More or Less Space!?...Perception Boosts

Featured Posts

On 23/05/2017 at 21:18, The Grumpy Triker said:

Thanks for all of this, all sounds sensible good advice to be blended inI like the matt look.....trying hard to picture the final finish

need an app to scan your boat and be able to put different colours around inside and outside <_<

Nope ....no nearer I'm afraid.....am a real newbie so totally ignorant of some terminology I'm afraid.....am trying!

....very trying!....I know :D

They are called deck lights, or deck prisms. 

https://marinestore.co.uk/Deck_Lights.html

bullseyes can focus the sun and cause fires, but triangular section skylights can bring a lot of light into a cabin and don't have to look dated.  But don't fit above a bed as condensation can drip.  I should have called them prisms, rather than pyramids.  There's a great picture of one in this build blog by Esme No.2

• Greenie 1

Have you thought of carpet tiles? They're about 18" square and when a section gets dirty you can just take it off the floor and put it through the washing machine, without disturbing its cleaner neighbours. We have used them on our last two boats and find them most convenient. Also, if you get fed up with their colour, they can be quickly replaced.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have you thought of carpet tiles? They're about 18" square and when a section gets dirty you can just take it off the floor and put it through the washing machine, without disturbing its cleaner neighbours. We have used them on our last two boats and find them most convenient. Also, if you get fed up with their colour, they can be quickly replaced.

Good point!....not even considered that, and buy enough spares to cover my own un-doubtable talent for making a mess :)

3 hours ago, mross said:

A patterned carpet, as seen in pubs, will not show every muddy footprint, dog hair or spilt drink.  Carpet is quieter and makes the floor feel a bit warmer.

The softer warm feeling is ideal but want to get a lighter....not light colour on the floor I think....but the pub carpet colours are tempting. Not sure you can get soft thick floor tiles that stick in place will have to look as that may  be a decent option. I always seem to find the corner that is lifting sadly....yep I know, still it down better then :)

6 hours ago, mross said:

I have Heuga style carpet tiles in my boatman's cabin and they haven't curled up.  And you could glue them down if they did and still be able to lift them for washing.

Might be my best option - will have to look those up, cheers mross

22 hours ago, peterboat said:

Mine is oak and ash so light and bright, I love the wood but another boat I am doing will be wood and painted finish with wood floor. All boats are different and as long as you like it and can live with it thats all that matters

:cheers:

Both of our shareboats were fitted with Flotex carpet tiles.

They are warm and hard wearing. Still good after 12 years of hard use. They will even come back clean after oil is spilled on them.

The only thing they don't like is hot coals being dropped on them, buthen then you just replace the damaged tile.

Not cheap though.

http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/products/flotex-flocked-flooring/ctbual

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

They are warm and hard wearing. Still good after 12 years of hard use. They will even come back clean after oil is spilled on them.

The only thing they don't like is hot coals being dropped on them, buthen then you just replace the damaged tile.

Not cheap though.

I agree -  I think normally in 50cm squares. I did mine in the autumn, needing 41 of them (they come in boxes of 20). 

In our boat we deliberately avoided bulkheads - we only have one that goes the full width of the boat. If people want to get changed for dinner they can use the loo.

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2016/11/13/floorboards-and-carpets/

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

9 hours ago, cuthound said:

Not cheap though.

That is what we have in the galley

Thinking about it...I'm going to have a good old English Sheepdog on my boat! When has the decor ever been bad with the adults dog about ...just get him to walk through and it'll be fresh paint, wood, carpet and varnish everywhere and all for the cost of some dog poo bags!

...might not be any room left in the boat, and thinking about it!?..I do love dogs but!?

...sorting the kiddies out was enough in that department, newspapers are for reading nowadays ...not for spreading over the floor in case of accidents....unless I've been to the pub that is.

cRpet tiles is looking good.....just got to sort the colours out still :(

When I was looking for a boat I wanted a non plywood lined boat as I like tongue and groove stained or varnished and a light colour below the gunnel.

Its magnolia below gunnel and ceiling should be but never painted it yet. The floor I laid a reclaimed parquet floor, think it's miranti same as walls and oiled it in a satin saicos hardwax oil. The picture below is 3 years old or more and the floor and wall painting need re-doing. Hope to re paint inside and out this summer.

Boat006_zps18f04d7a.jpg

James.

18 hours ago, canals are us? said:

When I was looking for a boat I wanted a non plywood lined boat as I like tongue and groove stained or varnished and a light colour below the gunnel.

Its magnolia below gunnel and ceiling should be but never painted it yet. The floor I laid a reclaimed parquet floor, think it's miranti same as walls and oiled it in a satin saicos hardwax oil. The picture below is 3 years old or more and the floor and wall painting need re-doing. Hope to re paint inside and out this summer.

Boat006_zps18f04d7a.jpg

James.

Wow that is spacious and very light and airy.

the only concern I have about a wood floor is mid-winter and/or on the rainy days when you drop inside in a rush and your feet go flying from under you....I am a hugely clumsy muppet and ideally I should be trapped inside a baby walker, if they did them for my size :D

i like the lighter lower part and darker wood upper on the hull sides, but will probably go for a soft and option on the flooring.

nice space though and good luck on the outside painting - I've watched the videos and am still thinking of giving it a try......maybe!