Is this cruising pattern acceptable?

DeanS

Featured Posts

Our current marina is evicting 30boats and there's no immediate alternative available to me...although I'll keep my ears and eyes open...:)  I'm being forced to go cruising to remain on the good side of CRT. Would this cruising pattern be acceptable?

A slow trip...from Manchester...to Walsden...21miles up the Rochdale...50 locks..(via Castleton, Mills Hill, SmithyBridge, Littleborough, the Pennines summit, Walsden)...moving about 5 miles every 2 weeks.....turn at Walsden....back down the Rochdale at the same pace...down into Manchester...spending 2 weeks then onto the Bridgewater....one free week.....one paid extra week.....travelling to Sale.....returning to Manchester..onto CRT waters...2 weeks in Manchester...and then a slow trip back up to Walsden again and repeat forever until New Islington marina is ready to give me my mooring back after it's been repaired.  

Not quite sure what I'll do when CRT close the Rochdale for repairs over winter....I'm going to try secure winter moorings on the Bridgewater. Until then, I'm marina-less and in full cruising mode.

I'm planning on logging every step of my cruising journey online as a record to provide to anyone who wants it.

(bearing in mind I have 2 boats..a widebeam and a narrowboat/butty, and doing 50 locks means opening all gates for the widebeam and repeating for the 2nd boat..quite a lot of work per lock)

Edited by DeanS

Why not talk to CRT about your situation If you can get in writing from Islington Marina reason and a place will be there for you post work then it should help as situation is not of your choice .

Edited by b0atman

4 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Why not talk to CRT about your situation If you can get in writing from Islington Marina reason and a place will be there for you post work then it should help as situation is not of your choice .

I doubt CART wiill give a definitive reply to a one off boat owners question, why should they? they will just state you have to comply with ccing legislation. Its a tough one for Dean but there are other waterways the widebeam could move to. Is your mooring a pukka residential mooring approved by council etc Dean? if it is then I suspect you have more chance of no hassle.

Our opinions count for nothing, obviously, but I can't see that your intended navigation would create a problem.

I would contact C&RT and explain the situation regarding your marina and your enforced cruising plans, not seeking permission (none is needed) but to create a 'point of contact' with someone at C&RT should you experience difficulties.

Rog

In principle Dean still has a home mooring but because of circumstances beyond his control he has to be on the system for which he has a licence Contacting CRT maf enable him to get a long term mooring to cover this period.

32 minutes ago, b0atman said:

In principle Dean still has a home mooring but because of circumstances beyond his control he has to be on the system for which he has a licence Contacting CRT maf enable him to get a long term mooring to cover this period.

I'm not aware of any CRT long term moorings on the Rochdale? 
CC-ing is going to cost me an extra £350 per month on rail tickets for my wife, me, son to get to work/college. 

I'm just going to do my best to remain on the good side of the non existent travel requirement..and if I face any enforcement, I'll just extend my cruising distance. I might display a detailed cruising log next to the boat index number in a plastic folder of some sort. Not keen on contacting them beforehand...as I'm not guilty of anything and don't expect to be guilty of anything...just want to be left iin peace to get on with it...as long as I have the documentation to show a cruising pattern.  Even thought to buy some bikes and take the boats to Todmorden...it's only a 2km cycle back to the Walsden rail station....but the savings in rail fare is huge if you catch a train on the Manchester side of the summit. :)

49 minutes ago, dogless said:

Our opinions count for nothing, obviously, but I can't see that your intended navigation would create a problem.

I would contact C&RT and explain the situation regarding your marina and your enforced cruising plans, not seeking permission (none is needed) but to create a 'point of contact' with someone at C&RT should you experience difficulties.

Rog

I've re-read your post. Yes...I think I will draft a letter nearer the time....as well as a letter to the Manchester council . 

Unless the 5 miles thing is to keep close to stations, I'd be inclined to say go at a slower pace if you're cruising over a short range or you're going to keep popping up in the same spots fairly frequently, but I'd definitely communicate with them. In my experience they're reasonable people and it's much better to speak to them and explain the situation rather than leave it to their imagination. The alternative is you suddenly get a notice at the end of your license period saying you haven't moved enough and you're put on a restricted license next year.

Sounds like a crappy situation and it's a useful reminder that calls for a 200 to 300 mile CCing range are bonkers and should be firmly rebuffed. It's an impossible target for virtually everyone who isn't in the very fortunate position of being retired, independently wealthy or having an extremely flexible job. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

Unless the 5 miles thing is to keep close to stations, I'd be inclined to say go at a slower pace if you're cruising over a short range or you're going to keep popping up in the same spots fairly frequently, but I'd definitely communicate with them. In my experience they're reasonable people and it's much better to speak to them and explain the situation rather than leave it to their imagination. The alternative is you suddenly get a notice at the end of your license period saying you haven't moved enough and you're put on a restricted license next year.

Sounds like a crappy situation and it's a useful reminder that calls for a 200 to 300 mile CCing range are bonkers and should be firmly rebuffed. It's an impossible target for virtually everyone who isn't in the very fortunate position of being retired, independently wealthy or having an extremely flexible job. 

Good ideas.
There are VERY few water/elsan points on the Rochdale, so unless someone has lots of water tanks (I do) and lots of spare casettes (I do) , it would be difficult to travel slowly between those service points. (as you'd obviously have to try and reach them or go without.).  I'm buying more cassettes as part of my CC preparations.

