URGENT HELP PLEASE - Lister Blackstone Box Om HA2 Stuck In REverse.

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

I  believe RLWP can supply reliable PRM 150's. This bottle of Merlot is good. Hic! :rolleyes:

It must be good wine, Ray, but as I'm just back from a few pints in london with mates, I feel qualified to respond!

I hardly think a PRM150 is up to the job of delivering the power from an HA2.

The Blackstone box was a truly excellent bit of kit when new, but as most are now half a century old, it depends on its past history, and what has been done to it, (good or bad) over the years.

I'm not too convinced as many PRM 150s will be in generally good order after 50 years or more.

Anyway they are not a valid replacement as the loud whining noise a Blackstone box makes in reverse is all part of the working boat authenticity, and PRM boxes are far too quiet!

On 23/05/2017 at 23:02, alan_fincher said:

I hardly think a PRM150 is up to the job of delivering the power from an HA2.

Oooo an opportunity to correct that nice Mr Fincher on something he says that's wrong. Like DMR the other day, this is very rare and exciting!!

An HA2 delivers 22hp at 1,800 rpm according to the table here:

http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/engdata.html

And the PRM150 is good for 2.1hp per 100rpm according to the manufacturer here:

http://www.prm-newage.com/media/uploads/5050834c6f7e0.pdf

So the PRM is good for 37.8bhp at 1,800rpm, giving plenty of margin to suit the 22hp output of an HA2!

Yay!

5 hours ago, IanM said:

Plus the PRM doesn't make the lovely whine when in reverse cloud9.gif

Ahem!....................

16 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Anyway they are not a valid replacement as the loud whining noise a Blackstone box makes in reverse is all part of the working boat authenticity, and PRM boxes are far too quiet!

On 5/24/2017 at 09:52, Mike the Boilerman said:

And the PRM150 is good for 2.1hp per 100rpm according to the manufacturer here:

Only if you think Flamingo fits in the 'Pleasure' category, not the 'Commercial' one.

I bet the flywheel and prop of an HR would see off a 150 in short order

Richard

15 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Only if you think Flamingo fits in the 'Pleasure' category, not the 'Commercial' one.

Richard

My thoughts as well, but if Mike wants to feel he has proved me wrong on something, I'm happy to let him have that pleasure!

Not sure I have even seen an H series engine mater to a PRM box, (nor would I want to!), but if it had to happen I'd want a meatier PRM than the 150.

Just now, alan_fincher said:

My thoughts as well, but if Mike wants to feel he has proved me wrong on something, I'm happy to let him have that pleasure!

Not sure I have even seen an H series engine mater to a PRM box, (nor would I want to!), but if it had to happen I'd want a meatier PRM than the 150.

Plenty of H series with big PRM boxes out there, Alan

Not 150s though

Richard

On 25/05/2017 at 10:08, RLWP said:

Richard

And if it did, I wonder how PRM would reject the guarantee claim, given Flamingo is clearly a leisure boat.

I was just pointing out Alan's claim that a 150 could not handle the 22hp of an HA2 was contradicted by PRM in their published specification.

There are some misguided ideas about the power/torque transmission capabilities of gearboxes evident in preceding posts.

Firstly regarding the size/mass of flywheels : it was suggested that a big diameter heavy flywheel would give the gearbox a harder time than a smaller and lighter one - in fact, quite the reverse is the reality, big, heavy flywheels smooth out torsional/cyclical vibrations and irregularities that small, light flywheels pass on to drive members and transmissions.

Secondly, as marine gearboxes themselves have no way of knowing if they are being used in a commercial boat or a pleasure boat and that consideration alone has no effect whatsoever on the life of a gearbox, the manufacturers arrive at the different ratings based on the number of hours running per year at or close to full power and/or speed.

Edited by PhilAtterley

19 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

We had a prm on Meccas hb 3 without issues. I think it was a 160 ran off the front of the engine( flywheel end) no drama.

But what Ray suggested was a a P150

The P160 was a considerably meatier bit of kit, with quoted capabilities listed in the range 3.05 to 3.43 BHP per 100 RPM, depending on application.

The equivalent numbers for the PRM150 mentioned are only in the range 1.5 to 2.1 BHP per 100 RPM.

Thats's a big difference, and I would not want to see what an H series engine was capable of doing to the much lower specced gerabox.

Clearly your knowledge is far better than mine. I have no clue des of their capacities blindly assuming a 160 was a bit stronger than a 150, but knowing an hb3 is a lot stronger than a 2!!!  The only other observation I would make is that they are ugly and would not suit the character of your boat. Mecca a beautiful boat was a blank canvas in terms of build as her history was only in bits of the hull. The hb3 is also mounted in the wrong place....