Flexible filler?

Featured Posts

There is a 3" diameter hole on the roof of my boat (possibly originally intended as an exhaust outlet) which has at some point been filled. The problem is that the filler has cracked over time from the constant expanding and contracting of the surrounding steel, thus revealing a circular crack.

I'm due to get the roof repainted in a few weeks so I'd really like to fix it in such a way that the filled hole remains concealed. I can't weld underneath as there's no access without removing a lot of wooden ceiling panelling, and I'm trying to avoid simply welding a plate on top. Also, I cannot make use of the hole by attaching a mushroom vent to it because it's literally right at the back next to the sliding hatch so it might look a bit odd.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of flexible filler which can expand with the metal? I think the current filler is probably fibreglass so that rules that out as a solution. Any suggestions are most welcome!

A decent welder should be able to fill the hole with a plate, welding from above.  Grind off the weld and apply a small amount of Isopon and the job should be a good 'un.

This should really be in Maintenance rather than Build Blogs so I'll ask a mod to move it.

Tony :)

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

A decent welder should be able to fill the hole with a plate, welding from above.  Grind off the weld and apply a small amount of Isopon and the job should be a good 'un.

This should really be in Maintenance rather than Build Blogs so I'll ask a mod to move it.

Tony :)

...and one has now done so.

As others have suggested above, having a good welder insert a plate would be the best solution. If you end up using a filler, the best available is a two pack one sold under the name of easy fair, which is both flexible and sticks very well to properly prepared surfaces. The only drawback is that it is only sold in fairly large quantities. Available from a company called resin store in Cornwall.

I think that I would cut a aluminium or steel disc 20mm bigger than the hole, use plenty of decent silicon sealer and use pop rivets to fix it.

2 minutes ago, Gal said:

I think that I would cut a aluminium or steel disc 20mm bigger than the hole, use plenty of decent silicon sealer and use pop rivets to fix it.

Thereby categorising yourself as a bodger, first class ;)

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Or use the hole for another vent or bullseye.

21 hours ago, Yeletah said:

I cannot make use of the hole by attaching a mushroom vent to it because it's literally right at the back next to the sliding hatch so it might look a bit odd.

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

Or use the hole for another vent or bullseye.

That's what I would do, even if there was nothing underneath. 

Are you saying you have a 3" hole in a steel roof that is nothing but filler, of has the roof been repaired and the repair covered with filler?

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

Bullseye

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am surprised it hasn't just fallen out in that case, even when I bodged my old cars up as a lad I put a lump of zink over the hole and some pop rivets.

Agreed :)

On 5/22/2017 at 12:52, Yeletah said:

There is a 3" diameter hole on the roof of my boat (possibly originally intended as an exhaust outlet) which has at some point been filled. The problem is that the filler has cracked over time from the constant expanding and contracting of the surrounding steel, thus revealing a circular crack.

I'm due to get the roof repainted in a few weeks so I'd really like to fix it in such a way that the filled hole remains concealed. I can't weld underneath as there's no access without removing a lot of wooden ceiling panelling, and I'm trying to avoid simply welding a plate on top. Also, I cannot make use of the hole by attaching a mushroom vent to it because it's literally right at the back next to the sliding hatch so it might look a bit odd.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of flexible filler which can expand with the metal? I think the current filler is probably fibreglass so that rules that out as a solution. Any suggestions are most welcome!

Where abouts are you ?