Pump out toilet efficiency. My mind is blown...

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I've decided to stop drinking water as i have discovered a lot of it was made millions of years ago so it must be stale by now.

Don't worry, its as good as new, its been recycled many times

20 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I've decided to stop drinking water as i have discovered a lot of it was made millions of years ago so it must be stale by now.

That is one of the great imponderables :

The water sits for millions of years underground and then suddenly we stick it in bottles and it has a Best Before Date.

How's that work then ?

How did we know which 'bit' to remove and bottle before it goes past it BBF date ?

Who decides ?

Why ?

27 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I never drink water its bloody lethal stuff. People drown in it and look what it does to the bottom of boats :o give me beer everytime a much safer alternative.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The water sits for millions of years underground and then suddenly we stick it in bottles and it has a Best Before Date.

How's that work then ?

How did we know which 'bit' to remove and bottle before it goes past it BBF date ?

Who decides ?

Why ?

Its determined by how long it takes for the nasties in the bottle material to leach into the water.

Some time ago someone posted on here, horrified that a man had pee'd in the canal.  It prompted me to do a quick calculation:   Take the typical Shroppie, say 10 metres wide.  Average depth across that width 1 metre (I wish!, but it is often more than 10m wide to compensate). so that is 10 million litres of water in one kilometre.  I don't think a bit of urine in that sort of quantity of water is going to make much difference. Particularly as half the water feeding the Shroppie is coming straight out of the Wolverhampton sewage works.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How's that work then ?

Who decides ?

Why ?

Having worked in the pharmaceutical industry I know that it is to do with the chemicals which leach out of the packaging over time that sets the BBF or expiry date.

22 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I doubt a bit of boater urine would make much difference

I reckon (on a very quick calculation) that the maximum possible concentration of human urine in the entire system would be about 1ppm. That is not a worry.

Edited by Machpoint005
for emphasis

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Its determined by how long it takes for the nasties in the bottle material to leach into the water.

1 hour ago, Dyertribe said:

Having worked in the pharmaceutical industry I know that it is to do with the chemicals which leach out of the packaging over time that sets the BBF or expiry date.

Glass bottles ?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I never drink water its bloody lethal stuff. People drown in it and look what it does to the bottom of boats :o give me beer everytime a much safer alternative.

That is I believe why porter and other weak beers were invented, so that farm labourers etc could rehydrate themselves at lunch time without the risk of water poisoning.

Your philosophy is correct but 100 years out of date, now that beer is so much stronger there is a real risk of beer poisoning, symptoms include a nasty headache and general inability to function.

.............Dave

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Glass bottles ?

Don't be silly, that would probably involve more expense and open the industry to having a deposit scheme forced on them. Better to pollute rivers, canals and seas than deplete board room pay and profits.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't be silly, that would probably involve more expense and open the industry to having a deposit scheme forced on them. Better to pollute rivers, canals and seas than deplete board room pay and profits.

We have mineral water in glass bottles (Blue-Keld) and it has a BBF date.

Having had 25 years in the plastics industry I understand about the possibility of leeching from Pet bottles, but glass ?

32 minutes ago, dmr said:

That is I believe why porter and other weak beers were invented, so that farm labourers etc could rehydrate themselves at lunch time without the risk of water poisoning.

Your philosophy is correct but 100 years out of date, now that beer is so much stronger there is a real risk of beer poisoning, symptoms include a nasty headache and general inability to function.

.............Dave

I am 100 years out of date :lol:

Lifeboat water is in tins and lasts for years, it doesn't taste that great but its safe. Bottled water if left in the light will happily grow algae and go green.

6 hours ago, Peter X said:

but it has been treated and it's diluted by all the water flowing in from the large catchment area of the Thames, so I'm not worried. 

I think you will find that the Thames often has a high level of untreated sewage in it

but it has been treated and it's diluted by all the water flowing in from the large catchment area of the Thames, so I'm not worried. 

I think you will find that the Thames often has a high level of untreated sewage in it

I think you will find that the Thames often has a high level of untreated sewage in it. 6 cases here http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/thames-water-fine-river-pollution-billion-litres-sewage-raw-a7643146.html

20 hours ago, MartynG said:

My first boat had a sea toilet.    It also had  a  Boat Safety Scheme Certificate .  The outlet from the  toilet had a sea cock that could be closed to prevent discharge into the water.

My present boat has a holding tank which has a deck pump out fitting. However it also has a macerator pump and sea cock  which allows the tank to be pumped out (below the water line) into the water.

We are perhaps lucky that in our area (River Trent) there are moorings at the locks and C&RT toilets available.  It is very rare for us to be moored where there is no shore toilets within a short walk. We use these shore facilities and therefore pee only in the toilet on the boat . 

We first hired a boat in 1967 from Canal Cruising. It has a sea toilet which emptied straight into the canal. This was common then. Barred not too long after.

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How's that work then ?

Who decides ? the marketing men.

Why ? to sell more bottled water.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Glass bottles ?

Glass bottles have metal or plastic caps, often lined in the case of metal tops with a silicone or latex type lining, it is this that degrades or leaches chemicals