New Paint Job....What & What Not Colours!?

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Mine is purple and light grey because I let the Mrs choose and cadbury's purple has always been her face colour

I can't believe no-one has yet questioned the colour of your wife's face...

59 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

It's always intrigued me that there are very few white, or predominantly white, narrowboats.

I looked at one for sale some years ago and I thought it looked very smart, not dirty as you might expect. 

The length of the boat comes into it as well.  I think long grey boats look dreary but a short boat seems to suit the colour.  I repainted our first boat a litttle 25 footer in grey, main problem is people kept asking me what colour was it going to be when I'd finished it.

Funny that?....thought white would show up the dirt more as well...having said that, if I get a new paint job I will be keeping it clean no matter what colour.

foord for thought though?

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

It's always intrigued me that there are very few white, or predominantly white, narrowboats.

I looked at one for sale some years ago and I thought it looked very smart, not dirty as you might expect. 

The length of the boat comes into it as well.  I think long grey boats look dreary but a short boat seems to suit the colour.  I repainted our first boat a litttle 25 footer in grey, main problem is people kept asking me what colour was it going to be when I'd finished it.

Surprising as I would have expected to show up dirt more, am happy to use a bit of white but I prefer the darker background contrasting to the brighter coaching and art work

.....I think! ....all food for thought

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Very appropriate for a boat in a carpet town.

:D:blink: just seen your post

so .....keep looking at costs and been told you need to do the stripping in a tunnel and NOT on the river, no surprise there really, what I have no clue about is how far a 25litre can of good Gloss paint will go on the boat?....trying to work out just how much things will cost if I do a full strip back and DIY job.....I can't take too long off work as am self employed so have to factor in the cost of a second week as lost earnings, first week would be holiday.

How much would a professional job cost in a boatyard v the cost of me doing it, hiring / buying sander and other equipment etc., albeit feeling better about it at the end .....provided that I don't smeg it up?

Big choices

7 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

told you need to do the stripping in a tunnel

Last time I did that i got arrested. It was the  picadilly  line though (joke). 

You could get your boat vinyl wrapped and forget the painting

25l is a lot of paint. 

Edited by rusty69

If you download a data sheet for a paint brand it will have the coverage in m2 per litre.

Depends on length but a pro back to metal will cost several thousand pounds.  Over £100 a foot as a guess. And prob an 18 month lead time. And take several weeks. Have you seen oxon paint co videos on you tube? 

Edited by mark99

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Last time I did that i got arrested. It was the  picadilly  line though (joke). 

You could get your boat vinyl wrapped and forget the painting

25l is a lot of paint. 

:D

6 minutes ago, mark99 said:

If you download a data sheet for a paint brand it will have the coverage in m2 per litre.

Depends on length but a pro back to metal will cost several thousand pounds.  Over £100 a foot as a guess. And prob an 18 month lead time. And take several weeks. Have you seen oxon paint co videos on you tube? 

Will have a look for that now...

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

They start here: 

Good video and second one shows how quick you can do the job with the right tools....well how quick he can :D ...still looks far quicker than I was expecting in second video....thought it would take me a week to strip the old stuff off....need to rewatch again.

23 hours ago, Neil2 said:

The thing I learned from those videos is not to even think about painting my own boat though maybe that's the intention.

Just watched it all again and seems like a lot of resting compared to some of the threads on here for professional paint jobs....wait time alone between coats etc. for these videos seemed to add up to about 8-11 days....and that is with the right equipment.

How on earth do these guys reprint under a bridge and keep all those bloody flies off!?...I can't even paint a fence panel without adding a few dozen new insect bumps.

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Just watched it all again and seems like a lot of resting compared to some of the threads on here for professional paint jobs....wait time alone between coats etc. for these videos seemed to add up to about 8-11 days....and that is with the right equipment.

How on earth do these guys reprint under a bridge and keep all those bloody flies off!?...I can't even paint a fence panel without adding a few dozen new insect bumps.

Repaint not reprint :rolleyes: