly after the flood would also enable you to stop off for an hour or so on the pontoon at Gainsborough. I think we turned the wrong way when we got to the main road, we should have turned left to find the more interesting part of the town. 

dscf5925.jpg