Cruisin

Baby let's cruise, away from here
Don't be confused, the way is clear
And if you want it you got it forever
This is not a one night stand
Let the music take your mind
Ooh just release and you will find
You're gonna fly away, glad your goin' my way
I love it when we're cruising together
The music is played for love,
Cruising is made for love
I love it when we're cruising together

Smokey !!!

Contacting CRT in the first instance is good advice, also find out who the enforcement officer is as he/she will be your first point of contact if you cannot move. There are loose guidelines on CRT website about CCing,  bear in mind they are guidelines, not statute, and this situation has being forced on you. Consider joining a boating group, for advice and guidance. I continously cruise on the K and A, over about a 30 mile distance before turning around,  and cruise further when on holiday. This seems to keep the powers that be happy.

7 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Contacting CRT in the first instance is good advice, also find out who the enforcement officer is as he/she will be your first point of contact if you cannot move. There are loose guidelines on CRT website about CCing,  bear in mind they are guidelines, not statute, and this situation has being forced on you. Consider joining a boating group, for advice and guidance. I continously cruise on the K and A, over about a 30 mile distance before turning around,  and cruise further when on holiday. This seems to keep the powers that be happy.

Good to know...thanks.

A bit in one of the papers about it.Looks as if it will be under new management when it reopens so unlikely the present management will offer anyone a place. Don't know if everything in the artical is true or not, its a news paper after all.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/residents-new-islington-marina-told-13069899

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A bit in one of the papers about it.Looks as if it will be under new management when it reopens so unlikely the present management will offer anyone a place. Don't know if everything in the artical is true or not, its a news paper after all.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/residents-new-islington-marina-told-13069899

Some facts are wrong.  They didn't send 4 letters saying boaters needed to look for new moorings. Previous letters said there was a "possibility" they would need to drain the marina. I only received one previous letter. After that I asked the park manager 2 mths back if there was anything going to happen and was told he hadn't heard anything. In April we were asked to sign our new annual contracts....which we did. In May we received the eviction notice letter, and (for the first time) news it was to be minimum of a year, and (for the first time) news that the marina management was changing and we would have no guarantee of getting our same mooring back afterwards. 

18 hours ago, DeanS said:

Our current marina is evicting 30boats and there's no immediate alternative available to me...although I'll keep my ears and eyes open...:)  I'm being forced to go cruising to remain on the good side of CRT. Would this cruising pattern be acceptable?

A slow trip...from Manchester...to Walsden...21miles up the Rochdale...50 locks..(via Castleton, Mills Hill, SmithyBridge, Littleborough, the Pennines summit, Walsden)...moving about 5 miles every 2 weeks.....turn at Walsden....back down the Rochdale at the same pace...down into Manchester...spending 2 weeks then onto the Bridgewater....one free week.....one paid extra week.....travelling to Sale.....returning to Manchester..onto CRT waters...2 weeks in Manchester...and then a slow trip back up to Walsden again and repeat forever until New Islington marina is ready to give me my mooring back after it's been repaired.  

Not quite sure what I'll do when CRT close the Rochdale for repairs over winter....I'm going to try secure winter moorings on the Bridgewater. Until then, I'm marina-less and in full cruising mode.

I'm planning on logging every step of my cruising journey online as a record to provide to anyone who wants it.

(bearing in mind I have 2 boats..a widebeam and a narrowboat/butty, and doing 50 locks means opening all gates for the widebeam and repeating for the 2nd boat..quite a lot of work per lock)

Since you have two boats, can you count both mileages together - thus doubling the 'distance travelled' . . . .

9 hours ago, DeanS said:

I'm not aware of any CRT long term moorings on the Rochdale? 
CC-ing is going to cost me an extra £350 per month on rail tickets for my wife, me, son to get to work/college. 

I'm just going to do my best to remain on the good side of the non existent travel requirement..and if I face any enforcement, I'll just extend my cruising distance. I might display a detailed cruising log next to the boat index number in a plastic folder of some sort. Not keen on contacting them beforehand...as I'm not guilty of anything and don't expect to be guilty of anything...just want to be left iin peace to get on with it...as long as I have the documentation to show a cruising pattern.  Even thought to buy some bikes and take the boats to Todmorden...it's only a 2km cycle back to the Walsden rail station....but the savings in rail fare is huge if you catch a train on the Manchester side of the summit. :)

Because of the situation the CRT could look at temporary ones would give them some income and help the situation.

Crap position to be put in, I'm really sorry for the grief it's causing.

I believe you are trying to do everything right, and I'm sure the C&RT enforcement team in the area would have to agree. I wasn't suggesting asking any sort of permission....merely establishing a regular point of contact early, at your instigation rather than theirs.....just in case.

Can't imagine they'd want to put notices on a purple boat anyway....it would clash terribly ;)

Good luck

Rog

7 minutes ago, billh said:

The  CRT enforcement officer for your area is a very reasonable , approachable fellow. Discuss your problem with him at the earliest opportunity, I am sure something can be sorted out.

Bill

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

In person is best, rather than by letter.

This follows on from what I said and is well worth doing. Our enforcement officer has always been helpful and understanding on the rare occasions a problem has occurred.  Offer of a cup of tea goes down well :D

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He really is a nice fella - not many of them would offer you a cuppa.

Ha ha except he would have to bring coffee :clapping: