Buying a Sailaway

Featured Posts

Well an interesting evening I met the guy and his partner and now know he has a genuine reason to sell the boat.  I did lots of measuring and need to work out how to fit in what I want and if it will work with the window placements.

The guy didn't know what an RCD was let alone have one.  Is this a deal breaker?

its lined out in 20mm kingspan which seems to be stuck to the boat.  Is this as good as sprayfoam? Should I be worried about what is behind it?

it has a canaline 38 fitted.  Good engine? Big enough to do rivers with a 57ft boat? A bit of water in the engine bay and a bit of rust on the driveshaft " I will try to attach a photo"  Should I be worried?

it has had a "professional" paint job which looks quite good but you could see the joints in the big plates on the top and body and it seemed to be blistering a tiny bit on the front deck.  The white panel lines and the name was all "stick on" which I didn't like. Is it easy to get the stick on off?

single glazed hopper windows and port holes?

appriciate your thoughts

Phil

DSCN1489.JPG

DSCN1494.JPG

DSCN1495.JPG

DSCN1499.JPG

I would say a good spray foam job is better than Celotex, but a good Celotex job is better than a poor sprayfoam one and I have seen some poor ones. Is it lined out,can you see how tight the Celotex sorry Kingspan is or are there gaps?

If you buy it I would suggest a flexible coupling on the drive.

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you buy it I would suggest a flexible coupling on the drive.

Unless it has a water lubricated stetn gland, such as the Vetus type.

These are not usually fitted with flexible coupling. Indeed I think it is only fairly  recently that Vetus have approved their use with a flexible coupling.